Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Water-to-air intercooler installation - 81 931
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think the 45deg pipe does have the beads depending on when it was sourced (?? in the original kit I mean) but a good point along with the heat softening idea.

Is the little bit of oil present making the sealing less effective? Its possible the oil is affecting the silicon over time? (in that some silicon hoses are not as good with oil)
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike9311 wrote:
I actually think the 45deg pipe does have the beads depending on when it was sourced (?? in the original kit I mean) but a good point along with the heat softening idea.

Is the little bit of oil present making the sealing less effective? Its possible the oil is affecting the silicon over time? (in that some silicon hoses are not as good with oil)

Good point, since its vertical any accumulated oil on the walls can creep down and sit against the clamp when its shut off, and yeah silicone isnt the biggest fan of oil.
lildude4life  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar issue with the 45 degree hose off the turbo.

Ended up finding a (memory is fuzzy) a 2" to 2.25" reducer 45 degree elbow.

We obviously don't have the same turbo, but I had slippage issues too and what solved is was a better sized elbow going to the turbo that was naturally a tighter fit.
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: Maybe you need to try to heat insulate the silicone hose

That might be a good idea. Temps in that area measured with a laser thermometer are high. The hose and hose clamp measured over 200F after a run yesterday.

Re: Measuring water temp at least before the intercooler would tell you alot about the capacity of the system, and how/if it stabilizes water temperature relative to ambient temperature.

I installed the water temp sensor after the intercooler pump, but before the intercooler. Water temps were generally 5 -10 degrees over ambient air temps....but quickly climbed when sitting still...maybe +15 - 20 degrees.

Edit: And then the high temp fan kicks in and cools things down again. Maybe 10 degrees over ambient. Need to be cruising to see 5 degrees over ambient air temp.

Re: Whats the state of the turbocharger, when was it rebuilt last time?

Turbo was rebuilt by previous owner in 2017. I'd say maybe 12K miles on it at the most.

Re: You need a proper lip on the metal tubes that the silicone will be clamped on.

That would help but not sure how I could get that done.

Last edited by chuck21401 on Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:15 am; edited 2 times in total
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: I actually think the 45deg pipe does have the beads depending on when it was sourced (?? in the original kit I mean) but a good point along with the heat softening idea.

I didn't buy the kit but followed the parts list.
Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20160620120908/http://garage.ideola.com/prod-BoostSolutions.html

2 45 degree silicone pipes and one 90 degree aluminum elbow. The elbow has lips on either end....as does the intercooler inlet.

I don't know for sure that heat and oil caused the problem, but it didn't help.

The replacement silicone hose was much firmer. I also replaced the orange o ring (99970147340) at the turbo. That was soft; the new one was firm.

I put everything back together; so far so good. I turned the boost down to 10PSI.

Last edited by chuck21401 on Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:42 am; edited 7 times in total
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lildude4life wrote:
I had a similar issue with the 45 degree hose off the turbo.

Ended up finding a (memory is fuzzy) a 2" to 2.25" reducer 45 degree elbow.

We obviously don't have the same turbo, but I had slippage issues too and what solved is was a better sized elbow going to the turbo that was naturally a tighter fit.

Good idea. I might have to try that next.

From the factory the lower boost pipe was held in place by a bracket (4), maybe they were on to something.

I was looking at the parts diagram to illustrate that point... but check out part #8A. 93111028900.

The description reads "rubber sleeve (FROM YEAR 82 UP)". I haven't seen that before. Was that sleeve and hose clamps added to seal up that area? Or maybe keep some heat off the o-ring ( 8 )?

chuck21401  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck21401 wrote:

4. In addition to oil in the intake track....I'm getting external oil leaks. It appears that they are coming from the oil feed line that goes into the turbo mount. Parts 2&3 in the diagram below. But it's also possible that it could be coming from the other side...which means replacing the green o-rings? Ugh. Everything I've seen so far indicates that the turbo has to come off....unless you get lucky by tightening things up. I'm not that lucky. The more I read the more I see that these things could be interconnected. It sounds like loose connections at the turbo, turbo mount, exhaust manifold, etc can lead to oil leaks. So I'll try to tighten things up first and then figure out what to do next if the situation doesn't improve.[/img]

I was able to slightly tighten the center nut with a crow foot socket wrench and extensions. I wasn't able to tighten the allen head nuts with tools I have; I'll need a lower profile allen socket or maybe an allen ball socket? This thread was helpful, though to fix the leaks it sounds like the turbo needs to come out. https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=41232.

While I was there I found that the turbo to block mount bolts (that I could reach) were loose again. I need to get the car on jackstands and check things from the bottom...and install the third Porsche bolt that secures the turbo to the exhaust manifold.

chuck21401  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: So I'm trying to figure out what is going on. I noticed oil in the hoses as well as the intercooler. I've seen this before and the car does NOT smoke. But it makes me wonder if somehow the intercooler has become clogged? I'm going to drain the antifreeze, remove the intercooler and take a look.

I found some oil in the intercooler but not as much as I feared and it wasn't clogged. I cleaned it out with carb cleaner and pushed some air through it with my shop vac using it as a blower.

I opened the throttle body....no oil present there.

I also figured out why I had a problem getting the intercooler to fit to the throttle body...note that the lip is dented. I sanded the area *slightly* and now it fits just fine. No wonder it kept cutting the big orange O ring...and the seal wasn't perfect. Luckily I had an extra big O ring on hand.

chuck21401  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck21401 wrote:

2. The existing temp gauge and new sensor cable will be repurposed to measure the water temp in the intercooler. What would be more interesting...water temp before or after the intercooler?

As mentioned above, I mounted the water temp sensor(circled below) between the pump and the intercooler. The part is AUTO METER 2281 Heater Hose Adapter. https://www.autometer.com/3-4-heater-hose-adapter.html

Here's where I bought the water temp sensor/cable.

https://www.mainline-sensors.co.uk/collections/gauges/products/water-temperature-gauge-with-quality-2-meter-sensor-cable

This pic reminds me that I need a new air box strap.

I ran the sensor cable under the intake, across the firewall and into the cabin near the blower motor.

chuck21401  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric wrote:

Could be a good idea to bench test the sensors with a hair dryer and see if they are slow or fast, could be good to know, it not always practical to need 40s full bost, at least not on the road

I connected one sensor to a 931 boost pipe I had laying around, the other sensor is off to the side measuring ambient air temp. I did a couple of tests before this one, so the boost pipe was still warm when the test started.

I took a hair dryer and turned it on high....after about 16 seconds I hit the "cold" button that bypasses the heating element. In this video the temp goes up to around 158F and then back down to around 105F.

https://youtu.be/Ga5AAg8M4LQ

It will be interesting to see the readings once I get everything installed.

chuck21401  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the new gauge to measure intake air temps before and after the intercooler. I've mounted it temporarily under the passenger shelf; I'd like to find a better home for both temp gauges.

The first sensor is mounted in the silicon boost pipe before the intercooler.

The second sensor is mounted in place of the original S2 intake air temperature sensor.

Here is a close up the K type thermocouple.

Here is what the test set up looks like. The gauge labeled intercooler temp measures the water temperature after the front mounted heat exchanger but before the intercooler.

These video clips are not the best but they give you an idea of the intake temps and how well the intercooler is working. At 22 seconds into the longer video, the intake temp after the turbo hits 238F while the intake temp at the throttle body is just over 100F. And that was with around 12-13psi of boost. It's interesting to see how quick the temps rise on boost...and I'll be curious to see what the readings will be at 15psi of boost.

Short clip (6 seconds)
https://youtube.com/shorts/Fw75xMZcszs

Longer video (30 seconds)
https://youtu.be/PbmZWOYmJhI
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great that the setup is up and running. Will be interesting to see how it behaves after some repeated accelerations down a twisty road and after some high speed driving.

I think its positive that the boost temp responds quickly, the boost air itself should be pretty much instantly follow the boost pressure. At least out of the compressor, in the intake there is of course the inertia of the IC itself.

I did a theoretical plot of the calculated boost temps, I only do metric though Mind the X axis, its absolute, so Ambient pressure+boost pressure. But its a rough guide on what to expect, it shouldnt deviate wildly from the theoretical numbers, or something is off.

Boost outlet temp with 20 degree inlet temp, and 65% efficiency (which is low so probably at the end of the rev range). I dont remember which compressor you have on there? You would probably end up at the 250-260F range at full boost then

chuck21401  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The numbers on the turbo are K26 2664 G 4.10

I believe that is the larger S1 compressor. I was running 15psi but the boost hose kept popping off the turbo. Will run 12-13psi for awhile.

I’m a bit surprised by intake temps before the intercooler at modest boost but also impressed to see the temps at the throttle body are 100+ degrees less.

The short videos don’t cover the recovery after hitting the boost hard, things cool down quicker than I expected. The heat exchanger is working well but still thinking about mounting a bigger one.

Mike9311  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the thread size on that thermo? I like what you did there and maybe that could be into the billet pipe as a threaded boss

On the '82 I welded a boss at the rear to improve my connection the the wastegate hose. Suppose that is an option but nobody really wants to weld on the $$ intercooler
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike9311 wrote:
What is the thread size on that thermo? I like what you did there and maybe that could be into the billet pipe as a threaded boss

On the '82 I welded a boss at the rear to improve my connection the the wastegate hose. Suppose that is an option but nobody really wants to weld on the $$ intercooler

The sensors are 1/8 NPT. Here's the bung from Mismoto; I added some blue loctite. Not sure what would happen if that nut breaks loose.
https://www.mishimoto.com/aluminum-1-8-npt-add-on-bung-hoses-couplers.html

The stock IAT sensor is M14 x 1.5.

I used this adapter to go from M14 X 1.5 to 1/8 NPT
https://www.amazon.com/GlowShift-Female-Sensor-Adapter-Reducer/dp/B00NWZV3CE

The other gauge packages I found used 3/8 NPT sensors. I found an adapter but wasn't sure that the tip of sensor would go all the way in. And I didn't want to retap the intake. I've seen metric intake sensors but wasn't sure if they work with the gauges.

I considered these other gauges...most have 3/8 NPT sensors. I couldn't figure out the Davtron sensor size. But apparently Andial offered one with their branding a couple of years ago for the 930 crowd.

https://www.autometer.com/2-1-16-air-temp-dual-channel-100-300-f-ultra-lite.html

https://prosportgauges.com/collections/air-temp/products/2-1-16-dual-intercooler-air-temperature-gauge

https://www.revel-usa.com/vls/ic-temp

https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/10-color-digital-dual-intake-temperature-gauge/

https://www.davtron.com/product-detail.php?M308-42

The SPA gauge isn't the fastest but I figured updates 4 times per second would be fast enough for me to get an idea of what is happening with the temps. So far I've seen 260 degrees before the intercooler....115 after the intercooler....90 degree ambient air temps @ 13psi max.

I'd really like to find one of these gauge pods that fits in place of the center speaker grill or find someone to make another run...in brown would be even better

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: