Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Water-to-air intercooler installation - 81 931
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C�dric wrote:
Im not sure how much you know about thermodynamics

Only what I remember from high school physics.

C�dric wrote:
Maybe if you do 1 run from the red lights. Otherwise if you plan on high speed driving, or driving on a track you will enter into more of a steady state condition.

Understood and that is why I went with this intercooler vs. the air to air intercooler. When I'm driving around I'm not constantly on boost.

C�dric wrote:
There is a reason that in the OEM performance cars the charge cooler radiatior is really big. Because you need alot of radiatior area to take the fluid down to low temperatures. Im not sure how much you know about thermodynamics, for example reducing the coolant from 90->80 degress takes a small radiatior, but cooling it down from 50-40 degrees takes a way way larger radiatior, because heat transfer is much slower.

All of that makes sense. I found the paragraph that I mentioned above:

There was one other quote I found interesting in the section about water pumps: "If the pumps run continuously, the interesting thing happens that the when off boost, the intake air will be cooling the water in the IC."

I ordered the intake temperature gauge...without data it's just talk right?

Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not saying he is wrong, but his assumption is that you only squirt on boost from time to time. Which is a very narrow way of usage, and is more or less using the thermal inertia. I wouldnt put my money on a very expensive charge cooler to have such limited use, but every one do as they want

To have low temps in repeated use the radiator will have to be big, or it will heats soak fairly quickly. Look at the BMW m cars for example, the primary radiatior is almost as big as the engine radiatior, and it has an additional radiatior on the side in series. Ive not worked on massive amounts of charge cooled engines at work, but I have some experience from them, though they where a bit larger
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On boost air temps post turbo at 1bar will over 100degC. I saw 125degC with a 2660 compressor. Even at cruise at 70mph can see 40-50degC post turbo temps.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting to hear the insinuation that cruising air could help cool the l2a ic bank while not on boost..
I have never even considered that but it totally makes sense.. Hmmm..

Thinking of this also a large “bank” would also be advantageous, as in a lot of volume of water storage, to soak up a lot of heat... But then nose weight..

I’d just put a cooler in front of the rad as big as it will fit and call it a day..

Just go big, as big as you can fit.. IMO..

PS: Be sure to put antifreeze in it just like your engine.. 50/50
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:
Very interesting to hear the insinuation that cruising air could help cool the l2a ic bank while not on boost..
I have never even considered that but it totally makes sense.. Hmmm..

Thinking of this also a large “bank” would also be advantageous, as in a lot of volume of water storage, to soak up a lot of heat... But then nose weight..

I’d just put a cooler in front of the rad as big as it will fit and call it a day..

Just go big, as big as you can fit.. IMO..

PS: Be sure to put antifreeze in it just like your engine.. 50/50

It also depends on what you expect from your charge cooler, but as I said before If I payed so much for the radiatior I wouldnt want to to have half decent performance. The risk is to end up in a situation where the charge cooler have much higher outlet temps than you expect (and have set timing and fuelling for), that can blow up engines, ive seen it happen on TMIC cars which can heat soak badly in some situations. If you have the DITC with the boost temp sensor it might save you from the worst situations.

Thermal inertia is good, especilly if you drive around with sporadic boost. But if you push it it will be alot of mass to cool down if your radiatior is to small. Look at low power engines like the Toyota Celica ST205 charge cooler system, it have a pretty large radiator, with very small finn, even though it runs pretty low boost, and its not exactly over engineered for the job. OK, enough of my bs
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I missing something with charge coolers versus air to air intercoolers? I've never got my head around the hauling of added weight of water, pumps for a charge coooler. Once heat soaked its often harder to cool. I cannot see the benefits only the pitfalls. Happy to be educated.
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrera RSR wrote:
Am I missing something with charge coolers versus air to air intercoolers? I've never got my head around the hauling of added weight of water, pumps for a charge coooler. Once heat soaked its often harder to cool. I cannot see the benefits only the pitfalls. Happy to be educated.

A front mounted air-to-air intercooler might be the best option for the 931. Porsche went that route with the 944 turbo.

My favorite remains the 924 GTR intercooler. If I hit the lottery I'm going to buy the 924 GTR from the Porsche dealer in Houston.

Over the years a variety of intercoolers have been fitted to the 931. A thread was devoted to the topic on the Porsche 924 turbo & Carrera GT/S/R Owners Club facebook group back in April 2020. This link will work if you join the group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1205664256276942/permalink/1605426102967420

From what I've read, there are definitely some downsides to the water to air intercooler...from the extra weight to heat soak. Indeed, Corky Bell's book points out that a poor design could result in no improvement.

But on the other side of the coin, the TMCC (top mount charge cooler) seemed to fit my needs so I bought one. Most of the time I am not on boost when driving around. I don't intend to take the car to the track. Currently I'm running 8-9psi without an intercooler and I'm looking for a modest increase in power running between 10-12psi . In my mind, the biggest advantage here is a bolt on kit that requires no sheet metal work. I like the stock look and didn't want a hood scoop. I also wanted something that I could reasonably do myself in my garage. On top of that the system can be expanded with a reservoir and larger heat exchanger. At this point I'm looking forward to finishing up the basic install and trying it out.

Several other board members are running the TMCC, maybe some with chime in with their impressions.

Last edited by chuck21401 on Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the top mount l2a cooler is better than the top mount a2a cooler..

I’m not a big fan of a top mount a2a intercooler right above the exhaust/turbo on 931s..
Maybe good/decent at constant speed but it looks like a time bomb in stop and go traffic (top mount a2a)..

I think the l2a there will be better, but I would consider wrapping/insulating it no matter how pretty it is, to shield it from those under good temps..

If you boost a bunch and then have to stop and idle for a bit, it’s super hot there.. My naca duct area is progressively loosing paint.. Exhaust glows at night after some hard boosting then Immediately stopping and popping the hood..

The gts/gtr intercoolers are amazing, but in attempting to keep things relatively stock, I hate saying it, but I think my ic setup is.... I love it and would do it again in an instant..

Chuck.. Just staying at 9psi, just adding the intercooler, you are going to feel a bunch of power just from the lower intake temps, and when you pop the hood your intake manifold will go from frying eggs hot to surprisingly cool to the touch..
Just the IC will make such a huge difference..
I was amazed at the change it made on my car just adding an IC, and I was only at stock boost..

Add the lower temp thermostat and lower temp rad fan operation to that mix, and you are in for a much healthier engine overall..
jazz guy  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the top mount water to air IC concept is cool, no pun intended. I like the advantage of having a shorter intake path and I like the way it looks. I'm sure you can make it work, especially on a street car. Worst case, you throw a bigger IC radiator in front. Without AC, there should be enough room.

It'll be interesting to see how it does when you're driving sustained highway speeds where the car is right at boost. With inclines and traffic, it's easy to be in boost for pretty long periods. Maybe the increased air flow will offset the it. Looking forward to hearing more about your progress!

Cheers! Brian
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck21401 wrote:

But on the other side of the coin, the TMCC (top mount charger cooler) seemed to fit my needs so I bought one. Most of the time I am not on boost when driving around. I don't intend to take the car to the track. Currently I'm running 8-9psi without an intercooler and I'm looking for a modest increase in power running between 10-12psi . In my mind, the biggest advantage here is a bolt on kit that requires no sheet metal work. I like the stock look and didn't want a hood scoop. I also wanted something that I could reasonably do myself in my garage. On top of that the system can be expanded with a reservoir and larger heat exchanger. At this point I'm looking forward to finishing up the basic install and trying it out.

Several other board members are running the TMCC, maybe some with chime in with their impressions.

Agreed, I can see the benefit of top mount charge cooler versus TMIC for modest performance improvement. If you don't want to make too many modifications to your 931. Fairly easy bolt on solution

For my CGT/GTS race car project I'll be again cutting the 931 inner nose metalwork off and grafting in the 944 turbo/S2 front end so its 951 IC ready. I have found the stock 951 IC really efficient in cooling the post turbo air from 100degC+ to just 6-8degC above ambient air temps boosting lots on the road and slightly more when driving in anger on track. Happy with that. The bulk/mass of aluminium in the 951 IC does resist heat soak very well. Flows well enough for 250ish rwhp
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I connected the silicone couplers and the aluminum elbow running from the turbo to the intercooler. Had to trim each coupler about 1 inch. I wasn't able to install as one assembly...had to install the coupler to the turbo first, tighten it down, then add the other parts. Next step will be to run the coolant lines.

One of these would be more elegant.

Mike9311  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far there is only one of those elbows. Need to make a few since I have been asked and need one myself for the CS.

I too am interested to see the real data in all this and hope to get deep into it this coming summer. I have had the luxury of driving a GT twice and was expecting it to be strange with the intercooler/interheater, like there would be some sort of lag of oncoming power at every stop. Yet power was always there. So far with the top mount water cooled unit I have been impressed but alas without data both in the CS and the '82. I am all too curious. Both the CS and '82 will be producing data after this winter break. I also like that they are Bell intercoolers. At least we have that storied history behind them

Of course I am super curious how a front mount would be with a 931. Steve's numbers are phenomenal and there is more to be had from that 951 IC with mods and drop-in replacement upgrades from the likes of Broadfoot and others. I have paused my front mount install for the moment on the red car so I can concentrate on having some Spring rides ready. Steve working on his GTS after his CS was sorted is "pro thinking"

Love the pump install BTW. The '82 is getting some cheap horn replacements this winter. $3-5 ebay buys. Lightweight and noisy.

I think you will be pleased with the 10-12psi use case you are setting up
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started routing the coolant hoses today. With the heat exchanger mounted up front, I didn't have enough hose to get it all connected. Had to order another 8' of 3/4" hose to run from the filler to the heat exchanger.

But I was able to run the line from the cool side of the heat exchanger to the pump and up to the intercooler inlet.

Over to the pump. The Ford performance sticker is just for fun.

I ran the hose up under the headlight motor and the expansion tank. The blue cable ties (representing cool) are to help me keep the hoses straight.

And here is the connection to the cool side of the intercooler.

Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike9311 wrote:
Steve's numbers are phenomenal and there is more to be had from that 951 IC with mods and drop-in replacement upgrades from the likes of Broadfoot and others. I have paused my front mount install for the moment on the red car so I can concentrate on having some Spring rides ready. Steve working on his GTS after his CS was sorted is "pro thinking"

I won't be spending anytime soon on a Stage 1,2 or 3 951 FMIC upgrade. I don't believe I will need it, certainly on the CS and unlikely on the GT/S race shell as its primary focus is on shorter blasts up hill climbs and sprints, not multiple lap circuit racing. I won't be running north of 300bhp so also unlikely to benefit from the upgrades either
safe  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrera RSR wrote:

Packaging...
If you drag race you can ice down the water and get really good charge cooling.

I think I would rather have a smaller air 2 air and use the water tank for water/methanol injection.
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 5 of 18

Jump to: