Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Track Car Progress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Track Car Progress Reply with quote

Got the rear axle nuts torqued on the Dp, 933 semi clone today. After problems with other cars, this one was easy. Borrowed a 600 ft lb torque wrench(crane company) and just put chocks under the wheels(I don't even have a parking brake). One of those not really much, but feels like a lot. Of course one step forward one step back, I had to take the Kirkey seat out to make new brackets to relocate it.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last weeks saga. Last Sunday I started filling the 944 turbo radiator I had pressure tested and installed so that I could crank up the motor. Of course it started leaking water, the seals had gone bad. So I went and found the original brass radiator that came with the car. Monday to the radiator shop and then go looking for the parts to convert back as the turbo used all 1-1/2" hoses rather than the 1-1/4" of the 924. So on Friday the shop calls and the radiator is leaking so badly it is not worth repairing. 924 rads, not very available(Davis Radiator can make them), stock 944 and turbo radiators with plastic end caps are in the $400-600 range and quite available. Wizard in Michigan can do the turbo rad for about $580 and ebay has Chinese all aluminum ones for about $200 so that is what is on order, the reports I have found on them say they are OK. BTW most of the stock and replacement radiators apparently come from China also. Hopefully it will work.

'67 MG Midget Dp
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those rads from ebay. Build quality is pretty bad, obviously, but it seems to work well. If you have time pressure test it in a bath tub to find pin hole leaks before you put it on the car. Some have had issues with some pores in the welds. The fins are also super thin, they bend just by looking at them, be careful with the handling.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the bay rad. No issues here. It was 1/4 the price of a UK made custom fabrication. As Cedric says, check it before installing and protect it from any knocks
Brockoli  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought an aluminum radiator from Alibaba iirc for our chumpcar 944. The welds were surprisingly good. One of the main inlet or outlet pipes was slightly undersized compared to the original radiator so we bought an radiator hose adapter sleeve from JEGS/Summit/etc. so the factory hose fit. It was a bit tricky to install on the 944 and we ended up cutting some of the rad support for clearance however once it was in we realized that probably wasnt necessary. But for a racecar we didnt mind.

We have run around 80 hours on track which includes four 12 hour chumpcar races and have not had an issue. I think the radiator was around $350CAD shipped from China. I plan on buying one for my car once needed.

25% of a '87 944 Chumpcar http://straightpipe.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2454

'79 924 Sebring Edition(Sitting)
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the 944T radiator. It is turning out to be a bit interesting trying to fit it. The stock turbo rad fit without too much difficulty but can't say that about this one. The mounting points are not set up the same.

'67 MG Midget Dp
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I remember seeing this thread a while back and I have been thinking about picking up a 944 rad myself since the 924 seem to be hens teeth in decent shape. Maybe this will help you with the mounting as there are specific instructions to design offset brackets!

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=36438
Cedric  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there might be some similar pics from my car thread where I made some brackets to hold up my radiator (+FMIC in my cad). They looked similar to dans from the link.

The mounting on the rad itself is really strange, im not sure how it is supposed to work. I cut some screws to perfect length, and then carefully put in a nut between the radiator core and the radiator mounting bracket ( the one welded on the rad). It was very fiddly to get it in there, but it worked. Ideally I would want to weld some better brackets on the rad, but that will have to wait for another day.
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it in there.basically I used the mounting points like Cedric did-quite fiddly- and bolted a 1/8"x2" aluminum bar to the bottom and made some similar tabs on the ends on top. I then offset all the holes into my new material. Somehow, not due to any prior planning they fit my existing brackets. It all went in quite well. The turbo radiator has 1-1/2" hoses, so the bottom hose is two 924 bottom hoses spliced together with a Pegasus aluminum connector and a Gates heat shrink seal, the top hose is a real combo with a temp gage adapter and some 924 pieces and miscellaneous parts I found by scrounging the local flaps stock.

Now back to the alignment and installing a Firecharger fire supression system.

'67 MG Midget Dp
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the monster running yesterday. Cranked up immediately, the wonders of a MSD multi-spark ignition I guess. With the MSD you have to guess at the static timing as there is now power to it until it tries to start. It also has old, home rebuilt Weber 45's so no idea of what the jetting should be although it did change the idle jets to some leaner high altitude ones. So it is running quite rough, I'll work on the timing first. First I'll find out if my timing light works with the MSD as many won't, mine is an old one so might well as it is not a modern sophisticated one. I had leaks in the fuel system in 3 places, oil system in 2 and water in one. The wonders of all that expensive AN hose and fittings, down to one oil seep at the oil cooler bypass now. I didn't bother with a cooling fan as it is any easy add on so I have to watch the water temps. It is nice to have good Autometer guages. Also finished the alignment, but that is another whole story.

'67 MG Midget Dp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: