Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Forged conrods manufacturing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
safe  

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need 24mm pin rods. I've contacted Auto Verdi, but they were busy until after the summer, which is okey for me.
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
Juho  

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euro924S2 wrote:
Hi. Very interested depending on cost, spec and delay in them being available?

My 16v cylinder head is in the machine shop now. In 2 weeks I hope to have it back to CC the head chamber and then I’ll be giving them the block to machine for the 87mm forged flat tops I’m using.

So can’t wait too long for them but keen to buy something and these would save me sourcing bushes for the stock rods!

1-2 months they are ready
Euro924S2  

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let me know when they are ready! Might not make it into this engine but still potentially interested for the next build!
Juho  

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did u get those forged flat tops from?
gegge  

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juho wrote:
Where did u get those forged flat tops from?

https://vwcustomspeed.com/produkt/Cylsats-87x69-smidd-mahle

924 turbo -81 Carrera GT RESTOMOD
924 turbo -80 Dolomite De Luxe
924 -85 DP kit, BBS RS, M030 and tuned engine
924s -86 Black on black turbo with Fuchs
Euro924S2  

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Carl for posting a link. If you google there are several suppliers but stock is sometimes an issue. Search 87mm type 1 vw forged pistons. There is chat on the internet they are not ‘proper forged’ but this is suggested by a competing company ‘AA’ who make a hyperelutic (spelling) piston which is supposedly between cast and forged for strength.

Personally though, my 924 has been supercharged at over 18psi for more than 9 or 10 years now with the stock 931 cast pistons and despite some knock whilst tuning I’ve not had a piston failure or ring break. I think EFI and modern control systems add a good safety net over the CIS system which gives little warning of problems causing a lean cylinder until something fails.

https://www.justkampers.com/311-198-069-87f-mahle-set-of-forged-barrels-and-pistons-87mm-1641cc-vw-type-1-1500-1600cc-engines.html?fee=1&fep=26452&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLAs&gclid=CjwKCAjw1uiEBhBzEiwAO9B_HWCQRcrSnBc-IaCKdoOegUpOnBmvNAYjY3wulRuS_GF0BcnBk_S4YxoCAsoQAvD_BwE
Coco_Lev  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Today, MESPIECESAUTO added the rods you asked them for the 924.
https://www.mespiecesauto.com/en/produit/bielle-forgee-porsche-924/
Besides them, the rods has been designed to use the 200-6209 ARP rod screws you will need to buy apart.
English translation incoming.

They also made exhaust valves for 931 models, available on the website
safe  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coco_Lev wrote:
Hi,

Today, MESPIECESAUTO added the rods you asked them for the 924.
https://www.mespiecesauto.com/en/produit/bielle-forgee-porsche-924/
Besides them, the rods has been designed to use the 200-6209 ARP rod screws you will need to buy apart.
English translation incoming.

They also made exhaust valves for 931 models, available on the website

Do the rod bolts screw in from the top?
No oiling hole for the small end on the top (like the original)?
Porsche 931 -79
Euro924S2  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do other forged rods have the small end oil supply Safe? Seems a shame to lose that if it is the case although I don’t know how many engines have them or the consequences of losing it.

The website doesn’t list a weight for these rods - that would be useful to know.
safe  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euro924S2 wrote:
Do other forged rods have the small end oil supply Safe? Seems a shame to lose that if it is the case although I don’t know how many engines have them or the consequences of losing it.

The website doesn’t list a weight for these rods - that would be useful to know.

The stock rods I have seen has the oiling hole, its the only way the small end gets lubrication. But it depends on design to, some engines has the piston bolt pressed into the rod and the piston have/are the bushing.
The Aliexpress 924 rods I have (not in an engine yet) looks like these rods. They have the oiling hole(s) on the under side of the small end, exactly like in a flat engine. I'm not sure they will get proper lubrication this way. Maybe you can drill a hole there the stock location, but drilling a hole in the thinnest most stressed area seams sketchy without some form of calculation...
These rods also seam to have the rod bolts screw in from the small end side, just like my ali-rods.
The problem is that they become harder to torque without some special tool, but way worse the bolts will hit the block at the bottom of the cylinders!
I think the basic design of these rods are made for a boxer engine.
Porsche 931 -79
Euro924S2  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Safe.
Do you have a photo of your AliExpress rods? I looked for the xpeeding ones as they seem to be available for most models but none for our 924 2L.

I agree I don’t like the idea of drilling oil holes.

I’ll dig out my spare stock rods tomorrow and have a look more closely at them.

Ease of torquing the rod bolts is fairly important, however if they hit the block it’s a game over! Surely that’s been verified before selling these newly released ones though?

Cheers,
John
safe  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euro924S2 wrote:
Thanks Safe.
Do you have a photo of your AliExpress rods? I looked for the xpeeding ones as they seem to be available for most models but none for our 924 2L.

I agree I don’t like the idea of drilling oil holes.

I’ll dig out my spare stock rods tomorrow and have a look more closely at them.

Ease of torquing the rod bolts is fairly important, however if they hit the block it’s a game over! Surely that’s been verified before selling these newly released ones though?

Cheers,
John

Can't find any pictures right now, but I'm going too the shop after work and I'll try to remember to take some pictures!
It's probably possible to notch the block enough for them to clear. But combined with the potential oiling issues I chose to not use them. For this engine stock will be fine, planing on keeping the boost at 1 bar or slightly above.
Porsche 931 -79
Euro924S2  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. I’m in 2 minds what to do! Not a part I want to be modifying as the cost of failure is significant both in money and time off the road!

That said, with VW flat top pistons I need for the 16v head, I need either a new rod or a bushing so I thought a rod was a good way to go, but these would need a rod and a bushing.....

I’ve been running up to 22psi boost on my current engine with no issues on stock rods! Granted that boost isn’t being translated into the appropriate Bhp, but the torque figure has been at 240lbft for over 5 years with no issues - stock rods are strong as hell, just a bit heavy!
safe  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

22 psi, I'll go there with this engine then:) ! I'm building a stronger engine with forged pistons and a proper machined block.

I took some pictures and weight (696g ish), not sure if these links work, otherwise I can email them to you.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/X1AESKyxcZGSoubN6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qt1hBgWMC4WbEMJv7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9YvUzG2MGRS2eNmKA
Porsche 931 -79
Euro924S2  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I see what you mean about the underside oiler and bolt access now!

There was discussion on here of another set of rods being commissioned but yet to hear back on the design specifics.

Seems odd to design these with the rods the wrong way around, given they aren’t just an established part (otherwise we could just use those anyway!) If making the tooling from scratch, why not make the installation more straightforward??

Any one know??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: