Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Double strut springs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric P  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Double strut springs? Reply with quote

So last night I hit a pothole and blew out one of the "fancy" Monroe struts the previous owner of my car had installed. They sucked for the entire 12k miles they lasted, so no huge loss... I was planning on buying new Bilstein inserts, but came across these for a price I couldn't pass up:

What exactly am I looking at here? Are these name brand springs or something somebody cobbled together? Has anyone run double springs like this? If so, what was the result? Just a stiffer suspension?

I'm going to try them out and replace them with my stock springs if they're terrible. I won't know what inserts are in there until they arrive, so I took an gamble with the hopes that the spring setup isn't a total loss.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Eric
Eric P  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm absolutely amazed at how easy strut installation is on these cars. The old strut came out and the new one went in in about 10 min with no spring compressor. I ended up welding spring locating cups for the inner springs to the lower housing and the upper spring cap. They juuuust have a little tension on them with the strut is completely extended.

Here's a pic in case anyone wants to see:

I'll post up what (if any) difference this makes once I freshen up the rest of the suspension. Since I'm doing an alignment anyway, I'm installing poly bushings, tie rod ends, and ball joints at the same time. I'm also waiting on another strut bumper so I can install the other side. Hopefully that shows up soon so I can drive again.

I'd still love to know if anyone has any information on this spring setup!
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about them but they do look pretty cool!

Struts are really easy on this car, you can even take the nut off the top of the shock and jack the car up off the springs to disassemble the struts, or assemble them the opposite way by putting the springs on the shock and jacking the control arm up to get the shock through the top hat on the car, and never need a spring compressor..

Using a spring compressor on double springs might be a trick. I'd just use the car..
Eric P  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I had to weld the inner spring perch otherwise I could have done this without needing an alignment. The key was unbolting the front sway bar on both sides so the A arms could drop enough to remove the springs. At that point, the strut insert could have been removed without removing the lower housing, but I didn't feel comfortable with the inner springs just floating around in there like they were.

I ended up using a jack under the A arm to get the strut back through the upper mounts. It worked perfectly.

I guess it's a good thing that I needed an alignment anyway as it gave me a chance to replace the other parts that needed to be freshened up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: