Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

931 (Woody) project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove it a bunch this weekend. Well, not a bunch, but 3 spirited drives (as much as I could stomach on the box-o-rocks tires) and enough to really get my feel of the car for the first time.

Cannot wait until suspension stuff is done... I only have a 36mm socket so I picked up a wrench to be able to adjust ride height via the eccentric on the trailing blade. On seeing another thread from awhile ago when plundering for tips and 931 goodness on the forum, I saw that Rasta recommended "fresh control arm bushings, fresh struts and shocks, biggest front sway you can find and a 19mm lindsey rear". That wisdom seems to be pretty common, so while I'm in here... Since I have the control arm bushes and dampers already, and I have a 23mm front sway, I thought "why the heck not" to a 19mm rear and adjustable drop links.

So new tires go on tomorrow, and maybe over the next few evenings I can get the front suspension sorted (well, good enough to get it safely to the alignment shop). Not looking forward to the control arms, but whatever. Maybe while I'm in there I'll procrastinate bushes in favor of brakes, as I have new soft lines and pads all around as a part of my TODO list.

Also bought this weekend, and very much looking forward to arriving, a VDO boost gauge (-30psi vacuum to 25psi boost) that will help me monitor what's going on. I love the noises from this thing, and there's a lot to feel out, but I will be pleased to know what it's doing for real. I was super tempted to build a boost controller a la Ideola but I've got a lot going on here at the moment with this car and I really just want to shake it down good before I try to crank it up a notch on this old engine.

Other short/medium term goals with this car include:
* fixing the passenger window (or maybe manual swap??)
* fixing the headlights (unknown issue -- pop but do not light)
* adjusting the headlight bar.. it sticks a bit 3/4 way up
* wiring up fogs
* replacing hatch seal
* replacing hatch struts
* replacing sunroof seal
* replacing window seals
* reworking the interior (too many dash/trim squeaks)

It'd be nice to get most of that fixed up this year. We'll see how far I get!
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well so I got the front tires on. 205/55r16..

These wheels ARE staggered, it was not just the tires, and the shop wouldn't throw 205s on an 8" wide wheel. So I had to order 225/50r16 and will have them on tomorrow.

Bonus points, the inner lip of one of the front wheels is dented so I am going to have to find a wheel straightener at some point if I want these things perfect.

---

Already with just the front tires refreshed what a world of difference. Every little bit I do to this car really makes such a big improvement. What a blast!
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooo-boy! Even with a very tired front suspension this thing holds!! Loads of grip on these Continentals; I am very happy. Now to find the time to do more of the suspension work.. I have the rear sway and end links now, so I can tighten up front and rear both as soon as I'm able. I think tomorrow and Saturday it's supposed to be clear so I should have the time to spread out and get it done.

Prior to dinner tonight I had a chance to install my boost gauge and take it for a quick run. I'm getting every bit of 6-7ish PSI of boost at WOT (yay!), and running between 13-14in/Hg of vacuum (must be more leaks!) so I've still got some chasing to do. I know immediately one leak I have is the fuel distributor to turbo compressor inlet bellows -- it's pretty tired. Per some thread on one of the 931 subforums I found a proper sized silicone elbow. I just have to trim it and get it in. I need to find someone with a smoke tester that I can figure out the rest of them, or just pony up for a few more elbows and short bits of rubber.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just reading through some of the basics threads looking for vacuum tips.

Found this gem from How to resurrect a long dead turbo:

Rasta Monsta wrote:
Great write-up, and I wanted to emphasize the intake rubber refresh. Visual inspection is not good enough for these elbows. Assume all are bad, and replace all of them, and all vaccuum lines.

DON'T SKIMP! All components are available thru PCNA.

Blargh. I guess I am going to. Uh. Tear down more?
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacobroufa wrote:
Was just reading through some of the basics threads looking for vacuum tips.

Found this gem from How to resurrect a long dead turbo:

Rasta Monsta wrote:
Great write-up, and I wanted to emphasize the intake rubber refresh. Visual inspection is not good enough for these elbows. Assume all are bad, and replace all of them, and all vaccuum lines.

DON'T SKIMP! All components are available thru PCNA.

Blargh. I guess I am going to. Uh. Tear down more?

Especially the little cloth covered ones that go from the TB to the WUR and distributor and stuff.. Also one off the break booster line..
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:
Especially the little cloth covered ones that go from the TB to the WUR and distributor and stuff.. Also one off the break booster line..

I was literally looking at this one today when I tee'd off the line for my gauge. I ignored it when I freshened up the rest because it looked like too much of a pain to get to...

Damn lazy piece of.. I gotta do the thing already.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The T's are plastic so you might brake them... I replaced all mine with brass ones from the hardware store..

Those little hoses on my car looked fine from outside but were just powder on the inside.. Probably one of the best things I did to my car..
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacobroufa wrote:

Prior to dinner tonight I had a chance to install my boost gauge and take it for a quick run. I'm getting every bit of 6-7ish PSI of boost at WOT (yay!), and running between 13-14in/Hg of vacuum (must be more leaks!) so I've still got some chasing to do. I

Shame you guys in the US don’t get the full fat 10psi we have in Europe. Or the 15+psi a few of us have in modified form. That would really put a smile on your face.
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woody is an S1. In my experience, the S1s can handle 10PSI with no intercooling. Water meth injection will allow 12-15 PSI depending on ambient temps and near-CGT power levels.
jazz guy  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrera RSR wrote:
Shame you guys in the US don’t get the full fat 10psi we have in Europe. Or the 15+psi a few of us have in modified form. That would really put a smile on your face.

The car does start to come alive around 12psi. I can also confirm that 15+psi is quite smile inducing, indeed.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all are talking about dreams when I'm chasing some basics still!

Agonizing over what to do next, so instead of thinking too hard I'm just going to go out and start pulling things apart.

Up for grabs this weekend:
* front struts and mounts
* front control arm bushes (tbd on the ball joints -- have them if I need to though)
* brake pads all around
* brake hoses all around (might wait to do that one and get all the hydraulics done at the same time; they're all in fair shape but I also have clutch cylinders on hand and kinda want to get them all done)
* rear sway bar and end links
* vacuum diagrams

On the last item, I am going to leave it apart for a day or so in order to facilitate replacement of the tees and elbows with brass numbers per Eddie's suggestion. McMaster-Carr is in the Chicago suburbs and so shipping shouldn't be more than a day or two to me.

Not looking forward to having this car down for more than a day. Since I've got it running, it's been such a blast to drive and work on. Very rewarding car.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be more boost one day though. Probably sooner than I'm betting.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brake pads done in the rear. Driver still had some meat on it but the passenger side was near toast! The inner was just incredibly thin; nearly on the metal.

And I managed to put the 19mm rear Lindsey Racing sway bar in. Set it up on the middle hole with the links at the same height as stock. We will see how it does.

Way more substantial than the outgoing bar. Looked pretty too, until I scuffed it all up getting it in, squeezing between the exhaust and the transmission. I had to drill out the hole slightly also, as the stock bolt would not fit and an M8 didn't seem big enough...

I wanted to adjust the rear height also, as after measuring at the sills I am 15/16" taller in the rear. I successfully got the pinch bolt moving but could not free the eccentric -- I do not have air tools, and could not get good leverage with my breaker bar due to the height limit of my jack stands. That will have to wait until I'm on a lift or have some help.

Today I should get to the front struts and mounts and control arm bushes and brake pads. If I manage to get through all that, I'll be quite pleased. But first, time to take it for a quick drive.
Cédric  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should definitely rebuild the calipers if it hasn't been done recently,that wear looks pretty bad.

A strong impact gun is an essential tool in the garage, i have three of battery ones in different sizes from tiny to really big, makes life so much easier
ideola  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cédric wrote:
A strong impact gun is an essential tool in the garage, i have three of battery ones in different sizes from tiny to really big, makes life so much easier

So is PB Blaster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: