Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

How to fix rust holes in rear badge panel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SorenPeterson  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:46 am    Post subject: How to fix rust holes in rear badge panel Reply with quote

Ok my 924 has had some major abuse in its life. mostly from a stupid fiberlass wing that the prev owner installed wich trapped moisture and rusted holes along the rear badge panel and parts of both quarters.

Seen here
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9Ln4xr5gTWPt1M8g6
This photo is trash il send more when i get home.

So how would one fix this? right now im probly going to just weld the holes but the metal around is realy thin and flexes with light pressure. what also concernes me is that some of the holes are right on the seam between the quarter and the rear, or are just too large to weld with my skills.

My other options are to find metal from a similar car and fab a patch panel but there is still the question about the seam.

Or i could find a 924 and chop the end off and weld a new badge panel on.
peterld  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that dark horizontal line is rust holes, then a donor panel is in order.
barnwerks  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacement panels or sections will be the only reasonable way to repair this.
I have a parts car and am willing to cut the upper badge panel with the seams to the quarters for you but it's a 944 so the quarters forward of the seam will be different. Also shipping from the north east might be $. Maybe find a 924 in a local junkyard and bring a battery sawzall. Good luck.
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to differ on this one: I think donor sheet metal would be more of a "nice to have" than necessity. The way I'd go about it would be to cut maybe 2x4" sections, working at least an inch or so above the crease line, and doing your best to match the contour section by section as you go. The curve at the quarter would be the most difficult, but might not be too bad if it's a fairly narrow strip that's badly rusted (it sort of looks like you've got a line of pinholes; hard to tell how badly compromised the rest of the rusty areas are). If you can get donor sheet metal fairly cheap, it'd probably be worth the trouble, especially if that panel isn't too hard to swap out whole. Whether you get a replacement piece or just patch it up with scrap metal, I'd patch as small a section as possible if you can't or don't want to replace the panel(s) whole.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: