Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

First time buyer advice... and life advice
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gml  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: First time buyer advice... and life advice Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Happy to be here. I apologize because I'm sure this kind of post has been made before, but I am in dire need of some advice from fellow humans.

I am going to check out a 1976 924 this weekend.

I'm absolutely infatuated with it from the pictures but I've never owned a classic car and I only know how to do basic car maintenance. But: I've been doing nothing but research the past few days so I hope that shows I'm eager to learn.

The car has no title. But, it runs, drives, and shifts great (according to listing). Minimal rust from the photos. So what are some big things I should look out for? I have found lots of buyers guides but would love to hear other people's thoughts, particularly now in 2021. In particular given my low skill, what are some potential dealbreakers to watch out for?

Stepping back a bit, would you all recommend an early 924 for a first foray into classic Porsche? As I understand the later models and the 944s have better parts availability. Is it impractical to start off with an early 924?

Finally — should I be doing this at all? Would love a reality check as I don't have any classic car owners in my friends or family to confide in. What are some of your biggest headaches, and what keeps you going with classic car ownership? What thing/feeling makes it all possible, or worth it to you?

Here to learn. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
anthonimartini  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to learn how to work on and drive old cars this is the best way to do it. ive owned tons of different old cars and these are by far my favorite. pretty cheap for parts, simple to work on and they actually drive really well! as far as problems to look out for. check the battery tray for rust or poorly repaired rust. they rust bad there and any pin holes will mean a wet floor. the 76 has points and condensor which is actually my preferance. learn how to adjust the points, set your timing and lube the distributor cam lobes with the proper bosch point grease. it will never leave you stranded!
if the car starts drives, shifts and all that then you have a great start. if you can i would pop the valve cover off and inspect the cam and lifters. they almost always have at least one lobe starting to die if not already dead. lifters are really expensive. also check that the rear hatch glass is not separating at the upper corners. it is common for the sealant to degrade and the glass just starts coming off the frame in those areas. not a easy fix.

most parts are extremely easy to get for these cars with some exceptions, pistons are impossible to get oversized. lifters are about 110 bucks each. rod bolts are gone. early fuel sending units are gone.

oh one more thing, the heat in these cars sucks. nothing can be done about it other than installing a webasto heater in the spare tire well.
79 MochaSchwartz work in progress
Instagram @anthoni.jpeg
formerly known as turbellion, lost password.
Cdric  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

76 cars are very special, my friend has one, and if if you look closely almost every part on the car differs from the later cars, fuel systems, sheet steel, electrics etc including some bigger stuff like a different rear suspension. It could just be good to know.

Buy a running and driving car is the key, and if the interior is.half good it's a big bonus, since nice interior parts are hard to come by.

When i was 18 and was still in school i bought a 924 as my first car, it was great fun and can be run on a very reasonable budget. That included track days aswell
gml  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the great advice! I'll make sure to check the battery tray and see if I can check the cam and lifters. Will check the rear hatch for sure. Unfortunately the interior looks mediocre, seats have some rips, and the center console ashtray is broken off. I'm sure the dash is cracked. So that will be a project but I can take my time on that stuff, and it will be a point for negotiation.

I get the feeling that the mentality is that there's no dealbreakers! Especially if it runs and drives.
gml  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys see any big red flags from these pictures?

Engine

Wiring looks a little iffy?
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the process to obtain a title so that you can register it as yours. Otherwise it's a track car or parts. Everything else is fixable.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
gml  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Ontario Canada and haven't found any clear cut guidelines for getting a safety inspection on a car with no title. I have read it is quite straightforward to get title (need an affidavit, get it notarized) but the safety inspection I'm a bit unclear on. Thinking I'll give a local Porsche mechanic a phone call.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, somebody put a diesel delivery van motor in there.

Red flag!
  • Shaggy (1980 931) - SOLD (unlucky, but tried hard )
gml  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta, are you serious? New to this community and to Porsche ownership so I can't tell if that's a joke. Excuse my naïvete.

I thought the valve cover was appropriate for a 1976 924.

Whether you're joking or not I will ask seller what he usually puts in the gas tank
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
Ugh, somebody put a diesel delivery van motor in there.

Red flag!

Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gml wrote:
Rasta, are you serious? New to this community and to Porsche ownership so I can't tell if that's a joke. Excuse my naïvete.

I thought the valve cover was appropriate for a 1976 924.

Whether you're joking or not I will ask seller what he usually puts in the gas tank

Porsche put the diesel van engine in there, and made it run on gasoline..
That’s the joke..

I see some tape on the intake boot to the air meter, and all of those small vacuum lines need to be replaced..

Looks pretty solid.. Even has the timing belt cover in it..

How does the oil and coolant look? How does it look under the oil cap?
How does pushing the clutch feel? Brakes work? Tires?

I suppose it depends on what they are asking for the car..
gml  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the 924 diehards still give it a hard time I see!

Thanks for the input, I will check out the oil, coolant, and tires, and definitely see how the clutch and brakes feel.

Asking is $7500 CAD. It seems rather steep to me and I hear the market has just been a little crazy lately (lot of demand for COVID projects). What's the 924forum appraisal at?
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it, but I’d think you could find one in VERY GOOD “driver” condition, with recent use and maintenance, and a clean title ready to go, for that kind of price..
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out these recent sales, and eBay prices are high..
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=porsche+924&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

Also remember, other than Turbos, the newer ones are priced higher..

Turbos are a bit harder to price because so few are in decent condition, and they are so rare..
gml  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the early 924 listings on BaT (e.g. this one) suggest a much lower value. I already figured that $7500 was too high but I will see how receptive the seller is to a low ball offer.

On a different subject should I set my eyes on a newer one? I really like the old school vibe of the 1976 924 (particularly the look of the steering wheel and its light weight) but the mechanics around me tell me the early ones are bit of a wildcard for parts and reliability.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: