Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

PAECO Camshafts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeneese  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:38 am    Post subject: PAECO Camshafts Reply with quote

Does anybody know who ground the camshafts and supplied valve spring components from PAECO. They are apparently out of business, thankfully.

Porsche 1982 Euro Spec 924
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know for sure, but when I was looking at cams they looked like they might have been from Webcam. Elgin cams also has quite a few and developed many of the race cams back in the day. Reground cams require additional shims due to the reduced circle dia. Alfa Romeo 9mm shims come in 100+ sizes and are about $4 each. My Elqin 66-15 is great.
Poco a Poco, #033 '78 Vintage racer, SCCA Dp-81
'77 924
cricketdesigns.com
jeneese  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeJinCO wrote:
Don't know for sure, but when I was looking at cams they looked like they might have been from Webcam. Elgin cams also has quite a few and developed many of the race cams back in the day. Reground cams require additional shims due to the reduced circle dia. Alfa Romeo 9mm shims come in 100+ sizes and are about $4 each. My Elqin 66-15 is great.

Cant you give me a part number so I know where to look for these Alfa valve shims.

Thanks

Jim

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Centerline Alfa, looking for 9mm valve stem shims. They are on the early(1960's) twin cam motors.

Using the adjustable lifters you can probably get all the same thickness. Summit Racing and Jegs etc. have fixed thickness cam shims, but finding the 9mm size could be tougher as most valve stems smaller these days. Check with Ferrera valves also. Measure the base(term?) diameter of the new cam versus a stock one should get you close on the thickness needed.

I'm using the Parner cam followers we group bought several years ago and they are solid rather than adjustable and much thinner than stock. We found some known shim stock to stick under the cam followers to make measuring easier, then calc'ed what we needed.

One(of the many) of the design problems of our motor is that the valve train is very heavy so they require stronger springs and load/wear the cam more. Moving all that takes power away.
Poco a Poco, #033 '78 Vintage racer, SCCA Dp-81
'77 924
cricketdesigns.com
jeneese  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeJinCO wrote:
Go to Centerline Alfa, looking for 9mm valve stem shims. They are on the early(1960's) twin cam motors.

Using the adjustable lifters you can probably get all the same thickness. Summit Racing and Jegs etc. have fixed thickness cam shims, but finding the 9mm size could be tougher as most valve stems smaller these days. Check with Ferrera valves also. Measure the base(term?) diameter of the new cam versus a stock one should get you close on the thickness needed.

I'm using the Parner cam followers we group bought several years ago and they are solid rather than adjustable and much thinner than stock. We found some known shim stock to stick under the cam followers to make measuring easier, then calc'ed what we needed.

One(of the many) of the design problems of our motor is that the valve train is very heavy so they require stronger springs and load/wear the cam more. Moving all that takes power away.

Thanks, Very useful information. Raced a Porsche 356 and formula V for many years. Much easier to work on for sure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: