Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

931 (Woody) project
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:13 am    Post subject: 931 (Woody) project Reply with quote

Shoulda started this thread when I bought the car a year and a half ago... maybe would have kept me accountable.

November '18

Sat outside for a couple months.

Got into the garage in January '19, after the Weissach went to the mechanic for fuel system work.

Until this past weekend, all I had done was remove the timing belt cover to start the maintenance work this car needs, and the radiator to replace the one in my Weissach. I was busy all last year with work on other cars among a trip to FL for a couple weeks, and a lot of camping, so unfortunately it got set on the backburner.

The fan switch bung is all boogered up on the na rad, and so I am going to try to gingerly remove it, if I can't I'll probably pick up an aluminum 944 radiator on ebay.

Fast forward to now when I finally have time because all the other cars are (mostly) sorted, and we're all quarantined.

To do in the very near term:

* valve cover gasket (checked valves and cam oiler elbow)
    * timing belt and pulley
    * water pump
    * thermostat
    * vacuum lines
    * busted rubber (so far only the intake -> turbo return line elbow)
    * lower charge tube o-ring
    * fuel distributor bonded mounts
    * radiator

Saturday I got the valve cover gasket done and replaced the thermostat. Removed the timing belt and pulley, and the water pump. Good thing I'm doing this now -- the belt had a ton of teeth missing. Thankfully it was still timed and we're all good!

The lower right (M6x45) bolt on the water pump gave me hell and I had to fight it for a couple hours between Saturday and Sunday to extract safely. Heat, penetrating oil, vice grips and patience... whew.

Got the lower charge tube o-ring replaced as well yesterday. So here it sits until more parts come in.. Thursday-Saturday.

Going to change the oil as well before I drive it, but I'm going to leave the hydraulic fluid for the moment, as I intend to change brake hoses and do the clutch cylinders for good measure within the next month or so.

After running and driving again, I've got suspension (new struts and shocks, bushings and mounts), the aforementioned brakes and clutch hydraulics, and also to replace the rear wheel spacers with a narrower set. Then get new tires, discussed in a previous thread: http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=43977.

I think that's it for this year except to drive it...
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I also have to finish removing the A/C... I don't even have the controls in the car and it was not pressurized. BYE!

Question -- anyone know a good OEM alternative for the bonded rubber mounts with double threaded ends? Those suckers are expensive. I'm glad I only have to replace one at the moment, but it'd be nice to have something other than OEM to turn to for something such as that.
poor-sche  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean these?
https://www.mcmaster.com/vibration-isolators//vibration-damping-sandwich-mounts/metric-general-purpose-vibration-damping-sandwich-mounts-with-studs/
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poor-sche wrote:
Do you mean these?
https://www.mcmaster.com/vibration-isolators//vibration-damping-sandwich-mounts/metric-general-purpose-vibration-damping-sandwich-mounts-with-studs/

Yes! Thank you! I remembered seeing a mcmaster link at some point about these things, but could not turn it up in a search. Much appreciated!!
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp, ECS Tuning despite listing things as in stock does not have some things and is very slow to inform customers... so I placed a couple different orders instead between McMaster and Pelican, and should have all the rest of my parts tomorrow or Saturday. Picking up more vacuum hose, some bolts and "vibration isolators"...

This board has been invaluable between members responding to inquiries about part alternatives and searching for as much. Such a wealth of knowledge here. This has definitely saved me some headaches!
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really glad to see Woody getting the attention (s)he deserves. I almost scrapped this car.
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I thought that car looked familiar!
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, yeah definitely! I am glad to be able to finally get to work on it. Been sitting too long. I know you did a ton of stuff to it, but it'll be good to get through all these maintenance items and really bring it up to snuff. I also like your original plan of doing 250# springs up front and 28mm reindexed torsion bars in the rear; I am not sure at what point I'm going to do that. I need to put in that suspension that came with it still, but do I want to go through the trouble of dropping the rear end too? Probably not before I drive it a bunch first!

I've also been debating doing an EV swap on one of the cars, and one of the 924s surely is a candidate. I have really grown to love these cars. Who knows, maybe a third one will find its way into my pile solely to that end?

Dan, you'll be glad to know Woody's keeping the name though, and his engine... for now.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I got to finish up the timing belt and water pump as the rest of my parts had come in. I think the PET is wrong; for M6 bolts it shows 1x 45mm and 2x 65mm... but I think it's the other way around. I got the wrong sized bolt, but the dremel made short work of that. I also took care of some of the small vacuum lines which were split, and started on the larger ones as well. This allowed me to get the upper charge tube back in place also. All the rubber up top is good. I had to replace the rubber elbow at the end of the intake -> turbo hard line that goes just underneath the waterpump but I understand that's to be expected.

Timing belt with just 90° of deflection. The pulley that came in the new Continental kit doesn't have a bolt end on it like the old one! I only had M10x35mm bolts which are just a hair too short for my liking and so I used the original bolt with some washers and improvised a tool to get the pulley to the right tension. Looks fugly but it'll do.

Here's how he sits at the moment until the rain passes. I'm debating putting the timing belt cover back on. I probably will, as the only thing that made it really difficult to remove was the A/C which I am not reinstalling.

Next up: finish replacing the bigger vacuum lines from the purolator and intake to the charcoal canister, removing the rest of the A/C components from the engine bay, figuring out my radiator situation.. That last one is really the only thing up in the air. I might get to it all later tonight or tomorrow depending on the weather!
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't this supposed to be the off-road Safari car?
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifty50Plus wrote:
Wasn't this supposed to be the off-road Safari car?

No...that was another 1982 chassis I had, which I gave to one of the local guys.
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speak of the devil...
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=44131
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifty, an off-roader would be cool! I'm probably going to street/track/auto-x this build though.

So today I had a bit more time to work on it and got the rest of the large vacuum lines sorted, put the timing belt cover back on, and proceeded to continue removing the A/C components.

Got the receiver removed and its bracket as well. Then it was mostly tackling all the rubber covered hose mounts in hard to get places. What a pain in the neck! Found out the evaporator was not mounted under the passenger side of the dash anyhow, so my deal at this point is to bring the hoses up to the top of the engine bay, then push them through the firewall and then pull them from the driver over to the passenger side. I think that's it.

I probably could have cut the hoses but maybe this way someone else can get some use from these components... Sigh. I'm just glad it's getting done; less clutter and weight. Less crap I won't use anyhow!

Starting to look like a real engine bay again.

Once I finish pulling the A/C hoses through into the cabin I'll dig into that radiator and see if I can't free the fan switch from the buckling bung.. Really hoping I don't have to pony up for a new radiator here. At this point all I have left is to mount it up and fill the cooling system in order to get the car running again. It's supposed to rain this evening so maybe if that keeps holding off I'll go out after dinner. Maybe next weekend I can have a running 931!
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. There it is. Hope it doesn't leak!

I just had to do this before the A/C stuff, for grins I mocked it up. The mounting bushings are coming tomorrow so I'll be able to mount it for real this week. The lower passenger side captive nut rusted itself free so I will have to sort that out somehow.

Mocked in the coolant hoses and hard tubes to make sure I had them all with all the clamps. It's been a year or so since I took this apart so I just wanted to be sure!

To be fair, I did mess around with the A/C lines but I can't get them through the firewall because the grommet they sit in just won't come loose. Later this week I am going to have my wife give me a hand putting some pressure on the lines from the engine bay while I pry at the grommet with a screwdriver and pull on the lines from in the driver's footwell. I'm this close to just cutting the lines.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a bunch today -- thought I'd be wrapping it up and getting to drive it this evening, but nothing ever works as we want huh?

So I spent some more time wrestling with the A/C lines, and ended up cutting them. What a pain in the butt!

Next task was to finish mounting the radiator since the rubber bushings for them came in this week. Only problem is I had to cut the lower passenger side bolt because it was rusted in place. So the lower valence came off to facilitate fixing this without laying on my back.

Got that sucker with some heat and vice grips, as usual...

While the valance was out, I fixed up some of the dings. It was pretty gnarly before; I should have taken a picture! Here's "after" though.

Got most of it bolted back up save for finishing up the hoses.

Hooked up battery, filled up the tank and cranked it up. A few pumps of the pedal and...

https://i.imgur.com/Prao4Se.mp4

Can't embed video, but here's the scoop: Runs fine! Leaks too! I can't see where it's coming from so I am thinking behind the water pump -- I just didn't seal it well enough or...? We'll see!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: