Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

931 Monte Carlo Rally Car

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bureau13  



Joined: 07 Sep 2017
Posts: 276
Location: South Florida

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: 931 Monte Carlo Rally Car Reply with quote

I've become obsesses with the look of this car, more even than the Carrera GT. The article says they made a mold of the flares...anyone know if they're commercially available?

If you scroll down to the engine bay pics, there is what appears to be a top-mount intercooler with a long duct leading down to the nose panel vents? At least that's the best I can guess. There's no CGT hood scoop, just the standard 931 NACA duct that is not positioned over the IC. Anyone know anything about this setup? I wouldn't think it's getting a lot of airflow but I could be wrong.

https://petrolicious.com/articles/history-will-repeat-itself-in-monte-carlo-when-this-porsche-924-turbo-returns-in-2019
_________________
-----------------------------------------
1982 931
1986.5 Silver 928S
2007 Hummer H3 (Daily Driver)

Past lives (I miss them all):
2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1987 RX-7 Turbo II (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Carrera RSR  



Joined: 08 Jan 2010
Posts: 1983
Location: Somerset, UK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 931 Monte Carlo Rally Car Reply with quote

bureau13 wrote:
If you scroll down to the engine bay pics, there is what appears to be a top-mount intercooler with a long duct leading down to the nose panel vents? At least that's the best I can guess. There's no CGT hood scoop, just the standard 931 NACA duct that is not positioned over the IC. Anyone know anything about this setup? I wouldn't think it's getting a lot of airflow but I could be wrong.


Hence why Porsche opened up the bonnet and fitted a scoop for the CGT....

The Monte turbo of 1980 had a CGT spec motor with 215bhp......just not the final CGT TMIC set up

The reason the replica in the Petrolicous feature has the original TMIC is its required to have FIA homologated/period mechanicals for the current rally entries. That car was driven by Barth / Kussmaul in recent years. The Petrolicious car was in Switzerland. Its now in the UK.
_________________
1980 931 - forged pistons, Piper cam, K27/26 3257 6.10 hybrid turbo, 951 FMIC, custom intake, Mittelmotor dizzy & cam pulley, H&S exhaust, GAZ Gold, Fuch'ed, Quaife
Now www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=34690
Then www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=31252
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bureau13  



Joined: 07 Sep 2017
Posts: 276
Location: South Florida

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 931 Monte Carlo Rally Car Reply with quote

Ahh, that makes sense. I hadn't thought of it as an early CGT.

Carrera RSR wrote:
bureau13 wrote:
If you scroll down to the engine bay pics, there is what appears to be a top-mount intercooler with a long duct leading down to the nose panel vents? At least that's the best I can guess. There's no CGT hood scoop, just the standard 931 NACA duct that is not positioned over the IC. Anyone know anything about this setup? I wouldn't think it's getting a lot of airflow but I could be wrong.


Hence why Porsche opened up the bonnet and fitted a scoop for the CGT....

The Monte turbo of 1980 had a CGT spec motor with 215bhp......just not the final CGT TMIC set up

The reason the replica in the Petrolicous feature has the original TMIC is its required to have FIA homologated/period mechanicals for the current rally entries. That car was driven by Barth / Kussmaul in recent years. The Petrolicious car was in Switzerland. Its now in the UK.

_________________
-----------------------------------------
1982 931
1986.5 Silver 928S
2007 Hummer H3 (Daily Driver)

Past lives (I miss them all):
2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1987 RX-7 Turbo II (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harm  



Joined: 02 Apr 2009
Posts: 1357
Location: Holland

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 931 Monte Carlo Rally Car Reply with quote

bureau13 wrote:
I've become obsesses with the look of this car, more even than the Carrera GT. The article says they made a mold of the flares...anyone know if they're commercially available?


These point in the right directionů
https://www.f-s-h.com/924-Monte-Carlo_1

It looks like the curved front end was cut off for the updated look:
The early MC 1979 images show the longer corner curve on the rally car.

Cheers,
Harm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bureau13  



Joined: 07 Sep 2017
Posts: 276
Location: South Florida

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 931 Monte Carlo Rally Car Reply with quote

Good find! You're right about the front, I think. I had not noticed the difference in the photos until you pointed it out.

Harm wrote:
bureau13 wrote:
I've become obsesses with the look of this car, more even than the Carrera GT. The article says they made a mold of the flares...anyone know if they're commercially available?


These point in the right directionů
https://www.f-s-h.com/924-Monte-Carlo_1

It looks like the curved front end was cut off for the updated look:
The early MC 1979 images show the longer corner curve on the rally car.

Cheers,
Harm.

_________________
-----------------------------------------
1982 931
1986.5 Silver 928S
2007 Hummer H3 (Daily Driver)

Past lives (I miss them all):
2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1987 RX-7 Turbo II (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
924-76  



Joined: 05 Jun 2006
Posts: 1412
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!
Question: where is the wastegate dumping? Atmosphere screamer?
_________________
1976 924 N/A ROW SOLD
1980 931S
1981 931 Part car RIP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group