Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

My "Rat rod" 924 NA turbo conversion.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
safe  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from the dyno after having upgraded the clutch and converted to EFI (well flex fuel really).
Everything ran smoothly, had to change plugs for the last pull. From a NGK bpr7es to BR8ES. Colder and non protruding electrode.

It made a healthy 375 at the hubs! at 1.86 bar (27 psi)

I'm quite happy with that! Not sure my gearbox and torque tube are as ecstatic.

Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, a fantastic result!
And here i was thinking that the standard pistons and 9,3:1 CR cant take much more than what i'm putting trough the supercharger setup (0.3bar)
With more of these cars proving the strength and potential of the 924 2L lump, soon enough we will have other make car guys swapping in our 2L into other cas
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im so happy for the success you had with the tuning, and i love the simple approach. Ive been trying to tell people for years to not overcomplicate things and put money where you get most out of it, to get power out of these things. Your project is like that and achieved some great results, im glad to see it happening.

I dont think project black dynoed more than this? So is this should be the stock(ish) engine world record so far? Need to go back to that thread and have a look:)

Your std 924 brakes will probably have the time of their life, these are the pads we talked about HB198N.685
safe  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
And here i was thinking that the standard pistons and 9,3:1 CR cant take much more than what i'm putting trough the supercharger setup (0.3bar)
With more of these cars proving the strength and potential of the 924 2L lump, soon enough we will have other make car guys swapping in our 2L into other cas

I'm writing something to post on the Porsche 924 owners facebook group about playing to the strength of the engine instead of putting on bike carbs...

I brought with me a spare head, rod and piston to the tuner, who is also an engine builder, so he could have a look at the parts he is playing with.
He thought the were no issues pushing the rods to 500 hp, he liked the piston cooling too. From what I gather oil cooling the pistons are very good for cast pistons, its good for forged to but they don't require it.
He also thought that the pistons where thick, which is good for boost, the rings are wide (2mm?) good and sturdy too. 9 mm valve stems can take a lot of heat.
He thought that if I was going to improve something it would be the head, forged pistons wouldn't be bad pushing it further.
Porsche 931 -79
safe  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric wrote:
Im so happy for the success you had with the tuning, and i love the simple approach. Ive been trying to tell people for years to not overcomplicate things and put money where you get most out of it, to get power out of these things. Your project is like that and achieved some great results, im glad to see it happening.

I dont think project black dynoed more than this? So is this should be the stock(ish) engine world record so far? Need to go back to that thread and have a look:)

Your std 924 brakes will probably have the time of their life, these are the pads we talked about HB198N.685

Yes, keep it simple, spend where it matters the most. EFI is in my opinion essential to keep control of the engine parameters.

"Stockish world record" Claiming it!!

Will try to get those pads, its a bit to exciting braking right now.
Porsche 931 -79
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

safe wrote:
morghen wrote:

I'm writing something to post on the Porsche 924 owners facebook group about playing to the strength of the engine instead of putting on bike carbs...

I brought with me a spare head, rod and piston to the tuner, who is also an engine builder, so he could have a look at the parts he is playing with.
He thought the were no issues pushing the rods to 500 hp, he liked the piston cooling too. From what I gather oil cooling the pistons are very good for cast pistons, its good for forged to but they don't require it.
He also thought that the pistons where thick, which is good for boost, the rings are wide (2mm?) good and sturdy too. 9 mm valve stems can take a lot of heat.
He thought that if I was going to improve something it would be the head, forged pistons wouldn't be bad pushing it further.

Theres been lots of strange priorities over the years, stroker cranks, expensive valve train and head stuff, etc etc. Lots of it not needed to make decent power in boosted form, na is different of course. But playing with the strenghts as you say instead of trying to fix the weaknesses is way more easy to do

The FB crowd will get their mind blown, lots of people seem to think you need to 1,8T swap for anything above 200hp. You would probably bend a rod in half if you put this much toruqe on a std 1.8T rod. Im not sure for how long the 924 engine will survive, but it has a decent chance on a low reving setup. The key to keep OEM stuff like cast pistons live at high HP levels is to keep it from detonating(even very lightly), if you do that they can handle more than most people think. Having good control over the engine and a very high efficiency turbosystem is key, and E85 will of course make magic to any turbocharged engine, especially those who are very knock limited.
safe  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1.8T rods are not impressive.

The engine was knock limited on gas. He had to dial back the timing on top to keep the knock away.
Now with ethanol he gave it back a few degrees, 4 I think. With that the power increased and the boost lowered (keeping it burning more in the cylinder).
From 235@1.05bar on 98 to 247@0.9 bar on e85, if I understood him right.

He was very pleased with how the ECU calculated the fuel from 98 map to e85 map with the flexfuel sensor. Just a few load cells that needed a maximum of 5% correction.

We talked a bit about his race car (drag racing) and engine. He use a 3rz (think that right) 2.7 liter 4 banger with a 4 valve head, found i Toyota Hiace, van engine!!
Its a big cast iron block, big forged crank, much like the 924 except it has a head that flows a lot.... He was making 1500+ hp with 4-4.5 bar running 6 second passes. He had a larger turbo on the shelf when he needed more boost....
Porsche 931 -79
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw 1.8t rods leave the block at 350Nm.
The vw 1.8t engine may be easy to tune and get some extra power since it has a good engine management...but if you strap a good engine management to the 924 engine...as proven here and before, you can get results like 350-450hp and 500-600Nm of torque.
safe  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can add that the intercooler works really good, cheap China stuff, 3" 600mm by 300mm.
Intake temp held at 37 degrees C and it was about 25 C ambient (if not more).
It was quite a task to fit but well worth it. The dyno had a pretty good setup with blowing air on the front.

Coolant did not go over 85 C.
Porsche 931 -79
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

safe wrote:

That's amazing.

How are you controlling boost?
safe  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck21401 wrote:
safe wrote:

That's amazing.

How are you controlling boost?

Yes, it really is! Good engine in the right application (= turbo).

I have a 4-port MAC valve that the ECU controls.
Porsche 931 -79
safe  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd to 5th street pull, in Mexico or German autobahn...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ZmwlBSBBw

Scary enough with stock brakes!
Porsche 931 -79
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty mental
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's darned impressive - that thing runs like a scalded rat! Makes me more tempted to add water injection to mine and push it up. Once I get it road-worthy... I notice the temp gauge has shot up in the red by the end of it; not too surprising unless it's got a bigger radiator (and at this power level, maybe even that's not enough). I figured the stock bottom end could hold quite a bit more power, but would have guessed the "goes boom" zone was lower than this. Hopefully it holds up; even if it doesn't, all you'd have to do is throw another engine in and back it down a bit. It seems to me all the octane you're throwing at it (e85 - ok, it's technically not octane), is the key. Cast pistons are really only fragile when it comes to the shock loads of detonation, and it's easy to have it going on when you think you've backed down below that line- people get low levels of detonation that go undetected and destroy the engine sooner or later, and "it must be the cast pistons!" I've seen this on performance two-strokes (in snowmobiles): they run closer to the edge than most engines, and even with knock detection systems, they can self-destruct; happened to me, and I never had a warning from the ECU. But with all the effective octane you've got (plus good tuning, of course), it seems you've not just tamed, but slain that dragon. Definitely a lesson I'm taking to heart if/when I start pushing mine up.
safe  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beartooth wrote:
That's darned impressive - that thing runs like a scalded rat! Makes me more tempted to add water injection to mine and push it up. Once I get it road-worthy... I notice the temp gauge has shot up in the red by the end of it; not too surprising unless it's got a bigger radiator (and at this power level, maybe even that's not enough). I figured the stock bottom end could hold quite a bit more power, but would have guessed the "goes boom" zone was lower than this. Hopefully it holds up; even if it doesn't, all you'd have to do is throw another engine in and back it down a bit. It seems to me all the octane you're throwing at it (e85 - ok, it's technically not octane), is the key. Cast pistons are really only fragile when it comes to the shock loads of detonation, and it's easy to have it going on when you think you've backed down below that line- people get low levels of detonation that go undetected and destroy the engine sooner or later, and "it must be the cast pistons!" I've seen this on performance two-strokes (in snowmobiles): they run closer to the edge than most engines, and even with knock detection systems, they can self-destruct; happened to me, and I never had a warning from the ECU. But with all the effective octane you've got (plus good tuning, of course), it seems you've not just tamed, but slain that dragon. Definitely a lesson I'm taking to heart if/when I start pushing mine up.

What is quite insane is that the stock head gasket with stock head bolts can keep that combustion pressure!!
I'm more concerned with the torque tube and gearbox than the engine.
But I have another engine built a little more serious than this engine. With that I plan to max out the turbo. It should be able to push out another 100 hp or close to it.

Water-Meth injection is the second best thing after ethanol from what I have read.
The temp gauge, and other gauges, they live their own life most of the time.
Detonation is not a thing with e85 (or any other alcohol fuel), that's what my tuner said anyway. Magic. Its not only the octane, its also how it burns and the extra amount of fuel you put in that keeps it cool.
Porsche 931 -79
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: