Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

New guy, getting barn find 924 Turbo back up and running
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auto Anatomy  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It ended up being a bad FPR. I replaced it, and the car runs great again.

Now, I'm chasing an oil leak from the front of the engine. Most likely it's the front crank seal.

Next up, suspension then bodywork and paint. Finally interior refresh and it should be done!

Sean
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Sean! I really dig that you recondition things like the fuel sender; it's awesome to see that in depth.

I heard you mention on the last video that you need A/C hoses? I ripped that system out of my '80 931 a couple months ago. I had to cut the hoses going into the cabin unfortunately but everything else is intact... I would be happy to assist you with your parts if I've got it though -- which hoses or parts did you need? You can have it all for the cost of shipping if you like. I'm not planning on reinstalling it in my car.

Noticed also that you have window problems -- take note that the controls for the passenger window are routed through the drivers' side completely... and all the switches must function for it to work. Worth your while to do some tracing and jumper the regulators to find out what's what.. There's a good chance that one or more of your switches are bad, and a possibility based on your assessment of other "fixes" done by POs that some of the wiring is hacky. Again, just removed this from my 931 so let me know if you test one or more switches or some wiring to be bad; I've got both door harnesses and at least one good set of switches between all my spares, as well as one driver and two passenger regulators. Would guess too that it's possible that a regulator motor might be bad simply due to the lack of viscosity in the grease over time. I pulled one out of my Weissach years ago and opened the cover... it was completely hard; chipped away almost..

Keep it up, love to see this content!
Auto Anatomy  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacobroufa wrote:
Good stuff Sean! I really dig that you recondition things like the fuel sender; it's awesome to see that in depth.

Thank you so much! No sense replacing parts that can be cleaned/fixed!

Quote:
I heard you mention on the last video that you need A/C hoses? I ripped that system out of my '80 931 a couple months ago. I had to cut the hoses going into the cabin unfortunately but everything else is intact... I would be happy to assist you with your parts if I've got it though -- which hoses or parts did you need? You can have it all for the cost of shipping if you like. I'm not planning on reinstalling it in my car.

Thanks for the offer! I found a guy locally that had the hose and purchased it from him, but if I need another I'll definitely get in touch with you!

Quote:
Noticed also that you have window problems -- take note that the controls for the passenger window are routed through the drivers' side completely... and all the switches must function for it to work. Worth your while to do some tracing and jumper the regulators to find out what's what.. There's a good chance that one or more of your switches are bad, and a possibility based on your assessment of other "fixes" done by POs that some of the wiring is hacky. Again, just removed this from my 931 so let me know if you test one or more switches or some wiring to be bad; I've got both door harnesses and at least one good set of switches between all my spares, as well as one driver and two passenger regulators. Would guess too that it's possible that a regulator motor might be bad simply due to the lack of viscosity in the grease over time. I pulled one out of my Weissach years ago and opened the cover... it was completely hard; chipped away almost..

Keep it up, love to see this content!

The window problems ended up being more "repaired' wiring from the previous owners. They had wired the radio in with the power window relay, and when the radio quit, so did the windows. Ugh... I undid their work and the windows started working again. They're slow but do work. I need to get in there and grease/clean things really well. Hope that will improve the speed a bit.

Thanks again for the kind words, and I'll do my best to keep documenting the restoration of this car. It's currently under the knife right now getting the front crank seal replaced, as it was profusely leaking oil.

Next up, suspension and then paint/interior!

Sean
20thmaine  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean,

Looking forward to your next video - what's the inside scoop on this oil leak you allude to in your Youtube comments?
1986 930
Auto Anatomy  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it ended up being a front crank seal. You'll have to wait until the next video comes out (next week) to see it fully, but I took the car on a road trip and on the way back it puked out the front seal.

On another note, I'm looking for a few more bits that hopefully y'all can help.

I received the speedo counter from Tom (thanks again!) and just before I could install it the upper speedo cable broke. Does anyone have an upper speedo cable they're willing to part with? I'm also still looking for a good, used, fuel sending unit. I know I could buy a new one for around $100, but if someone had a used one for less that worked, why not...

Thanks again,

Sean
TJC  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure I can help you with both of those bits from my same '81 parts car. Before I commit to the fuel sender though, let me check my '80 to be sure it works. Regarding the sender, what exactly is wrong with yours? I remember having a problem with faulty readings on my '80 635 CSi and I removed it and cleaned the fine wires which run up and down the length of it that the contacts ride on with toothpaste and it worked great after that. I'm not certain the 924 is the same, but if it is that could be a solution.
In any event, I'll try to get to those bits this weekend.
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you pull the sender, I found a O-ring for it at the local hardware to replace the hard , broken original. Get the smallest size(1.5-22mm)as the bigger ones won't compress enough.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
Auto Anatomy  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJC wrote:
I am pretty sure I can help you with both of those bits from my same '81 parts car. Before I commit to the fuel sender though, let me check my '80 to be sure it works. Regarding the sender, what exactly is wrong with yours? I remember having a problem with faulty readings on my '80 635 CSi and I removed it and cleaned the fine wires which run up and down the length of it that the contacts ride on with toothpaste and it worked great after that. I'm not certain the 924 is the same, but if it is that could be a solution.
In any event, I'll try to get to those bits this weekend.

Let me know if you have a good sender. I’m ready to know how much fuel I have and how fast I’m going.

Sean
TJC  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sean, sorry I missed this earlier.
I do have the upper cable if you need it and I just need to pull it out at the firewall as it's already disconnected at both ends.
I haven't checked the fuel sender yet, but I will try to get to it asap.
It's been pretty hot here, 100+, and my desire to work outside where the two cars are has been minimal to say the least, hahaha! May drop down to the upper 90's by the weekend!
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
Auto Anatomy  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJC wrote:
Hey Sean, sorry I missed this earlier.
I do have the upper cable if you need it and I just need to pull it out at the firewall as it's already disconnected at both ends.
I haven't checked the fuel sender yet, but I will try to get to it asap.
It's been pretty hot here, 100+, and my desire to work outside where the two cars are has been minimal to say the least, hahaha! May drop down to the upper 90's by the weekend!

No worries man, I totally get it!

Thanks again,

Sean
Auto Anatomy  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the ol girl on her first road trip, and it did great. Just a short jaunt from Colorado Springs to Pueblo, CO (maybe 50 miles each way) to pick up some parts.

Discovered a massive oil leak at the front crank seal, and ended up changing that out, and then the speedo cable broke!

But I'm still loving this car and will be reaching out for more parts very soon!

Thanks,

Sean

Here's a video if you're interested:

https://youtu.be/XA0ucUinp4c
TJC  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both speedo cables out of the '81 924 Turbo.
Still need to check the fuel sender in my '80 924 Turbo further as it doesn't appear to be working...may just be low on fuel...before committing to sell the '81 sender.
PM or email me if you're still in need.
ttrs1@citlink.com
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
Auto Anatomy  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a little more work on the 924 this week, got the front suspension rebuilt and tried (again, I know) to make the exhaust a little more palatable. It's still louder than I want so maybe 4th time is the charm?

https://youtu.be/e7gjz6vmO-I

Sean
kondzi  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool videos. What bothers me is that all these works on your video seem so light and easy to do and completely not time consuming
'88 Mustang 5.0 LX Convertible (factory specs)
'84 911 Carrera 3.2 RoW (factory specs)
'81 931 RoW (TBD)
'81 Ford Capri 2.8i (factory specs)
'79 Ford Capri 2.9 (heavily modded)
Auto Anatomy  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, compared to my day job it is light and not time consuming. I am an ICU nurse practitioner working with COVID patients, so cars are one of my outlets. With cars I can go to the garage, do something for a couple hours and feel productive...people take a lot longer to fix!

Sean
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: