Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

First time buyer advice... and life advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I really hate to tell you not to buy the car, because I really think we can use all the enthusiasts we can get around here, but that’s like a $1000-$1500 usd car to me..

I'm with Eddie on this. Issues with the title, buggered up wiring and hoses... wait.
You have the financial plan set up but this is the wrong car on which to apply it.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:
I think close to 300 crank HP is relatively easy on a 2.0 Turbo on its original CIS.

Definitely explains why there are countless 300 HP 931s running around out there. The relative ease!
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... I've got three 931's with 0 HP. What am I doing wrong? Oh, I know. I'm not spending any money on them while they grow in value
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
gml  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all your feedback. My overall sense is that this car is basically worth under $2K based on having low rust, and the fact that it runs and drives is essentially luck — maybe a couple of things were fixed to make it run, but there are many other problems that need to be addressed quickly.

I am taking the advice of holding out for a better car seriously, but another factor is that personally, this is probably the best time in my life to dive into this hobby, and if I don't act soon then I won't have the time to research and obsess like I am doing now... Yes, this is a bit melodramatic but its the reason I keep pressing the subject.

Let's say in theory I could convince the seller its only worth $2K CAD, is it worth it? My thinking is that since it already runs, it will be a big project, but achievable it seems. Or... is there too much work to do for someone with currently low skill?
D Hook  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The time to do the research is now, before you make an offer. That way, when he rejects the low offer, you'll have a back up plan to look at another car and can easily walk away from this one.

Under 2k is much more sane, as long as you're willing to learn body work, electrical work and mechanical work and aren't afraid to spend money. As they say, there's no such thing as a cheap Porsche.

Good luck.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gml wrote:
Thanks again for all your feedback. My overall sense is that this car is basically worth under $2K based on having low rust, and the fact that it runs and drives is essentially luck — maybe a couple of things were fixed to make it run, but there are many other problems that need to be addressed quickly.

I am taking the advice of holding out for a better car seriously, but another factor is that personally, this is probably the best time in my life to dive into this hobby, and if I don't act soon then I won't have the time to research and obsess like I am doing now... Yes, this is a bit melodramatic but its the reason I keep pressing the subject.

Let's say in theory I could convince the seller its only worth $2K CAD, is it worth it? My thinking is that since it already runs, it will be a big project, but achievable it seems. Or... is there too much work to do for someone with currently low skill?

Do what your think is right..
Maybe prices are a bit high right now because of corona..

Did you ever thoroughly check for rust under the battery? Even some of the cleanest cars rust out there...
Floorboards wet at all?

How bad is this “rust” you talk about? Any actual holes?
gml  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313, I haven't seen the car in person yet. In the listing seller wrote "minimal rust", we will see if that's true. Seller posted only a couple of images showing the body but it looks quite clean and rust free overall.

I am seeing the car tomorrow. I will be sure to check for a rusty battery tray, as well as the floorboards, and as much of the car I can lay eyes on.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:

New guy..
I really hate to tell you not to buy the car, because I really think we can use all the enthusiasts we can get around here, but that’s like a $1000-$1500 usd car to me..

We have been talking about prices goin up the entire time I’ve been here.. Not much has changed..

Almost all of us are pretty friendly around here, and a few of us get pretty wild with modifications..
We have a guy here machining his own turbocharger and aluminum parts, I’m the mad scientist type, others are restoring/upgrading very nice clean and/or original examples, Rasta just put a 951 engine in his 924 after having bad luck with a 2.0 turbo, but he tried really hard..

Nail meet head. Well put Eddie.

RIP

I love both of my 924s but as others have said I wouldn't spend that much on one in that shape.. That's Boxster money, if you really want to get into a cheap Porsche.. I've seen a couple 951s for less recently as well.

Specific to this car, meh. You can find better.

As regards the "life" part, again others have said there's such a range of preference, but here we all are on this car forum. A 924 (non-turbo) would be a great first enthusiast car. All of its systems are basic by modern standards and easy enough to learn to maintain. I think it's flown under the radar forever as "not a real Porsche" by the brand snobs, but it's got it every bit where it counts, and as a car developed in the 70s honestly I could care less about how it performs (power) as much as how it FEELS (connected to the road), and there's no car that feels as good, to me. On this forum too, you'll never lack for inspiration..
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I didn't feel I had bad luck with my 931. On the contrary, it was an awesome build (aside from a cam failure) that drove great. It went from Oregon to Laguna Seca multiple times, as well as San Diego and Joshua Tree without missing a beat. I drove the wheels off it, and it embarrassed "better" cars on the race track and on the road. It was a rock solid car that was fast, fun, and reliable. As an added bonus, it ended up selling for ten grand. Not bad for a modified and far from perfect 924.

My only point is that decent 2.5 cars are within "new guy's" financial reach and should be considered. They are simply much better cars, IMO.

Like I said, take it from someone with actual experience with both platforms...my Turbo 2.5 beats my beloved Shaggy in every important category (except that badass paint job and pasha seats...oh well, the white car has power sport seats...could be worse).

gml  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the car today. Unfortunately did not get to test drive it but got a pretty good look at the engine, left side, and interior. Right side was mostly blocked by a snow bank. Gonna do a much better inspection next time when I can test it out.

Just so the 924board can rest at ease, my maximum is $3000, but I'm going to see what happens by starting at $2k. After this post I'm curious to get all your thoughts after this post, maybe its not even worth that. Didn't even get to talk to the seller himself today (just the dad...) so I don't know how that's going to play out, but worth a shot I hope.

As far as rust goes, the battery tray is rusted to hell but no holes. Fair bit of corrosion on various parts of the engine. Lots of little rust spots at various places on the body, repainted front left panel, some cracks here and there.

Interior wiring is a disaster, apparently previous owner did some really sketchy stereo wiring and the father just disconnected it for safety reasons. It will need a new center console as the ashtray is broken off as is the plastic covering the passenger side of the center console. Everything above the driver and passenger's feet is gone. But... only a single crack on the dash, the doors look great, rear seats are mint. Front seats have a couple of very obvious medium sized rips.

There's a couple of weird things going on in the engine (picture attached) like a golf tee plugging into one end of a cable, a cut hose, but the rubber lines felt pretty supple and intact.

jacobroufa, despite agreeing that I should not buy this car you have also convinced me that I should pursue this car! Lots of people by now have thoroughly convinced me this car is way overpriced, so now my only question is, how much is it actually worth? Once I finally get to talk to the seller my plan is to convince him of its true value and pay a lot closer to that. I have no interest in modern Porsches, so a Boxster is out of the question, I'd rather just save that money.

Rasta, I'm impressed with your persistence for 931 advocacy. When this deal inevitably falls through I will of course keep an eye out for any 931s that are within reach.

The engine, in higher res
Cedric  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How bad was the wiring under the dash? After my first 924 owned by enthusiastic youth i that installed stereo and alarm etc i would never by a car with that state of wiring again. A source of eternal hate 😂
D Hook  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you take pictures of the rest of the car or just the engine bay?
gml  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't sure how to post a bunch of photos at once but here is a gallery of photos I took. These are essentially the majority of the imperfections, wiring mess, and rust that I noticed during this somewhat awkward visit. Hope to see it again soon but with the seller himself.

https://imgur.com/a/xVHyDay
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s nowhere near as bad as I have been imagining, other than the battery box..

I wouldn’t worry about the rust on such things as the brake booster and rear suspension components.. No big deal..

But.. That battery box..
You should plan on a major surgery/project there..
I almost guarantee it’ll leak water onto the passenger floorboard...
Or you could just clean it up the best you can and por15 it, and keep it out of the rain..

Those vacuum lines are 100% toast.. Don’t be fooled, they ALL need to be replaced.. Every one of those cloth braided hoses are toast.. (other than the injector lines)
No big deal though.. Forget all the plastic connections between them, replace it all with new rubber/silicone or whatever, replace any/all plastic Tees in them..
Pretty cheap to do..

The one with the plug, idk where it goes but it can be figured out pretty easily..

Wiring looks like mostly radio related stuff..

Overall looks better than I expected..
Other than that battery box..

LOVE the metal badges on the back, rather than the stickers on later models..
Too bad it doesn’t have chrome trim..
gml  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughts Eddie!

Totally agree, I love the 924 metal badge and I wish it had the chrome trim. Are these factory you think or was the chrome trim removed and/or the badge installed?

What do you think is a fair appraisal given what you can see in these pics?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: