Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Turn isgnals and headlights...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: Turn isgnals and headlights... Reply with quote

Quit working..???...

The headlights still pop up but the lights don't turn on anymore..
The turn signals light up the direction indicators on the dash solid and don't flash..

Ugh..
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hazzards flash at all 4 corners.. Turn signals do nothing except light the light on the dash..
Running lights work, brake lights work, no reverse lights either..

I think I remember all of this stuff working previously.

I'm not much of a turn signals kind of guy.. Anyone experience these problems and have any clues?
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if they worked before its just some bad contact.
Clean the fuses and their stands, grease them up so they dont develop corrosion anymore.
K-Roll931  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem for a while before taking mine into be repainted, and I wish I knew what fixed it because now all of my lights work, but the reverse light only works when it wants to, and my hazards haven't worked in two years it seems(hopefully won't need them!). My test drive today also showed me that my turn signals cancel when completing a turn for the first time ever! Strange cars, these.

At this point, I've replaced every bulb, fuse, and relay, so something must've worked.

P.S. Haven't forgotten about the rear hatch carpet. Finally got around to cleaning out the garage so I'll pull them both out and send you pics later today.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my headlights to work for a couple minutes today and the bright/dim relay thing was going tick tick but then they stopped again and no tick tick...
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine did that, just cleaned the fuses.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid headlight high/low switcher relay prong that goes into the main power hole won't make a good contact to save my life..

Everything seems to work but it's like the female spades in my fuse/relay panel mckjigger are womped out

I get power in the hole with my testlight but sticking the relay in there doesn't send power up the relay prong no matter what I try..
Sticking some regular male spades into the fuse panel naked and then touching the relay to them makes it work..

Maybe I'll try stuffing the hole with some fine stranded copper wire to take up space and touch stuff to make contact..

Thought about strip-cleaning the whole panel but it doesn't look fun..

Kinda need turn signals too.. I can see it now, "Sorry officer, they just quit flashin"..
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the headlights working correctly finally but I broke the headlight switch trim piece so I'll need to find one eventually..

Sure hope the turn signal problem isn't in the turn signal stalk switch part because that's a royal pain to get into.. It lights the light on the dash so the stalk lever must be doing something..
D Hook  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:
Got the headlights working correctly finally but I broke the headlight switch trim piece so I'll need to find one eventually..

Sure hope the turn signal problem isn't in the turn signal stalk switch part because that's a royal pain to get into.. It lights the light on the dash so the stalk lever must be doing something..

What color? I think I have a brown one laying around if you need it.

Also, sometimes the connectors on the back of the fuse panel get pushed out of place when you're putting in the relay. Maybe reach behind the panel and check that the female spade connectors are seated properly? One of them might be pushed too far back for the male spade to connect to. Had that problem with my A/C relay once.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah brown..

I have a relay that flashes for the hazzard lights but I'm thinking it has a different flasher relay for the regular signals?

I need to find my haynes manual or something.. Tried searching here but haven't found much..
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the turn signals wiring page in my haynes bookmarked and have spent some time trying to understand it but I suck and am not getting anywhere..

I went through the hazzards switch just now and everything is great and all 4 lights flash with the hazzard switch as they are supposed to including the dash indicator light..

For the flasher relay, it only has 3 pins.. Top pin, left pin, and bottom pin..
I see that with the hazzards off and the turn signal off it has power to the left pin but as soon as you turn the hazzard switch on or one of the turn signal directions on, the power goes away from the left pin..

But the bottom pin..
When both the hazzard switch and the turn signal switch are not on, the bottom pin does not have power..
However, when I turn the hazzard switch on it puts power to the bottom pin as it takes power off of the left pin, but the turn signal switch does not put power to the bottom pin like the hazzard switch does.

I am imagining that the turn signal switch should be putting power to the bottom relay pin like hazzard switch does, no?

The turn signal switch does light the dash indicator but doe not light any lights or flash..

I guess I'll stare at that wiring diagram some more..
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i turn my turn signal switch on and with the relay in I add power to its bottom pin my lights flash and the turn signal switch does put them from one side to another..

After doing that my turn signals worked for a minute, and then stopped again..

My turn signal switch is sending power to light the indicator so it is sending power somewhere unless that little light is on a grounding switch of some sort?
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I win!

It turns out this was one of those cases where I do get voltage but not enough amps to light up my test light..

I ended up getting voltage on that bottom pin all the time the key is on but no current..

It turned out to be the black/yellow wire that gets power with the ignition switch..

That blk/ylo wire gets nice power elsewhere but not on the back side of the hazzard switch, or at the flasher relay socket, so I jumped from good blk/ylo power to the poor blk/ylo power behind the hazzard relay and wallah, we have turn signals now!!

Cool, turn signals are nice to have sometimes..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: