Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

WWWHHHHHOOOOOOSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emoore924  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: WWWHHHHHOOOOOOSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Reply with quote

Ok, that's what happens when I remove my fuel cap after a stint of hard driving. There is considerable pressure within the tank, so much so that if I don't hold onto the cap tight when I'm removing it, it would blow right out of my hands. This outgassing continues on for about 15 seconds at a decreasing rate (almost sounds like the fuel is boiling in the tank when the pressure is released...). Also, not sure of the relevance of this fact but the last time it did this, the engine died immediately when I removed the cap. I can also hear the fuel tank going ka-thunk! as it pops back into shape once the pressure is relieved. It happens every time if the car is hot when driven hard. So, not an intermitant problem, and it has been doing same more or less for years...

1979 n/a. Runs fine. Fuel pump is starting to make a little noise however, but I'm not sure that has anything to do with this. Might be a simple coincidence.

Ok, so why so much internal pressure within the fuel system and tank? Is this normal or not?

If not, what do I need to do to remedy?
DOCO  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tank vent is plugged most cars vent through the gas cap.not really sure about the porsche though .gures please
/______\
[+]___[+]
\0 924 0/
[__]..[__]
"WEBB STR"
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your tank vent is plugged. If left to go for too long, it could collapse the tank.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds severe.
I'd check the EEC system. It's shown in the Haynes. There's a safety valve that should open at a certain level to relieve pressure from the tank. That flow from the pressure relief should go forward to the charcoal canister or to the engine when it's running and warmed-up and at part throttle. -So there are a few components there to check, but my prime suspect would be the safety valve - it may be stuck shut (, but don't ask me where it is). Another possibility would be the charcoal canister vent being clogged, but then the pressure should still be getting relieved when the EEC control valve opens (when running, warmed and at part throttle).

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, once you identify the problem, if it can't be repaired, I may have spares of the components you need...let me know.
emoore924  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EEC = ??
!tom  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evaporative Emissions Control
Brockoli  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EEC = evaporative emission control

its a system that sends gas tank fumes+crank case fumes to your air box to be burnt in the engine.

Do all 924's have this much pressure in the gas tank. Mine does this too, but at the last couple fills it hasnt. Mine doesnt make the gas tank deform tho.

25% of a '87 944 Chumpcar http://straightpipe.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2454

'79 924 Sebring Edition(Sitting)
emoore924  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EEC, got it.

I think the problem might be that the EEC pressure relief valve only operates when the car is warmed up and at PARTIAL THROTTLE.

I only operate the car at FULL THROTTLE

I'll check it out...
Ozzie  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if its the same for US cars but there is pressure valves next to the filler hose on mine. Have to remove the cover on the RH side for access.
Engineer of Electro/Mechanical Systems Maintenance
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emoore924 wrote:
problem might be that the EEC pressure relief valve only operates when the car is warmed up and at PARTIAL THROTTLE.

I think you may have combined 2 different parts into one. The system includes both an EEC control valve (this one's in the engine compartment), and a safety/pressure relief valve (likely located where Ozzie described) - so 2 different parts..

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
924guy  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try looking at p/n 810201106a "bleeder valve", there is also a "shutoff valve" which looks very similar, in the same assembly. should be located in , or near the fuel delivery pipe housing, attached inline to vent hoses. if this, or its equivelent is blocked or missing, it will cause the problem you describe. looks like an oversized vacuum valve (acorn.)
I can take a picture of a real one if you need, but its in the 84' 944..earlier may or may not be different, and i for some reason i cant snip a pic from adobe pdf's anymore, guess id better install the full version again..
99' VehiCross
Y2K Honda Insight
http://www.cardomain.com/id/924Guy
Performance by Pasha
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

924guy wrote:
try looking at p/n 810201106a "bleeder valve", there is also a "shutoff valve" which looks very similar, in the same assembly. should be located in , or near the fuel delivery pipe housing, attached inline to vent hoses. if this, or its equivelent is blocked or missing, it will cause the problem you describe. looks like an oversized vacuum valve (acorn.)
I can take a picture of a real one if you need, but its in the 84' 944..earlier may or may not be different, and i for some reason i cant snip a pic from adobe pdf's anymore, guess id better install the full version again..

Again, I have extras of those that I salvaged from a couple of cars, so if you need one, let me know.
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I though on the early cars there was a vent built in the the filler neck that runs from the tank to the gas door connected with a rubber boot and clamps off the neck runes a vent line... am i right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gwan2cruz  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: WWWHHHHHOOOOOOSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Reply with quote

My 1978 924 is a n/a engine and I am having the same problem with lots of pressure when I remove the gas cap after driving. I know the bleeder valve is no longer available so can I just remove the valve and put in a direct line to the canister?
Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: