Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Steering Hangup - Can't Turn Right

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nrwheele  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Steering Hangup - Can't Turn Right Reply with quote

I have been having a steering issue that has been driving me crazy ever since I purchased my '81 924 NA a little over a year ago. She drives perfectly fine going straight and going to the left, but the moment you start turning right, it feels like you are going over a rumble strip. I've spent tons of time underneath and still cannot figure out for the life of me what is wrong; I was hoping someone here might have had a similar issue and may be able to shed some light on it for! (I'd like to drive her properly before the summer is over )

What I have done so far:

- New wheel bearings
- New Tie Rod Ends
- New Ball Joints
- 4 Wheel Alignment
- Disassembled, cleaned, re-greased the rack - everything looked perfect inside
- New Tires - 180/70 R14s - I was afraid the original tires might've be hitting the body work, but that doesn't seem to be the case
- New rotors
- Oiled the steering column bearing, the joint where it meets the rack, the joints of the struts, pretty much anywhere I figured a little oil would be beneficial
- Tie Rods are nice and straight, shop didn't notice anything odd during alignment, but they didn't drive it around either

Some of the symptoms:
- Doesn't appear at speeds lower than 10 MPH
- Only appears when my foot is on the gas pedal - i.e. turning right at a stop, accelerating around a turn, etc. - I mention this because if I take my foot off the gas, and put in the clutch while turning, it vanishes
- Happens while reversing to the right
- Becomes noticeable if the steering wheel goes anywhere right of dead center - for example, if I'm turning hard left, bringing it back to the center does not display the symptoms
- Vibrations/Hangup feels like it's coming from almost in front of the driver, but slightly more to the right would probably be a better description

I've seen at least one other post where someone had the exact same problem, but it doesn't look like an answer was ever given - if someone could help point me in the right direction, I would very greatly appreciate it!
TJC  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to take a quick stab in the dark here.
Could be something "structural", motor mounts, cracked frame or subframe, strut housing/upper mount issue.
Steering column mounting under dash.

Really don't know, but curious. How many miles on the car?
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
nrwheele  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car has about 86,000 original miles on it; which isn't particularly low, but certainly not as many as I've seen on some 924s

I will definitely consider looking into the struts though; most of the parts on my car are still originals, so I'm sure they have had a long life. I've examined the frame many times are didn't see any sign of cracking, but you never know

When I got it on the lift this past week, I shot a bunch of oil around all the points of motion on the struts, but it still didn't move as smoothly as I thought it should be.

Much thanks for the advice!
Ozzie  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check rear CV's
Engineer of Electro/Mechanical Systems Maintenance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: