Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Injector cup for EFI?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RVA  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:32 pm    Post subject: Injector cup for EFI? Reply with quote

Does anyone know what injector cup would just bolt straight in the head like the original cups, but that works for EFI injectors?

924 2.0 NA
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used VW part # 058 133 555 for my conversions; first on a 931, next up soon on a 924 NA.

It's a plastic piece, requires a little work to fit the long-nose injectors (I used Bosch 0 280 158 123 for the Turbo, but will use 0 280 155 892 for the NA for lower flow - 2001 Audi TT injector). Mainly, as I recall, just have to trim off the upper flange so the injector can fit all the way in. Ah, and bore the inside out a little as well.

Thread is M24 x 1.5, and the hardest part is probably removing the old plastic inserts - they seem to have pretty much bonded in over all the years. May need a tap to clean them properly, depending on how yours come out.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
RVA  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay thank you, will look into that.

Would it also be possible to just keep the original inserts? maybe by using a thicker or smaller o-ring on the injector? Or making small modifications to the inserts so injectors would fit?

I already know that removing them will probably be an absolute nightmare, so i would like to avoid that if possible.
safe  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a nightmare to have vacuum leaks in the injectors.
It's not hard to get the kjet bungs out of the head. I have removed them from 2 heads and 7 out of 8 came out in reusable shape. If they are hard and brittle, they come out in smaller pieces.
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had a 50/50 experience with removing the original bungs.
Some came out fairly easily some in pieces, but even the ones that came out werent really reuseable.

I made my own bungs for the efi kits but those vw ones look pretty good if they fit your application.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, forgot about yours! Those would definitely be more plug-n-play. Was just looking at mine again yesterday, trying to remember exactly how I modded them, beyond just trimming off the flanges.

Any tips you guys can share here about removal of the old ones? The Turbo was easy, since they just unscrew, and tend to be stripped out anyway. I have the proper 12mm allen socket - or is it 14? Anyway, I have that, but playing around with a spare head I can't seem to get them to even think about budging.

Heat? Penetrating oil?

I'd really like to have a clean removal on the next one, since it'll be with the head installed... will run a vacuum to try to hoover up any loose bits, but still...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
safe  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

924RACR wrote:
Damn, forgot about yours! Those would definitely be more plug-n-play. Was just looking at mine again yesterday, trying to remember exactly how I modded them, beyond just trimming off the flanges.

Any tips you guys can share here about removal of the old ones? The Turbo was easy, since they just unscrew, and tend to be stripped out anyway. I have the proper 12mm allen socket - or is it 14? Anyway, I have that, but playing around with a spare head I can't seem to get them to even think about budging.

Heat? Penetrating oil?

I'd really like to have a clean removal on the next one, since it'll be with the head installed... will run a vacuum to try to hoover up any loose bits, but still...

I just had the allen socket and penetrant. I was pretty surprised much torque I could apply on those plastic things. A bit back and forth.

I turned some new ones in aluminium and used Bosch extended tip injectors.
3D printing bungs is possible too.
Porsche 931 -79
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get an EFI kit from me and you dont have to worry about bungs, everything bolts on and fits. Spend a saturday afternoon installing parts and in the evening you can go drive it.

safe  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
Get an EFI kit from me and you dont have to worry about bungs, everything bolts on and fits. Spend a saturday afternoon installing parts and in the evening you can go drive it.

Do you have a ballpark price and what is included?
No interest right now, but I have a 931 that needs a total restoration. Future project.
Porsche 931 -79
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

safe wrote:
morghen wrote:

No interest right now, but I have a 931 that needs a total restoration. Future project.

Havent done the math on the 931 yet, some parts will be different from the NA/SC EFI so there will be a cost difference..not huge tho.
Ballbark is around 2k for the NA/SC EFI kit.

Included is: pre-mapped ECU, injectors, sensors, plug-in wiring loom, bracekts for all the added parts, fuel block, fuel lines, coil pack and stem to mount that in place of the dizzy.
You need to buy a specific TB.
safe  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
safe wrote:
morghen wrote:

Havent done the math on the 931 yet, some parts will be different from the NA/SC EFI so there will be a cost difference..not huge tho.
Ballbark is around 2k for the NA/SC EFI kit.

Included is: pre-mapped ECU, injectors, sensors, plug-in wiring loom, bracekts for all the added parts, fuel block, fuel lines, coil pack and stem to mount that in place of the dizzy.
You need to buy a specific TB.

That's not horrible at all. I'll recommend this to anyone.
Porsche 931 -79
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you mean 2k Euro...

But yeah, not at all a bad price! I think I was nearly at $2k USD just for the parts for my 931 conversion...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah its around 2k euro.
The parts are nearly that indeed..but anyone can order parts.

The value is that these parts were fitted and tested together to a certain extent.
Also the looks of the original engine bay may matter to some, they do to me.
But a large + is the pre-mapped ecu, pre-set everything and ready to fire up out of the box thing.
And the plug-in wiring harness with pre-determined positions so that you literally need 10-15 minutes to fit it.

For a handful of you that are capable of doing an efi conversion on your own may just be less time spent if it were for you to get such a kit..but imagine if you didnt know all that you do or just didnt have the time to do it or to learn the things required to know..how would that go trying to do an efi conversion without the stuff mentioned above?
Same thing as for the SC kit, all the know-how, calculations, experience, trials, prototypes, grazed knuckles and late evenings spent wrenching and crunching thoughts, even the damn gas spent testing and improving....goes into ordering the right parts so that 924 can be a little bit better. Put a price on that.

Hijacked this thread properly!
safe  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:

Also the looks of the original engine bay may matter to some, they do to me.

This would be the biggest thing for my 931. Something I couldn't easily do myself. Not sure if it would fool a smog inspection in California, but it might.

Just an EFI I have done for 3 engines now, not a big thing.
A map that works is nice as a baseline, but I think every engine needs a rolling road tune to get it working the best since there is always differences.
Porsche 931 -79
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I think one of the most time-consuming things when I converted my Turbo was making the wiring. Lots of time invested there, particularly to do it both right and well, IMO actually more complex than doing the plumbing (which was, to me at least, substantially simpler).

So there's great value there in having that be plug and play, for sure - above and beyond just having the right mechanical and hydraulic parts to bolt in.
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: