Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Mustang 5.0L HO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBass  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let you guys prattle on with your Ford hate

There is a bit of a difference between putting a big block in a compact and putting a 5 cylinder in a 924, don't you think? You need to upgrade the clutch to 931 or 944 specs, so you might as well replace the tranny with a 931 or 944 unit anyways. Take the axles with that too, and I don't really see what is going to break.

Hey Lizard, were those the pics of the Audi 5 cylinder I posted, or ones I haven't seen yet?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
speedsta2003  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2003 SVT Mustang Cobra is probably one of the best built fords ever. Thought Supercharged, it runs a good 0-60 in 4.9 seconds, and 1/4mi in under 14 seconds. While maintaining awesome control, and holding almost 1g on the skid pad. I would love to own one of these. While keeping up w/ a new porsche, and also having a first mustang six speed, this baby only runs for 35,000 dollars compared to 60+ thousand dollars for a porsche, with the same or worse performance.
Paul  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 20 years someone will be driving your Porsche, the Mustang will be a 1 foot high pile of crushed metal.
CBass  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't imagine many SVT Cobras go to the crushers, unless someone crashes them
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jrod-13  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little more info on the 5.0 swap. The mustang motors have a dual sump pan, that may/may not clear the stock cross member in a 924.

however, the 5.0 is a physicly smaller motor than a chevy v-8, and has less weight. The distributer is also in the front, making it easier to position the motor. The efi intake is also very low, and would fit under the stock hood.
The 5.0 is also by far, one of, if not they most reliiable motors out there. Ive seen them run for well over 300,000 miles. Most chevies are worn out before the 200,000 range.

I see someone mentioned the 4.6 motor. It was first released by ford as a DOHC motor, in the 93' lincolns, and in 92' for crown vics as a sohc motor. The main problem with swaping in one of these motors, is the shear size. Even the sohc version, is wider, and weighs more than a 5.0L motor. The dohc motor is similar in size to the ford 7.5L big block.

Someone also mentioned the 03' cobra, this car is in a class of its own, the performance to doller ratio is unbelieveable. Most people are running the quarter mile in the 12.5-12.7 second range, stock. With nothing more than a air filter, and free flowing exhuast, these cars are making over 430rwhp. Add a chip, and smaller pulley to that, and you are looking at 460+ rwhp.

One of these cars recently ran a 9.99 quarter mile, and put down 780rwhp.

Im not trying to change anyones opinions here, just get some facts out. My 924 was one of the best cars i ever owned, but cant compare to the power, gas milage, and reliability that my mustang now offers. Where as the mustang has no where near the handeling, braking, and looks that my 924 had.
Aegean  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started this thread quite a while ago...I've been on leave lately.
You guys argue about the better engine... the 302 is GOLDEN I saw a 2003 Cobra run 12.8 - 13.11's last night at Norwalk Drag Strip...
I'm going to start saving for the conversion I think.

Monday Morning: 1:00 AM

Well my car died this morning... Might be completely screwed... Maybe it's PMSing? I think the CIS ate something and is clogged up ECT... This blows, don't exactly have cash flow right now.

Laters

Last edited by Aegean on Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
RageLtMan  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't help but get involved in the ford vs porsche thing... just for your info, off a line, a ford would do a 924, 944, hell even a 968. However, taking turns in a car with an engine that weighs roughly half a 924 just by itself is somewhat ungodly. Secondly, those things are geared for drag, on a highway, i molested a 92 mustang GT 'till he gave up, hit his brake, and sat behind me for the rest of the evening back to Boston.

The thing, is, if you gave my engine the 5l displacement (hey, look a 928), you'd get an engine FAR superior to the 5.0L ford block. N/A those things could put out in excess of 500 HP without weighing as much. Then again... i'm just making a few points
plunger  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The thing, is, if you gave my engine the 5l displacement (hey, look a 928), you'd get an engine FAR superior to the 5.0L ford block. N/A those things could put out in excess of 500 HP without weighing as much."

If you gave your engine the 5L displacement you would have a 600 lb
motor just like the 928. A Ford 5.0 with aluminum heads wieghs 400 lbs,
almost exactly what a 944 turbo weighs.

A 92 GT would come from the factory with 2.73, 3.08 or 3.27 gears.
Hardly drag gears.

Rob
1982Porsche924  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you gave your engine the 5L displacement you would have a 600 lb
motor just like the 928. A Ford 5.0 with aluminum heads wieghs 400 lbs,
almost exactly what a 944 turbo weighs.

We're talking theoretical here, I'm sure Porsche would never allow their engine to reach that much, and just multiplying the engine weight isn't the way to figure these types of things out. Anyways, you're comparing apples and oranges here. Also, what the hell is a Ford guy doing on the 924 boards?

Also, Chevy is better.
Body: Fiberglass widebody kit, 931 Nose
RageLtMan  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually there was a 928 5.0L at some point, or at least i've seen them (two, at different times, with different owners, looked about the same though). i dunno if these things were made factory (i've only seen it in s4's), but the output is rediculous, and the engine itself doesn't seem TOO heavy in that car as the thing still handles better than God's Ferrari. Granted, in a 924 you'd shoot yourself trying to mount it, but in the s4 body, it actually makes sense.

BTW, one of the 5L S4 owners told me that he had never lost off a line to a stang, and he goes to the track on his car... interesting considering the fact that a porsche just isn't drag geared either.
plunger  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point I was trying to make is that the 2.5L motor is half of a 928
motor. That is what it was based on and supposedly it weighs 600 lbs.
Why am I on this board? I like engine swaps and my 944 has a 5L Ford in it.
Rob
1982Porsche924  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the GTS has a 5.4 liter V8, i'll check when i get home.
Body: Fiberglass widebody kit, 931 Nose
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 928 had in the early models a 4.5L and in the late models a 5.4L engine, the late engines were very easy to get to 600 bhp with a port and polish and a good camshaft, or a superchager, and they have lots of torque, the earlier models with the 4.5L were alittle harder to get up there but they didn't have interference engines, and the 2.5L 944 engine can be taken to about 2.7L or 3.0L and with an updated turbo, cam and a couple of other mods they can push more than 600 bhp
Aegean  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
The 928 5.4 liter is the sweetest porsche, short of a 911 Turbo, that you can buy, and yes it will make alot of power and is closer to dragging gears than the 924-968 series. But, for a guy living in America where just the waterpump for a 928 is $1,600 compared to the cost of one that goes on a 302 you start to see a huge difference. Plus a carb'ed 302 is a hell of alot easier and more simple to work on than a 928 engine. I'm not a "ford guy",yet anyways, the parts are cheaper, the engine can easily pull 400-500 horse without forced induction. Considering I'd be building this drivetrain completely up why do it the simple way and put an un-modified engine into perfectly good car?

Picture this...
924 D conversion (Red of course:-D)
GTR modified head lamps
5L 302 (maybe a newer GT40 AL block and heads version)
Tremec 55/56 Tranny
8.8 or 9 inch gears
Dual Flowmaster 40 attached to a Bassanni X pipe and MAC headers
Intake
Underdrive pully
Big carb

Thats alot of moderatly cheap HP right there... if it's not enough you can easily set up a NOS on a 302 and add 100 hp.

The real problem with doing any kind of swap whether it be a 302, LS1, or a rocket engine is catching traction and not screwing up the handling or "art" of the car. Which will suffer greatly by doing a swap...
Doesn't matter if it says Porsche, Ford, Chevy, or NASA underneath the hood as long as it huals major balls... As long as the outside still looks like a red sexy little porsche sports car it's all good.

BTW: There's a 928 for sale at an auction around my area that I'm going to go check out... Might be upgrading from my 924 N/a to a 928.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 928 water pump isn't that much up here, I looked into it and the ball joints were $140 cdn, and the water pump was around $500 cdn if I remember correctly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: