Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

my 924S

View previous topic :: View next topic  
924mang  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 87 924S, just thought id show you guys for shits and giggles.

http://www.cheemo.8m.com

thats my friends BMW next to it..
ToddG5150  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it silver or white? I can't tell.

Where did you get the steering wheel from? Was it a clean fit?
924mang  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a silver/gold, the stock porsche color that it came with.

The steering wheel, I believe is off of a 80s 911? from comparing it to other steering wheels on porsches. I could be wrong. It was on there when I bought the car in august. Its on there pretty solid, so Im assuming it went on good. If I find out I'll let you know.
D Hook  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can be found on ebay from time to time. They also came on 944's, maybe '86 on up? I changed out my three spoke for one like that and makes a big difference getting in and out.
Paul  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that's the stock 924S wheel, my 88 has the same one.
Porschephile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the three spoke, and I don't know why anyone would change it if it aint broken..,

wawaloon  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly what my 924S looks like, save for the steering wheel. Same colors and all. The stock wheel is a three spoke, by the way. I kind of like the stock one.
D Hook  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is that the 944 wheel is smaller diameter and sits closer to the driver, which gives you two advantages. Much easier to get in and out of the car and if, God forbid, you're ever in a front end collision, less travel distance between your vital organs and the steering wheel, if you're a nitwit and not wearing your seat belt. I don't know if the wheel Paul has is the same diameter as the 944 wheel. I'm under the impression two different diameters exist in that style wheel but could be wrong. Anyone know if the steering column is the same as the 944 or is they stayed w/the original 924 column?
Just my .02.

(Paul: Gettin' cold up there yet? Wet, rainy and chilly here already.)

[ This Message was edited by: D Hook on 2002-09-27 22:15 ]
ToddG5150  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend has the same wheel on his 944S2. I like the feel of it a lot better than the 3 spoke. Which I think is flimsy and too thin. A Momo would be nice.
MAS  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a three-spoke too. I dunno, maybe it's just my wheel, but it's certainly no larger in diameter than the 4 spoke... in fact it looks slightly smaller. Yeah, I'm sure it is smaller.

Michael Cotton's Porsche 924/944 book, says that three spoke was a more expensive option... and the 4 spoke the cheaper variation. (But then again, there may have been two three spoke wheels)

-MAS
MAS  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd...

My (stock) three-spoke is far from thin, it has quite a fat feel to it.

-MAS
D Hook  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said Todd, there may have been two different diameters of the 4 spoke produced. I laid the three spoke on top of the four spoke and the three spoke was definetly larger in diameter. You may have been comparing to the larger four spoke perhaps?

Also, the three spoke I took off was just as thick as the four spoke, if not more so, and had a consistent thickness all the way around the wheel. The four spoke I have feels a little thinner and the feel changes in your hands as you turn the wheel.

Good luck!

[ This Message was edited by: D Hook on 2002-09-28 22:47 ]
Paul  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-27 22:13, D Hook wrote:
My experience is that the 944 wheel is smaller diameter and sits closer to the driver, which gives you two advantages. Much easier to get in and out of the car and if, God forbid, you're ever in a front end collision, less travel distance between your vital organs and the steering wheel, if you're a nitwit and not wearing your seat belt. I don't know if the wheel Paul has is the same diameter as the 944 wheel. I'm under the impression two different diameters exist in that style wheel but could be wrong. Anyone know if the steering column is the same as the 944 or is they stayed w/the original 924 column?
Just my .02.

(Paul: Gettin' cold up there yet? Wet, rainy and chilly here already.)

[ This Message was edited by: D Hook on 2002-09-27 22:15 ]

Still pretty nice up here...

My 924S wheel fits the 944 that's still on stands in my shop. I believe the smaller diameter wheels were used on cars with power steering.
mothman  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got the optional small 4spoke on my 83 944. Its a good 1 or 2 inches less in diameter than the stock 3 spoke that came on my 924S. The small 4 spoke wheel was most likely an option for any of these cars. (doesnt go so hot with my manual steering though!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: