Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

931 Gas Mileage???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: 931 Gas Mileage??? Reply with quote

Ok, just got an idea of what my gas mileage is - my odometer is still broken.

Using my phone to track my mileage, I did a short test of 115 miles intentionally trying to stay out of the turbo. A disappointing 17.5 mpg.

I noticed that when I was enjoying the turbo, my mileage had to be horrible. Thus my test.

So what is the norm here for the 931 crowd? ok, not a crowd. What is normal for trying to keep out of the turbo? And what is normal when using the turbo about half the time?

Last question: HOW do I keep from it going into turbo mode? I try to accelerate slowly and shift at 3,000rpm. Any tips?

On the other side, what is it that kicks in the turbo? It doesn't kick in to about 3,500 rpm, right?

TIA,

GN
'87 944 S, looks & runs like new - sold my sweet 931; '76 914 2.0 mostly restored; 2011 Porsche Cayman S in Meteor Grey, 3.4L, Softronics ECU tune 355+hp , PDK w/Sport Chrono. Got this thing for Porsche's.......
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 931 Gas Mileage??? Reply with quote

Gatornapper wrote:

Using my phone to track my mileage, I did a short test of 115 miles intentionally trying to stay out of the turbo. A disappointing 17.5 mpg.

I noticed that when I was enjoying the turbo, my mileage had to be horrible. Thus my test.

So what is the norm here for the 931 crowd? ok, not a crowd. What is normal for trying to keep out of the turbo? And what is normal when using the turbo about half the time?

Last question: HOW do I keep from it going into turbo mode? I try to accelerate slowly and shift at 3,000rpm. Any tips?

On the other side, what is it that kicks in the turbo? It doesn't kick in to about 3,500 rpm, right?

TIA,

GN

I've never tracked my MPG but I'm sure it's not good. I'll put in 5-8 gallons at a time and go driving. I usually need to buy gas after 2 or 3 drives. But I'm usually trying to be on boost as much as possible.

I'd recommend getting a boost gauge if you really want to know. I can hear the turbo spooling up but it doesn't seem to be above 0 psi until after 2500 rpm or so. On the highway in 5th gear there is some boost with a touch of the throttle unless coasting.

I'm also using a manual boost controller set to 12-14psi, so that could make a difference too.

As I'm winding out 2nd and 3rd gear I have to confess I'm not worried about MPGs. And at the upper reaches of the RPMs I'm not looking at the gauges. lol.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong car for any thoughts on good gas mileage……if you’re considering this, buy a Prius

At best I get 20 UK mpg’s so that’s 250 miles at the very best out of a 50l tank. Usually far less on both counts. If it ain’t boosting, it ain’t worth driving.
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 931 Gas Mileage??? Reply with quote

chuck21401 wrote:
Gatornapper wrote:

TIA,

GN

I've never tracked my MPG but I'm sure it's not good. I'll put in 5-8 gallons at a time and go driving. I usually need to buy gas after 2 or 3 drives. But I'm usually trying to be on boost as much as possible.

DITTO

I'd recommend getting a boost gauge if you really want to know. I can hear the turbo spooling up but it doesn't seem to be above 0 psi until after 2500 rpm or so. On the highway in 5th gear there is some boost with a touch of the throttle unless coasting.

In the plans. Just don't know when.

I'm also using a manual boost controller set to 12-14psi, so that could make a difference too.

ALSO In the plans. Just don't know when.

As I'm winding out 2nd and 3rd gear I have to confess I'm not worried about MPGs. And at the upper reaches of the RPMs I'm not looking at the gauges. lol.

DITTO!
'87 944 S, looks & runs like new - sold my sweet 931; '76 914 2.0 mostly restored; 2011 Porsche Cayman S in Meteor Grey, 3.4L, Softronics ECU tune 355+hp , PDK w/Sport Chrono. Got this thing for Porsche's.......
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my goal - it's the right car for driving fun! Only new gas prices are going to make it a lot more expensive.

I was sensing that when I was enjoying the turbo, it was in the 10 mpg range - slurping gas fast.

Just wanted to know what a baseline was and if there was some adjustment I needed to make to something.

Thanks!

GN

Carrera RSR wrote:
Wrong car for any thoughts on good gas mileage……if you’re considering this, buy a Prius

At best I get 20 UK mpg’s so that’s 250 miles at the very best out of a 50l tank. Usually far less on both counts. If it ain’t boosting, it ain’t worth driving.

Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all use Regular gas or Premium?

I've been using Premium.

Can I use regular? I didn't know if the boost from the turbo required it - have seen nothing in manual or on car about needing premium........

GN
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatornapper wrote:
You all use Regular gas or Premium?

I've been using Premium.

Can I use regular? I didn't know if the boost from the turbo required it - have seen nothing in manual or on car about needing premium........

GN

You need the best RON you can get, so yes, premium. You think you have gas price issues……we’re paying near £2 per litre for premium, double your US prices
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt I was getting excellent gas mileage highway flying but it was super thirsty being used as a DD for short errands..

Thing would just DRINK fuel boosting around town but high speed cruise all day long quite efficiently..
Cedric  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF your fuelling is of it doesnt matter how you drive, but yours should be lambda controlled on part load since its a us car, if it still works.

Normallt these cars (and many turbo cars, especially older ones) enrich the mixture quite alot at high load, hence its a good idea to noot boost it. They should be pretty good at just cruising, but i havent done that type of driving in any prolonged period of time in many years. But fast highway driving was around 25mpg if i remember correctly, though mine is euro s2 with 8,5CR, the compression ratio makes a significant different at part load fuel efficiency. According to the manual the euro s2 should do 27.4MPG at 74.5miles/hour, that would need the standard s2 turbo though, it definitely got a bit worse when i went up a size. I cant find any official numbers for the US version, it should be a bit worse though.

On track its about 3l/100km or 7.8MPG, will be nice now when fuel is at 2.2euro/litre

Do you have any vacuum leaks? clogged cat? Hows the status on the fuelling?
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to get around 29mpg on my 951 bumpered 924 turbo S2 cruising around 75mph. My S1 931 did similarly, a bit worse due to worse aero...maybe 26?

My supercharged 924 does around 23mpg but the driving conditions are different now, i mainly did 85 on highways and i did a lot of mountain climbs with it...also..shorter gears of the NA, not as good aero and obviously the supercharger make up the difference...and except maybe carbs, there is no worse setup for mileage than short gears and supercharged.
Your 17.5 mpg result is clearly pointing that there is something wrong with your car.

EDIT fuel price here is:
1.8 eur / liter
that is 2.7AUD / liter or 7.3 USD / US gallon

Last edited by morghen on Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
peterld  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to Morghen above.

ROW S2 with 6.10 turbo and 8.5 CR easily achieved 30+ mpg cruising at 110kph

Race car with hybrid turbo/7.5CR/enriched fuelling barely achieves 8mpg.

Fuel prices in Oz: 98 RON $2.89 litre/94 RON E10 $2.29 litre
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny to see the Turbos getting such mileage on track; with our old NA 924 (relatively mild engine build) we only get about 7mpg on track!

OTOH, my prototype, which is unbelievably faster, gets around 11-12mpg on track with it's little 1.0L GSXR motor!

Of course, while the 924 NA runs on ordinary 93 octane pump gas (R+M/2 method for the rest of the world!), at approaching $5/gal here in MI I think, the Gixxer needs to be fed a diet of 100 octane race gas, which was $10 USD/gal last summer when gas was cheap!

It's all relative...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

924RACR wrote:
Funny to see the Turbos getting such mileage on track; with our old NA 924 (relatively mild engine build) we only get about 7mpg on track!

OTOH, my prototype, which is unbelievably faster, gets around 11-12mpg on track with it's little 1.0L GSXR motor!

Of course, while the 924 NA runs on ordinary 93 octane pump gas (R+M/2 method for the rest of the world!), at approaching $5/gal here in MI I think, the Gixxer needs to be fed a diet of 100 octane race gas, which was $10 USD/gal last summer when gas was cheap!

It's all relative...

I only measured my n/a once, and it was around 1.7 something l/100km, around 13.8mpg. Your tracks might be faster though with more time spent wot and less time spent cornering. The GT86 though was very good on fuel onnthe track, still had lots of fuel left after a day on track, even though the tank is smaller, where i normally need to fill up the 931 with cans after the same runtime

10usd per gallon of race gas! We are around the 10 mark here, for normal fill ups, at least it calmed down a bit now with the pieces. But thankfully i don't have to drive any long distances to work, and the main car runs mostly on electrons.
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6-8 MPG has been the norm for all my race cars (at 12.8 CO), the difference probably being better aero on some body shapes (356, 911, 924, 2002, Benz, VW).
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all......my local driving is 50/50 hwy/suburbs.

Gonna do a highway trip tomorrow and will check hwy mileage.

After that I'll do a boosty run in the twisties where I live and check that.

As far as I know no vacuum leaks, all Haynes tests of CIS were spot on, engine could not run better it seems to me. Injectors are new. Purrs at idle, starts instantly regardless of ambient temp, turbo kicks in nicely around 3k rpm. A hoot to drive tho it doesn't corner as flat as my '76 914 which has no sway bars. Gonna replace sway bar bushings soon with hi-perform ones.

GN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: