Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Making adapters for Boxster brembo calipers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joma  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric wrote:
Joma wrote:
Cedric wrote:
The parts just arrived from machining, made in steel with nickel plating. Everything seem to line up great. So time to gets some proper pads and put everything together. The fitment with cookie cutters 15" for example still needs to be checked. I have some 15" BBS wheels around aswell that i could try. With some help of a friend we did some half decent FEM calculations, and updated the design to be sure they outlast me and the car

The spare set might be up for grabs if someone have plans to try this mod, and could drive their car sooner than i can drive mine

They look really nice.

i still want them, but i will be a while before i can test fit them
currently working on the outside of the car.
and need to have the callipers rebuild and repainted.

so i want them but cant immediately fit them

What wheels do you intend to use?

Today I had some wheel fitting tryout, i tried 15" BBS mahle, 16" Fuchs (Maxilite), 16" D90. The BBS wheels and especially D90s had plenty of room. the Fuchs were much tighter now that i moved the caliper out to accommodate the wider brake disc, but it fits, i just have to relocate the balancing weights to be sure they doesnt touch

currently using 15'' cookie cutters but those will be swapped for 17'' fuchs,
so plenty of room for the calipers.
H2OSB  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize if this is a bit off topic, but it's the same area.

Does the 931 use the same spindles are the 924?

I had 924 spindles mounted on my '74 VW Super Beetle with an adapter to mount Boxster REAR calipers over 944 rotors (if I recall correctly). I have three sets of 15 inch, 5x130 pcd wheels, a set of steel 944 space saver spares, a set of the red alloy 951/928 space saver spares, and a set of 15x6 teledials. None of the wheels would clear the brake calipers. I was forced to abandon the project.

It sounds like you guys are not having the same wheel fitment issue, considering you're using Boxster front calipers, which are slightly larger than the rears. Incidentally, Boxster rears (blacks) on the front of a Super Beetle, are a good balanced match with n/a 944 rears which is what I have. Ultimately, I bought a kit with 42mm, two piston calipers over 20mm wide, vented rotors.

Anyway, I was just curious why I had wheel interference issues.
!tom  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spindles for the 924 4-bolt (solid disk front, drum rear) and the 5-stud (disks all around) are different. Depends on the options which is on the 924 or 931.
H2OSB  

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

!tom wrote:
Spindles for the 924 4-bolt (solid disk front, drum rear) and the 5-stud (disks all around) are different. Depends on the options which is on the 924 or 931.

Is it the same as the 944 spindle?
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now i actually have had a first test drive, which was interesting. I opted for Ferrodo DS 3.12 pads, since its quite a recent pad compund and they say it doesnt squeel when cold, and its almost impossible to make it fade. However they do have very high coefficient of friction, together with the new calipers it was very easy to overwhelm the road tyres Lets see how it behaves with my Rcomp tyres on track, maybe i will need to either step up the rear compound aswell, or in worst case use two sets of pads on the front, one for the road and one for track.

Anyway, fun to test the new setup, i think I will enjoy it alot Im glad everything fitted well and seems to just work, the pedal feel is improved for sure with the stiffer calipers.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:
I apologize if this is a bit off topic, but it's the same area.

Does the 931 use the same spindles are the 924?

I had 924 spindles mounted on my '74 VW Super Beetle with an adapter to mount Boxster REAR calipers over 944 rotors (if I recall correctly). I have three sets of 15 inch, 5x130 pcd wheels, a set of steel 944 space saver spares, a set of the red alloy 951/928 space saver spares, and a set of 15x6 teledials. None of the wheels would clear the brake calipers. I was forced to abandon the project.

It sounds like you guys are not having the same wheel fitment issue, considering you're using Boxster front calipers, which are slightly larger than the rears. Incidentally, Boxster rears (blacks) on the front of a Super Beetle, are a good balanced match with n/a 944 rears which is what I have. Ultimately, I bought a kit with 42mm, two piston calipers over 20mm wide, vented rotors.

Anyway, I was just curious why I had wheel interference issues.

It depends alot on what hub spacing you have, do you run 924spindles and some type of adapter plates, or 924 turbo spindles? Wheels can vary alot oaswell, some are roomy and some are very tight inside, depending on how they where designed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: