Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Cooling the engine bay
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chardorcher  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:28 pm    Post subject: Cooling the engine bay Reply with quote

Has anyone experimented with ideas of how to keep the engine bay cool, extracting the heat from the carb area especially. i was thinking of doing one or two air ways coming from front or bottom of front car area. One could blow on the exhaust and maybe the other letting fresh air in to the carbs.. I would use air tubing since I think this would direct the air better than just putting holes in the bonnet and fitting vents. Im sure vents work though also. I had a guy suggesting I fit some sort of 12 volt type extractor in an area near the exhaust but i think this would be taking it too far. Im told these engines work better if cool/ed.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't seem necessary. We run with stock bodywork, full-beans racing, and cooling is fine. Stock rad, just needs an oil cooler added.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
chardorcher  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

924RACR wrote:
Doesn't seem necessary. We run with stock bodywork, full-beans racing, and cooling is fine. Stock rad, just needs an oil cooler added.

Temperatures here in Malta go 40+ in summer, though my concern is really the hills I am to visit in Sicily once the car is running and set up proper, just don't want to heat up in those hills alone. Advice on oil cooler taken though as it was on my list, probably move it up a bit on the shopping list now that i know it would effect cooling.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running with the bottom cover installed is the easiest way to keep air moving through there.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
Running with the bottom cover installed is the easiest way to keep air moving through there.

A friend tried with and without on his car on track, removing it lowered the oil temps by a measurable amount, not an issue with an oil cooler Though.

Open carbs in the engine bay that sucks hot air isnt a great idea, an air box and snorkel would help that.
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run an oil cooler in front of part of my radiator on the race car and temps are fine with full race setup. I've also run with and without the plate under the engine and can't tell any difference in temps.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We run without the pan, because it's massively in the way for any work on the engine.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work on the engine???? It's a Porsche. It doesn't need any work....
OOps, I forgot. It's an Audi.
Actually, my engine has been bulletproof for 5 seasons. Changed the oil every season. Still no leaks.
When I get my new H-Prod engine done, I'll be bringing the car into the shop to do some triage on the old engine. I'm curious about the leakdown but the butt dyno has been saying all is good for the past 4 years. Lap times were the same for those years and when I put in the H-Prod cam this year, I knocked off a half second. Looking forward to a big bump in compression and lighter weight engine parts.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric wrote:
Rasta Monsta wrote:

A friend tried with and without on his car on track, removing it lowered the oil temps by a measurable amount, not an issue with an oil cooler Though.

Open carbs in the engine bay that sucks hot air isnt a great idea, an air box and snorkel would help that.

Air dam, or factory nose?

Also, not surprising that oil temps are reduced with finned pan hanging in the breeze, but I still think overall movement of air (and under hood AIR temps. ..OP's question) is improved with belly pan.
chardorcher  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:

That was removed(previous owner) referring to the bottom cover , should I refit then? Im trying to extract/blow away/cool any hot air produced from the engine especially from the exhaust side , and if possible not boxing the webers as this will muffle the sound produced by the same carbs. I am going to test fit a tubing system direct towards the exhaust from the front of the car forcing fresh air on to the exhaust maybe this might help ccol the area or let more fresh air produced by the speed in. I am going to try to do the same on the carb side also, in theory this should feed the area with fresh moving air towards the carbs, I will have to find a method to take temps with or without these.

I just asked maybe you guys having experience with these cars have set up your own systems , yet it seems the normals have been put to practice too.(oil cooler/ dam removal etc)
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that on race cars, we remove the fan. If you still have one on your car, you already have air blowing across everything all the time. Wasting your time on trying for extra air flow. The only thing the factory did in that regard was for the alternator. They also designed the belly pan to help in that area so for a stock engine, put it on. Vaughan has removed his for ease of maintenance and mine is gone due to weight.
chardorcher  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifty50Plus wrote:
Keep in mind that on race cars, we remove the fan. If you still have one on your car, you already have air blowing across everything all the time. Wasting your time on trying for extra air flow. The only thing the factory did in that regard was for the alternator. They also designed the belly pan to help in that area so for a stock engine, put it on. Vaughan has removed his for ease of maintenance and mine is gone due to weight.

Got it Fifty,, so I will re fit the pan, yet doesnt the fan throw onto the rad only,, is it known then that the air blown from the fan tends to 'spread itself' possibly when hitting the fan as this was not considered by my self and would be of great importance if so.
safe  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are driving, above 50 km/h you have pretty good airflow and the temperatures are slightly above ambient. Driving slower then the temp rises.

If slow traffic is an issue you can try removing the rubber seal between the firewall and hood. You run the risk of getting hot engine air into the fresh air intake...

If you find a rood way to extract hot air from the engine bay, I'm interested. My car get too hot under the hood driving slow.
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

safe wrote:
If you find a rood way to extract hot air from the engine bay, I'm interested. My car get too hot under the hood driving slow.

Hood vents?
safe  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
safe wrote:

Hood vents?

May have to do that, but I would like to avoid it cutting up my turbo hood.

Also I'm not sure it would work that well. The hot air "piles up" near the fire wall (can get up to 120 C when stopped), its that air I would need to remove and if I do a vent there I might bugger up the air flow at speed.
I would really like to be able to remove the air by a fan, many new cars do it like that.
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: