Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Crankcase vent and oil separator

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattaebersold  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Crankcase vent and oil separator Reply with quote

Some questions regarding the crankcase ventilation on the 931... Digging into this it sounds like there's a restrictor on the turbo ventilation? I can't tell if it's related to this vent valve -> hose -> purolator, or if that's related to the large oil hose that goes to the bottom of the pan beneath the turbo.

See these photos: https://imgur.com/a/oU8K89k

1. that braided hose, it's hard as a rock, and I can't which one specifically this is to get a new one. Can I just get any rubber braided hose? Or is there a part # or place to get a new one?

2. The purolator, it seems to just be a plasic container (breathes freely when blowing into it). Is there any concern for the quality of this part? And if so, is a new one needed?

3. The valve that connects to the block, it seems to be pressed in there good, and I don't know if the one that's in there now is in good shape. Is it a delicate part? Would something like this be good to get whilst things are torn down? Like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-924-turbo-931-crankcase-breather-part-931-107-063-01-/283729081339

4. Looking up parts for this section of the car, I ran across this on a few sites (sunset, pelican) Unsure of what it actually is: https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/93110706301.htm?pn=931-107-063-01-OEM
langmd  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any 7/8" or 22mm I.D. oil resistant hose will work for that line
If Purolator is still sealed up without any cracks should b fine.
That dome part that goes into block if not damaged should b fine as well the problem usually is the screen in said part becomes clogged up restricting air flow, shine a light in hole at hose connection and see if screen is visible or looks all plugged up.
Mreed301  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my crankcase ventilation hose with a 7/8 I.D. aircraft hose. All certified aircraft parts are specced out and built to last. This hose is resistant to oil and fuel. It is also firm but flexible. I purchased my hose from Aircraft Supply & Repair Inc. https:aircraft supply.com Part # Mil-DTL-6000D-7/8. You can google the detailed military specs on this hose. Please don't confuse this with MIL-6000-D hose which Aircraft Spruce and other aircraft suppliers sell. These are not fuel tolerant. I paid around $9 per foot.
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a couple of the block vents from Porsche a year or so ago, apparently they made some new ones for a NA quite inexpensive. I think the pipe comes out more vertical than on the 931. It does not have the screen, just a baffle in it. I had one get plugged and cleaned it out with by back flushing with some diesel and a little low pressure compressed air thru it during an oil change. They are very difficult to remove fromthe block undamaged.
Poco a Poco, #033 '78 Vintage racer, SCCA Dp-81
'77 924
cricketdesigns.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: