Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Wanted: 931 parts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Cars and Parts Wanted/For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgtturbo  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject: Wanted: 931 parts Reply with quote

Looking for a cam for a 1981 931, and maybe 3-4 lifters or can the cam be reground?

Last edited by mrgtturbo on Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same as the 2.0 non-turbo cam and lifters to give you more options to find them..
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 standard turbo cams and also lifters. Cam $175, lifters $20 each. Cams can be reground by Elgin, but then the are undersize and adjusting for valve clearance becomes an issue not easily solved. I have an Elgin regrind on a NA head and when combined with the much thinner and lighter Parner buckets I ended up with a Manly lash cap upside down on the bucket and an old Alfa Romeo shim on top of the valve. There are many shims the fit into the spring retainer on modern cars and motorcycles, I haven't looked at which particular ones would fit into the 924 buckets.
Poco a Poco, #033 '78 Vintage racer, SCCA Dp-81
'77 924
cricketdesigns.com
mrgtturbo  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, had to edit a typo above. The car is an 81í .
Are the cams also the same on the series 2?
Johann  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a ROW 2.0 cam in my Series 2 931 (1983), they are exactly the same. I am not sure about US spec NA cars, I seem to remember them running different cams.
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early '76-'77 NA US cars had a different cam. After '77.5 it is my understanding they are all the same in both NA and turbo.
'77 924
cricketdesigns.com
mrgtturbo  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply.

Mike, are these cams you have original and uncut? I donít think shimming is a variable Iíd wish to deal with, and appreciate that warning. Could you please send photos of them and lifters to mrgtturbo@gmail.com (or post them).

Apparently the issue I face is result of headwork I hired done some time ago, the journals were installed in reverse order: 1 (pulley) 4, 3, 2, rear (dizzy). Iím pretty sure this is what broke the oil pipe to cyl 4. Regardless, this toasted 3 set of lobes.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgtturbo wrote:

Apparently the issue I face is result of headwork I hired done some time ago, the journals were installed in reverse order: 1 (pulley) 4, 3, 2, rear (dizzy). Iím pretty sure this is what broke the oil pipe to cyl 4. Regardless, this toasted 3 set of lobes.

They put the cam bearing caps on wrong?
Head could be toast, Or rebore cam bearing journals, If journals are damaged, and deal with shimming..
mrgtturbo  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea......:/ stud holes are ovaled, scarred, and studs are no longer aligned. The head is likely toast. Thatís what I get for hiring something done and not knowing enough about the process until after the fact.

I have been chasing an unexplainable timing issue and flutter ever since the head work. Naturally assuming it was done correctly being one of the best shops around, I was eventually convinced it was a crank sensor issue and converted to a programmable MSD ignition. The flutter seemed to come and go, showing up more when running warm. Could never figure out why my timing always felt a hair off no matter what I did. Until the head gasket blew and it would no longer start. Then a friend who knows engines came and insisted we tear into it to see if I was facing bigger issues than only the gasket. Thatís when he spotted the reassembly error.

Part of my late reply here has been life keeping me too busy to finish removing the head to bring in to the machine shop/ mechanic who had serviced it. He told me he couldnít of installed them incorrectly because he never removed the cam. I reminded him that I had requested a valve job at that time. He tells me that he didnít do one because it wasnít needed. Then he pulled the slip. Should of seen his face when he read to me that he removed the cam to take pressure off the valves for testing. Well, I guess you did remove it, huh? I told him, I brought to you complete because I didnít feel qualified to disassemble it, only remove and reinstall. Then he put it on me again for not adjusting the valves after installing it. Why would I do that, and why wouldnít you mention this to me then knowing I wanted it ready to install back in the car? So he wants to see it, all the parts. I need to bring them in Monday. Tells me too bad I donít have a photo of it assembled incorrectly so he could see it was his fault. But I question what difference does that even make when you can see the damage from it having been?

Again, this is what I get for hiring someone to do something on my car. The only other time I ever did was for an alignment. After a weekend with my car, that garage gave it back with a blown clutch. All other work done to it in the past 18 years, repairs, restoration, (what-have-you) Iíve done myself, until my buddy came in on this one and found the problem. Yet it now seems almost all the repairs and work Iíve ever done on the car has been chasIng behind either faulty work I paid for, or some dirtbag playing too rough with my car when they were supposed to be fixing something. The head work, an alignment, and only 2 of the oil changes are all Iíve ever trusted in the hands of another, and this is where Iím at. Then people wonder. Thereís a reason I try to do it all myself. Itís not only the matter of affording the job done, but itís also being able to afford the problems they cause -in this case, also figuring it out. Iím really thankful I have a friend who would spot this, Otherwise Iíd likely never had figured it out. Itís infuriating (to be honest).

I should add, I have a spare head, itís a bare head... but with a new cam and lifters I should be ok.
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do on the pictures, These cams are standard size so they should work well. I was saying that you don't really want a reground cam unless you want to get into other issues.
'77 924
cricketdesigns.com
mrgtturbo  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, Iím sorry my reply has taken so long, the list of things that have recently gone sideways.... *sigh... At times life can certainly consume us.

I know at some point you wrote me a very informative and thought out email with photos. Then (on top of all else) my phone fried, the day before starting on a job site hours away (go figure). Anyway, a little pissed off with my provider as it was a new phone, and I got almost no signal from home to boot. I changed to another company, and Iíd imagine you know what a change of numbers does to one when places like Google try to secure accounts with verification codes linked to ones number. Grr.... anyway, Iím now back in everything and should have time to locate your email again this evening (I know itís buried deep). Anyhow, I just wanted to give you a heads up, partly in case being a sent mail it may be easy for you to locate and forward back to me for my ease I finding. If not, no biggie, either way consider it sold.

I have to run, but you can expect to hear from me again by tomorrow at latest. Again, I apologize for my delayed response.

Thanks man.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Cars and Parts Wanted/For Sale All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: