Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Picked up this '80 931 yesterday!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter -

For Sure!

Very soon she will be my daily driver. But never in rain or snow.

Today plan is to get the new front rotors w/new bearings and new Koni Sport shocks in the front as well as new upper mounting bushings/bearings.

Can't wait to see how that changes the handling.

Also need to make some final adjustments to the all-new rear brakes by tightening the cable as specified in the manual.

And very soon need to put 4 new Riken Raptor's 205/60R15 on it. But can't do that until I soda-blast the wheels and paint them.

GN

peterld wrote:
Sounds like another happy Toofah T man!

'87 944 S, looks & runs like new - sold my sweet 931; '76 914 2.0 mostly restored; 2011 Porsche Cayman S in Meteor Grey, 3.4L, Softronics ECU tune 355+hp , PDK w/Sport Chrono. Got this thing for Porsche's.......
Cedric  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, change the wishbone bushings aswell while your there . Aren't that all season tyres?
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric -

Good idea for sure.....but too cold now and too much other stuff to do, so that will have to wait. Front end is pretty tight as car only has 58k miles on it. Can't wait to see how the Konl's change things.

Funny cause I've been helping a good friend replace all his rear bushings on the '87 924 S that he is restoring - 123k miles.

GN

Cedric wrote:
Sounds good, change the wishbone bushings aswell while your there . Aren't that all season tyres?

'87 944 S, looks & runs like new - sold my sweet 931; '76 914 2.0 mostly restored; 2011 Porsche Cayman S in Meteor Grey, 3.4L, Softronics ECU tune 355+hp , PDK w/Sport Chrono. Got this thing for Porsche's.......
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Present tires are 20 years old & rock hard, tho no dry rot. 195/65R15 B.F. Goodrich T/A's, all season.

Cedric wrote:
Sounds good, change the wishbone bushings as well while your there . Aren't that all season tyres?

Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going with 205/60R15 Riken Raptors.

Have the Raptors on my 914 and love them - great all-around tire.

Highly-rated but cheap - Riken owned by Michelin........

GN
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Koni Sport Shocks - IN! Reply with quote

This past weekend we got the new Koni Sport Shocks in - what an easy job once you know how to do it. Also new support bushings w/bearings on top, new protective cup & stop rubber.

Also got bearings out of front rotors only to find all auto supply houses have the wrong bearings for the car. And all the new ones made in China.The originals are the best - Timkins made in USA and they were in great shape, so I just cleaned and repacked them, put them in new rotors/hubs. Nice to have a 20 ton press. Right one on, left to go.

A few warm days coming and hope to hit the road with the new Koni's, bushings and rotors before next weekend.

Will report back when done. Hope to stay in the turns with Rick in his 944 with the new front suspension. But it might take new tires as well to do that.

GN
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting AS on a car like this is beyond my understanding, but everyone uses the cars differently and prioritise differently.

Regarding the bearings. On the n/a i once had i murdered a set of brand new no name bearings on a single day at the track. Complained and got proper SKF bearings instead, they lasted several seasons of track driving, and are still working in that car today. All bearings aren't the same..

No konis in the rear? They are even easier to change, it takes minutes
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money my good friend Cedric! Money! Out of funds for the 931 project. Most of my net worth is in real estate, and I haven't figured out how to eat dirt yet.....

Koni's will go on rear as soon as I can afford them, and yes, having a lift makes changing both a 20 - 30 min. job! Can't wait!

Same on the tires. Riken's are cheap. And while I do not drive the car in rain or snow, I do drive it all year round......and I don't race like you do - tho I would love to.......

Would love it if you could find me a decent performance tire for $90........

GN

Cedric wrote:
Putting AS on a car like this is beyond my understanding, but everyone uses the cars differently and prioritise differently.

Regarding the bearings. On the n/a i once had i murdered a set of brand new no name bearings on a single day at the track. Complained and got proper SKF bearings instead, they lasted several seasons of track driving, and are still working in that car today. All bearings aren't the same..

No konis in the rear? They are even easier to change, it takes minutes

DD_project  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on getting her roadworthy! I'm hoping it takes less than 18 months to get mine driveable.
2017 Jaguar F Type R

Previous cars:
2005 Porsche 911/997
2003 Nissan 350Z
1976 Datsun 260Z
1990 Nissan 300ZX NA
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never dreamed that my 931 would be running so well that 3 months after I get it that it would be my daily driver!

Could not be running better, and a great drive. Handling not quite as sweet as my 914, and slow-speed steering not as easy, but a great driving/riding car.

Pep of turbo is great and puts the 914 to shame even tho it too is a 2L engine.

As my odometer is still broken (soon - very soon), I have to use my phone to track my miles, and today for first time tracked about 115 miles - getting about 17 1/2 mpg, city/hwy, even trying to stay out of turbo. Wondering if that is normal......

Overall, could not be more pleased with the car.....

GN
morghen  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never driven a 914, i would like to but none close to me. But i suspect they are a mix between my Cayman and my 924.
The 924 really suffers from the need of a faster easier steering...if it had that..would be fantastic. But you can make up that handicap by having proper springs and sway bars on it...it transforms the car like you would not believe it.
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree on the steering. My 931 has 23mm F/17mm R sway bars, and still doesn't corner anywhere near as flat as the 914 which has no sway bars! And the 914 steering - with no engine in front and a total weight of 2,000 lbs., is extremely light - it has spoiled me.

924 in a parking lot is a BEAR!

Oh - I don't know what "proper" springs are, but have new Koni Sport shocks in front with all new upper bushings/bearings. Still tough to steer slow.

GN

morghen wrote:
Never driven a 914, i would like to but none close to me. But i suspect they are a mix between my Cayman and my 924.
The 924 really suffers from the need of a faster easier steering...if it had that..would be fantastic. But you can make up that handicap by having proper springs and sway bars on it...it transforms the car like you would not believe it.

Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see my recent post on my steering issue and new tires here:

https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?p=409539#409539

Nothing but good news!

Tires had to wait because of funds needed for other more critical issues.

GN
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday's PCA First Settlers Region Spring FUN RUN - 3 hours in the twisties just south of the James River near Windsor, VA......

Hard to believe that just 5 months ago this car wasn't running and now it's performing like new in twisties for 3 solid hours along with 3 hours of interstate to get too and from the location.

WHAT A GREAT CAR! New tires, precision balance, alignment, new tie-rod ends, Koni Sport Shocks in front, and car is running and handling like new.

Also had all dents removed from car last month - car looking great too!

Could not be happier with my sweet 931.....

GN
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morghen -

New tires radically changed my steering.

What springs & sway-bars specifically are you suggesting?

My F/R anti-sway bars are 23mm/17mm.

Steering now is quick and light at anything above 5mph.

GN

morghen wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: