Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

931 (Woody) project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it!

So I recalled seeing this thread in the 931 Tech forum: http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?p=400710#400710 where Vaughan cautions against the timing belt slipping.. I had the belt off twice because I had to redo the water pump seal. Each time it must have slipped because it was definitely off.

I cranked the main pulley until the dot aligned on the cam tower, found this beauty off on the pulley...

Moved it to align, and found that the dot was two notches off (cam tower casting blurred in foreground)

Went to crank it, and boom started right up!!

https://i.imgur.com/8tkoIYp.mp4

I had to stop for dinner and so by the time I got back around to finishing changing the oil and topping off the water (no coolant yet as I needed to be sure of no leaks and don't want to waste it) it was starting to get dark. No headlights for some reason so because of the light I only made a couple pulls up and down my street. Dang! What a good feeling!

This thing is so much... MORE (in many ways) than my '81 Weissach. I am very much looking forward to getting the kinks sorted out. I have struts and shocks that came with the car to put on and get rid of the tired ones on there. I have to get new tires because the ones mounted now are at 12 years old and dry rotted. I also need to swap out the rear wheel spacers, so the tires don't rub when the car squats on acceleration.

But they're froze on there pretty good. I will have to take a whack at them again when I have more time.

I also found a couple things out about the car -- There are in fact new hood padding from classic 9. Thanks Dan! I definitely did not see the before.

There are provisions in the rear carpet sides for rear shoulder belts. Because the carpet was swapped I couldn't see any mounting for belt retraction mechanisms, but that's cool if I ever want a 3pt belt back there!

I am tempted to get rid of the rear seats altogether though in favor of a 968-style cubby. I was looking at the seat back and it is way too short! Centered on the seat, there's a large gap on either side.

So here the car sits, after I got it back from my maiden voyage in it after some much needed maintenance and entirely too much time passing. That old timing belt was scary and I think I've taken care of the coolant leaks it had. This car is going to be a lot of fun. I am very excited.

morghen  

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, gonna be a nice 931
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 968 rear cubby if you're interested. $300.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@morghen, thanks! Very much looking forward to it. The 931 is a different animal than the 924 I am learning.

@ideola possibly! I thought you had sold that part separate from the car. I just ordered new tires and I'm a bit over budget this month so I should probably hold on that but I will let you know maybe in June or July.
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacobroufa wrote:
@morghen, thanks! Very much looking forward to it. The 931 is a different animal than the 924 I am learning.

@ideola possibly! I thought you had sold that part separate from the car. I just ordered new tires and I'm a bit over budget this month so I should probably hold on that but I will let you know maybe in June or July.

I was thinking of keeping it for another project. It's not listed anywhere, so right now, you'd have first dibs. No pressure no rush.
davidschmalz  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Looks and sounds awesome! And you have an aircooled Vanagon too!
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan will let you know!

Thanks David! I do have an aircooled vanagon, 1981. Getting some engine work done right now and hopefully will be able to camp by the time covid quarantine is through.

Update today.. I drove it at lunch and it was a blast, but that rubbing in the rear was driving me bonkers. Not just the rubbing but all the clunking too.. It was obnoxious.

So after dinner I got both spacers off; just needed more patience and a bigger hammer. And since that went quicker than I expected, and I had the 19mm out for the wheels, I changed out the tired old rear struts with some nice Bilsteins Dan included with the car when I bought it. By the look of them they are Bilstein 24-001618, and were lightly used.

He's a whole different beast now! I cannot wait until I get the fronts changed over, get some fresh tires on, and have an alignment done. What a world of difference though, the clunking and banging of the worn dampers and squealing of the tires on the inner fender is gone. Way more confident feeling.

Tires are happening next week Monday; I will have to find some time between now and then to swap the front dampers and make an appointment with the alignment shop.

When I had the rear wheels off I took a good look at the brake pads and I am definitely going to have to change them ASAP. Not squealing yet but I wouldn't be surprised if that started in the next week or two as there's only a tiny bit of meat on them. Unsure about the fronts. I have pads for all four corners, so not concerned; just noting. I will have to have the rear rotors turned as well, if not replaced. I *think* I heard a bit of a wheel bearing noise also, but I'm not going to jump the gun on it just yet. One thing at a time....
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, the tires that came on those wheels had a taller ratio in the rear. When you get correct ratio tires on there, you might be able to put the spacers back on with no rubbing, especially now that you have the Bilsteins installed.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan yup as noted in this thread they are currently shod with 205/55R16 up front and 225/55R16 in the rear. The new tires I am getting are 205/55 all around. I was thinking the exact same thing when I pulled the spacers off -- they are original pieces and the car came with 7J wheels stock, right?. It'll be close!

I wish I could reindex the torsion bars and get lowering springs right now, but I don't know if I feel up to dropping the rear suspension potentially multiple times, with the car only up on jack stands. It sounds like quite a process and I think a lift would be much help for something like this. It'd probably be worth getting heavier bars while I'm in there, upgrading the sway bar, and doing a lot more bushing and part replacement/refurbishing besides, so I will wait. I am lusting after morghen and CarreraRSR stance..... (and those wintercults) one day.
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome to use my lift any time. I have breathing room in the shop now!!!
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the excenters maxed out? They provide quite a bit of lowering potential without reindexing. 7s should be easy to fit back there, my 8s even with the 245 racing tyres still have room
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put 7 in. cookie cutters on my race car this past year. I removed the rear spacer and they fit fine even with the lowering I've done to the car.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Thanks all.

@Cedric; are you referring to the trailing blade adjustment -- two 24mm nuts pictured here? I have not done this adjustment yet.

The 924.org tech section where this pic is found mentions:
Quote:
This is something that the tinkering enthusiast can do by himself as long as he has a level site to do the adjustment. The more advanced enthusiast may make some more subtle adjustments, actually weigh-balancing the rear corners with those cams. I will add that this should be done after new shocks have been installed but prior to alignment.

Do you know anything about the weight balancing? How does that work and is this something I can do at home along with leveling the car to an even right height? Why should this happen prior to alignment? I intended to get one because I have front suspension to replace anyhow, so good thing for me to plan, but it sounds like the weight balancing makes a big difference. Should I plan on that too?
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacobroufa wrote:
I am lusting after morghen and CarreraRSR stance..... (and those wintercults) one day.

Ditch the balloon tires first......

Maybe too far in the near future but consider arch rolling. Its not easy as the lips are really thick metal. You have to be careful not to deform the panel above.

Wheel and tire choice are really a balance with spacers and a little trial and error. Current fit is
Fuchs = Front, 7x16 ET 205 45 (should have bought 50). Rear, 8x16 ET23 215 45. 15mm rear spacer, 20mm fits but tire is really close to the arch. These are road tire sizes

Wintercults = Front + Rear 8x16 ET 52 215 45 road tire and 225 45 R tire. 15mm spacer front with road tire, no spacer with R tire. Rear 40mm road tire, and 30mm R tire

Also consider I'm running 1.5-2.0 deg negative cambers to tuck the wheel/tire top into the arch but mainly for track geometry than pure stance

So getting the stance takes some effort and changes when switching tires

Hope this helps with your goals?
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrera RSR wrote:
jacobroufa wrote:
I am lusting after morghen and CarreraRSR stance..... (and those wintercults) one day.

Ditch the balloon tires first......

Maybe too far in the near future but consider arch rolling. Its not easy as the lips are really thick metal. You have to be careful not to deform the panel above.

Wheel and tire choice are really a balance with spacers and a little trial and error. Current fit is
Fuchs = Front, 7x16 ET 205 45 (should have bought 50). Rear, 8x16 ET23 215 45. 15mm rear spacer, 20mm fits but tire is really close to the arch. These are road tire sizes

Wintercults = Front + Rear 8x16 ET 52 215 45 road tire and 225 45 R tire. 15mm spacer front with road tire, no spacer with R tire. Rear 40mm road tire, and 30mm R tire

Also consider I'm running 1.5-2.0 deg negative cambers to tuck the wheel/tire top into the arch but mainly for track geometry than pure stance

So getting the stance takes some effort and changes when switching tires

Hope this helps with your goals?

Hahaha thank you! This is helpful to know.

I've got smaller tires going on Tuesday, though not 45 sidewall! I hadn't wanted to go that short because of the "vintage" look of the taller sidewall. I have thought about arch rolling but until I'm lower it's not crucial to think about. However now that I know that's part of your car's great looks I will keep that on hand for when I go lower!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: