Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Repairing fuse panel - removing copper pins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
winddude  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Repairing fuse panel - removing copper pins Reply with quote

I have a number of pins that are broken and give a inconsistent connection in my relay/fuse panel. I've read in a number of places it can be repaired, but no about disassembly, I removed the first layer, but am stuck on the second.

How do you remove the copper pins that hold the layers together? I've tried a punch without much success.

host images
curtisr  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I'm on the right track here. Scroll down to #10 post at http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/754814-how-do-you-remove-wire-harness-fuse-box.html

If not, my apologies in advance.
winddude  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtisr wrote:
I hope I'm on the right track here. Scroll down to #10 post at http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/754814-how-do-you-remove-wire-harness-fuse-box.html

If not, my apologies in advance.

Thanks for trying, but that's talking about removing plugs from a later model 944.

I need to actually separate the layers of the fuse panel. A few of the pins are broken and need to be soldered to stop my break lights and one headlight from sporadically working. The copper plug shown in the photo above seems to be what's holding it together, I could drill them out, but not sure what to replace them with, it appears they connect a few circuits.
curtisr  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may seem like overkill but, have you considered a total rebuild? This would not only refresh everything but could let you ditch the ceramic fuses in favour of ATOs.

You can find replacement fuse boxes that you simply (?) shift the relays and wires over to.

This is available on eBay. Search 'Car Truck 18 Way Fuse Holder 10 Relay Box Circuit Protector Distribution Block' No affiliation.
winddude  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtisr wrote:
This may seem like overkill but, have you considered a total rebuild? This would not only refresh everything but could let you ditch the ceramic fuses in favour of ATOs.

You can find replacement fuse boxes that you simply (?) shift the relays and wires over to.

This is available on eBay. Search 'Car Truck 18 Way Fuse Holder 10 Relay Box Circuit Protector Distribution Block' No affiliation.

Yes, I've thought about doing something custom, but the example you showed a number of the relay don't fit that layout, as well the fuse panel, actually has a sort of circuit board in it (pictured below, it's 6 layers of circuits), with a number of connections between multiple terminals. If I was converting to EFI, I likely would, along with a number of other things, rewire engine bay, relocate battery, etc.

slowcarfast  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, I for one gave up when I got to that big copper rivet. The only pins that were broken on mine were for the left headlight, so I ended up solving the problem by rewiring the headlights with relays, using the intact wiring for the right side for the switching current. If you can't work around the broken pins by rewiring circuits, then your best bet may be to start buying electrical panels off Ebay. With luck you'll be able to find a good one. I did some internet searching for someone who could rebuild these, but didn't find anything. It still seems reasonably likely to me that there is someone out there, so you might also start posting inquiries on the forums specifically for that. Good luck!
1981 924 Weissach Ed #187
1971 MG Midget
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: