Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Where is everyone getting Pistons from for their 931's
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest issue when looking for alternative pistons for these cars is the wrist pin diameter and compression height.

There are a ton of 86.5 to 88mm pistons out there especially from modern cars but they have really low compression heights and look more like F1 pancake pistons compared to our soup cans. This is also why Dan's looked cool. He either stroked or long rodded his creations (or both with his DProd). This lowered his compression height and therefore overall piston height.

Dan looked and researched like crazy and I have been doing it too as of late since I need a custom config. Our wrist pin size is rare as well as the Compression Height (Center of wrist pin to top of piston). This is why going with a longer manley rod (or other brand of which there are tons as well) is so enticing. Yes, you are forced to grind down the crank rod journals (also allows you to stroke if you want) but you get to use a smaller, more available wrist pin size and other pistons do become available as a choice because the compression height is smaller/shorter. They are not perfect but they become a option.

CarreraRSR those pistons are interesting because the Wrist Pin is smaller at .866" (22mm) vs stock .944" (roughly 24mm). You would need to bush the rod end with Alu-Bronze or similar which is totally doable. Saves some weight in the end

Gegge might chime in, I hope, since I know he has researched this topic to death as well over the years. He always has some interesting take of things
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
lildude4life  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my JE's via topend performance in CA. Went with 22mm wrist pin's and new pauter rods so I didn't have to deal with the odd wrist pin size. Also could then use standard ARP rod bolts as I know those are hard to find as well.

Only thing I wished I did first was have my machinist verify everything as I think I ended up with a bit more CR than I wanted as the deck height seemed off for some reason once everything was put together.
safe  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrist pin size isn't a big issue, you can have the rods rebushed to 22mm.
Compression height is a bigger thing. But there was BMW rods that was a bit longer, it "only" needed some sort of spacers to center them.
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

safe wrote:
..... But there was BMW rods that was a bit longer, it "only" needed some sort of spacers to center them.

That's right. I remember that being mentioned before
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
hayeslewis  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm having a hard time getting pistons made due to all the delays so I'm looking at off the shelf options. I have some light weight rods that are actually bushed for 22mm pins, so the VW pistons are a option-but that will make for a perfectly cylindrical combustion chamber with an NA head. That cant' be good-or can it? Some other crazy ass ideas I have include pistons from the 2.2L K car and from the same folks in Detroit-yeah you're not going to believe this. Pistons for a slant-6

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/uem-skb268-1-0mm/make/chrysler

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-244np30/make/dodge

Of course these are more starting points, the slant 6 piston is a flat top that would make for a 30:1 CR! But I've seen dished pistons for this engine...
2007 Armada
2013 Hyundai Elantra
1972 MG Midget Vintage project
Unstable electrified three wheeled Bicycle truck
anthonimartini  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hayeslewis, there is a shop here in portland oregon called Bearing services that i have had custom pistons made before. they get them made from a company called traum. it was about 1500 bucks for a old bmw E9 straight 6 so id imagine it would be at least a bit less for our 4 cylinders. he would probably want your block to he could bore it correctly though. if you try calling them tell them anthoni from avant garde collection referred you.
83 944
87 924S
Instagram @anthoni.jpeg
formerly known as turbellion, lost password.
n_l  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifty50Plus wrote:
I didn't shop for stock pistons since my application was SCCA's IT-B class. We are allowed one half point increase in compression over stock. I chose to have that encompassed in the piston top rather than milling the block (head is flat on the NA). The fact that they are forged, lighter and all weigh exactly the same out of the box. All bonuses in my opinion.

Don't mean to thread-jack, but I always thought replacing pistons was a no-no in IT. The rules that say "Lightening of parts beyond the minimum material removal necessary to balance is prohibited," and the catch-all "All engine components not otherwise listed in these rules shall meet factory specifications for stock parts" apply across the board. The bit about no more than a half-point of compression bump is mentioned only when talking about cylinder head thickness. Since there is no provision in the rules for pistons with alternate dimensions or weight (other than diameter, in the case of an overbore, but even then, the piston cannot weigh less than stock, and the pistons need to have "the same dome/dish/valve relief configuration as stock"), I would always follow the IIDSYCYC (if it doesn't say you can, you can't) adage. Granted, I'm not sure that a 924 will be domiating enough races for anybody to get suspicious-enough to post a tear-down bond sufficient to find illegal pistons, but I've seen people file papers for all sorts of reasons after a race...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: