Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Really rich rough idle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainTornSack  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Really rich rough idle Reply with quote

Day 10 of ownership. 1977 924. Wife got it for my birthday. Never owned a german car. Pretty good condition. Had a hot start problem and ran rich on day 1. Water pump went out on day two. Replaced it plus timing belt and the tensioner and the thermostat. Overheating solved. I swear the flywheel is out of alignment. Timing marks are worthless. Haynes says -10 degrees TDC. Actual reinstall seems to be +20 degrees TDC. Yes, I have pictures. In the process, I fixed a major leak in the intake and exhaust. Sounds hot roddish now. Can't be right. Doesn't smoke but exhaust will cook your eyes. Handles the streets fine( took for a test run, about 35 minutes of driving). Pricing CIS test gauges now. Expensive! Feel like I'm chasing a bunch of patches from the previous owners. Really want to cruise but she ain't reliable enough yet. Any suggestions are welcome.!
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You check the cam timing with the notch on the front pulley and the dot on the back of the cam sprocket?

Check the flywheel against the front pulley notch..

What have you been following to set the ignition timing? Did you remove the vac line to the ign distributor?

Rich is a good problem to have because vac leaks would make it lean..
Turn the AFR screw on the air meter to lean it out at idle and see what that does..

Doe it have an O2 sensor? If so you can tune it with that with a dwell meter at idle..

Take the banjo bolt out of the WUR line on the fuel distributor and take it to a parts store..

Find a male and a female to fit that, then make a CIS test gauge..
FD-Gauge-Valve-WUR line
Harm  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Really rich rough idle Reply with quote

CaptainTornSack wrote:
Pricing CIS test gauges now. Expensive! Feel like I'm chasing a bunch of patches from the previous owners. Really want to cruise but she ain't reliable enough yet. Any suggestions are welcome.!

How-To DIY: CIS Test Kit aka Fuel Pressure Tester.

HTH
Good Luck!
Kind Regards,
Harm.
CaptainTornSack  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved. Started checking alignment again. Decided to reset everything to spec. Screw the patchwork crap. Eventually got to the ignition system. Found the plug wires on the distributor to be off 90 degrees clockwise. The rotor off 180 degrees! Discovered this by removing both the number 1 and 3 wires. There was ZERO change to the idle. After correction and a rough tune, she purrs. No more hot rod sound. The idle screw was almost completely out. She started up at 2300. Still working on getting it to spin tires good. Can't get but a chirp right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: