Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Porsche 924 Racecar Build Thread (AAN Conversion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterld  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear........so sorry to see that......after so much work.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, that's a massive drag; we're just coming back from a similar angle (yet far less energetic) wall hit a few years back...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Brockoli  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow what a build!!! That is a lot of really good fabrication.

Did you use the 1978 chassis for the build? I think I read that....if so how tricky was converting the chassis to a hydraulic clutch? I have looked into this and it looks like all you really need is a clutch pedal assembly from a 944 including all of the return springs etc. Did you have to cut a hole on the firewall for the clutch master cylinder? Or is there already a hole in the firewall? I tried to look on my car but the rubber firewall insulation is still intact and covering the spot where the 944/931 master cylinder would be located.

Any other issues with converting to a hydraulic clutch? I see you have a custom push type throw out bearing too.

How is the pedal pressure? I find the 924 has a fairly heavy clutch pedal already and I assume that is because of the cable linkage.

25% of a '87 944 Chumpcar http://straightpipe.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2454

'79 924 Sebring Edition(Sitting)
Britain  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it took two month but I got the car all put back together and ran it in a Lucky Dog race this past weekend at Oregon Raceway Park. Another one of those...while I was there...builds as I took the time to make upgrades, lighten things up, and do things better than before.

To start off, here are a few additional pictures of suspension damage the car took when it hit the wall. The driver side strut and hub were both bent and the control arm had a small crack in it.

In addition, when the car hit the wall it spun around and smacked the rear as well. The wing upright got bent and the bumper shifted over.

After all of the bent sheet metal and stuff was removed...this is what was left to start building back.

Britain  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first step to rebuilding the car was to make it roll again. I took what I had learned from the first set of control arms and built another pair with more castor angle built in. This pair also have the angled back further back to avoid the tire making contact during extreme steering angles.

Here is an overlay from the previous revision. The ball joint is about 0.25" further forward.

All welded up.

And duplicated for the other side.

Also had to source another front spindle, weld on the ball joint extension and the tie-rod support.

Back to the chassis...the mount points from the front sub-frame got bent from the impact so I had to cut everything out, straighten the sheetmetal, and weld in new frame caps.

One key piece to everything I fabricate is that I do as much as I can on the waterjet specifically for instances like this where I have to something again. Here is one of many pile of parts cut on the waterjet that I was able to just weld back in place instead of spending time figuring out what I needed to make.

Britain  

Next order of business was to start putting bodywork back in place and laying tubes to mount everything back up. I got a pair set of fender sandblasted and an old hood/bumper sitting around to mock things up.

I sourced a really nice fiberglass hood and header panel from CCP Fabrication in Florida. Really impressed with these parts as they are well made.

Since this is a 924, some of the 924 specific parts are getting harded to find. For example, the front bumper. There was an early sand cast one that is quite heavy and there is a later one that is significantly lighter...but still quite heavy. Therefore, I took the spare bumper that had, filled in the holes and made a mold so I could make my own lightweight front bumper.

Britain  

Something that I have wanted to do for a while now is improve the airflow thru the intercooler. I like the packaging of the 951 intercooler core, just didn't like the abrupt 90 end tanks...so I cut them off and made my own.

This in turn required all new intercooler piping from the turbo and to the throttle body. It also allowed me to move the radiator a little further forward to improve clearances and allow for space to put in some ducting at a later date.

Here is the front end of the car with the sub-frame and intercooler in place.

Britain  

The radiator also got pretty destroyed in the crash so I got another Griffin radiator core and modified it to fit the needs of out system.

Here is the whole front sub-frame ready to mount back to the car.

You many have noticed the carbon fiber splitter attached to that sub-frame. Another one of those while I was there items, I decided to ditch the plywood splitter board and build one in carbon fiber. I started with a sheet of foam insulation from home depot and wrapped it/vacuum bagged it in a few layers of carbon fiber.

I hang the splitter I used some aluminum that also serve as part of the ducts for the radiator/intercooler.

Britain  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting close to the light at the end of the tunnel, finally got the new set of Ground Control front struts. While we were there...I had them add a sway bar tab to the strut body so I could design a new sway bar set-up. The car previously had a 30mm Weltmeister bar which attached to the control arms. This bar was really heavy and had to be stiff to overcome the horrible motion ratio of the stock pick-up point. I got some parts from Speedway engineering and was able to go to a bar that was significantly lighter and only 25% as stiff as it was attached directly to the strut body.

One of the last parts that needed to be completed was the inner fender liners. I tried to come up with something out of plastic but it didn't fit right. In the end I made a set in aluminum and will come back later and make them in carbon fiber/kevlar.

In the end, I had the car done about a day early. The alignment came out perfect, we ran it on the dyno to make sure everything was good and then hit the track this past weekend. Car ran good out of the trailer, setting fast time of the event and taking 1st overall on Sat and 2nd on Sunday.

Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work and end result
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrera RSR wrote:
Great work and end result

+1

I like that last picture
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful fab. Car sits high in pics. Are the springs soft enough to aero-lower at speed?
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
Britain  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is actually not sitting that low. The 17" Fuchs and the flares make it look like it is sitting a bit higher. Since it has to run on street tires, I don't run it very stiff so that is compliant which works best for street tires. In fact, before I made my own front suspension arms and raised the spindles with the ball-joint extension the control arm was level the ground.

Most people run these cars way to stiff and way to low for the suspension to work properly.

-Britain
peterld  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on a stupendous effort.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great that you got everything together after the crash, it looks really good!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: