Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Forged conrods manufacturing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gegge  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forged rods, are they a direct OEM replament for stock pistons with the HUGE (diesel) wrist pin?

The reason for asking is that aftermarket pistons seldom use 24mm and a light strong rod to match a heavy marchmallow piston doesn´t make sense to me.

Would it be possible to make the same rod with different sizes of the small end bushing? Im am looking for 22mm for exemple.

924 turbo -81 Carrera GT RESTOMOD
924 turbo -80 Dolomite De Luxe
924 -85 DP kit, BBS RS, M030 and tuned engine
924s -86 Black on black turbo with Fuchs
Coco_Lev  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

safe wrote:
Coco, valves looks hard to find, for the NA 924 (I need exhaust valves right now).

You don't have connections that can make some nice stainless inlet and exhaust valves, maybe even 1 or 2 mm oversize?
I would by at least 2 sets.

Sorry guys I'm late.
Yes don't worry it's on the track yet.
Coco_Lev  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cédric wrote:
How have you done with the piston cooling oil squirter hole? Are there any sets extra available?

It's drilled on the CNC. With two different tools in order to respect different holes diameters. This is necessary to obtain a low oil emerging section in order to get a powerful oil flow to sufficiently cool the piston.
Yes there are some sets still available

Last edited by Coco_Lev on Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Coco_Lev  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gegge wrote:
The forged rods, are they a direct OEM replament for stock pistons with the HUGE (diesel) wrist pin?

The reason for asking is that aftermarket pistons seldom use 24mm and a light strong rod to match a heavy marchmallow piston doesn´t make sense to me.

Would it be possible to make the same rod with different sizes of the small end bushing? Im am looking for 22mm for exemple.

Only one size will be available as it requires to build another special forging matrix, which is very expensive.
The piston pin diameter is maybe a bit consequent. However you have to know that the piston pin is very long. As a consequence, its bending deformation has to be as fewer as possible because the consequences can be dramatic.
Exemple of a rod foot fatigue failure on a peugeot 505 turbo, due to the high pressure contacts and then the knocks of the piston pin after 100kms:

That's why a big diameter is highly recommended for this part. It will be direct OEM replacement with 24mm piston pin. You have to know that the stiffness depends on the diameter power 4, as the weight only depends on the squared diameter.

What is possible to do, is asking a machinist to reduce the length of your piston pin in order to reduce its deformation and lower the weight of the part. You have to adapt a new fitting in the piston boss. The deformation depends on the cube diameter (without considering the piston boss deformation that is also linked).
However this is a high risqued operation, as this shouldn't be done anyhow, by anyone.

Last edited by Coco_Lev on Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:24 pm; edited 7 times in total
gegge  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I have to withdraw my interest in this then.

Euro924S2  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen this thread! I’d be keen to buy a set for my 16v engine build (shipped to the UK) if they are still going ahead?

Cheers, John.
Coco_Lev  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euro924S2 wrote:
Just seen this thread! I’d be keen to buy a set for my 16v engine build (shipped to the UK) if they are still going ahead?

Cheers, John.

Hi John,

Yes they will come but not now for the moment. It will be in the beginning of 2021.

Kind regards, Corentin
safe  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coco_Lev wrote:
Euro924S2 wrote:

Cheers, John.

Hi John,

Yes they will come but not now for the moment. It will be in the beginning of 2021.

Best regards, Corentin

Thanks for the update!
Euro924S2  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. I’m guessing Covid isn’t helping your time scales! I’m still keen on a set for the time being but intending to be building the engine in the new year (2021) once the prototype engine is running in the next few weeks so the sooner the better please!
Coco_Lev  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts must be ready within few weeks
Euro924S2  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s great news! Keep us updated!
Euro924S2  

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone managed to buy a set of these yet? I checked the website but they're not listed. I've just emailed them and awaiting a reply - thought I'd check here for an update....
Juho  

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im producing 5 sets of forged conrods with 22m pin if youre intrested in them
gegge  

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juho wrote:
im producing 5 sets of forged conrods with 22m pin if youre intrested in them

YES, I am!

Euro924S2  

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Very interested depending on cost, spec and delay in them being available?

My 16v cylinder head is in the machine shop now. In 2 weeks I hope to have it back to CC the head chamber and then I’ll be giving them the block to machine for the 87mm forged flat tops I’m using.

So can’t wait too long for them but keen to buy something and these would save me sourcing bushes for the stock rods!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: