Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Disconnecting stuck CV axle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gml  

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Disconnecting stuck CV axle Reply with quote

hey all, first time guy here. I brought my 1982 924 home last weekend. Starting on the job of removing the old fuel tank. I'm at the step now of disconnecting the CV axle on the transmission side in preparation for disconnecting/dropping the transaxle.

The CV axle is stuck. Seems like it just disconnects smoothly for other people on YouTube. Can someone help out with some tips? There's nothing to pry on since it seems to kind of fit like a sleeve.

Picture attached with parts labelled. It seems like part 2 needs to slide out of part 1, but that seal is solid. I scraped it pretty clean but I'm trying to take care not to damage anything. Still seems like there's a solid rust seal potentially. I also have some penetrating fluid but I haven't used anything since I'm not sure anything should enter and contaminate the CV joint. I've got various prybars, a hammer, and a torch ... what do you all recommend?

https://imgur.com/a/lPGEC8r
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gently tap part two with a heavy hammer while rotating it ( so you're tapping all the way around) and it will drop out.
gml  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I have to buy a bigger hammer. Will any rubber mallet work or should I get something like a copper hammer, a dead blow hammer, or something else?
gml  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a 1.5 lb rubber mallet and it worked like a charm. Thanks!
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on landing a 924 and jumping right in!! Glad you got your axle unstuck. You were the one who posted about the very early car which sparked your interest right? By "1982" I take it you ended up with a different one.

Again, welcome!

If you're dropping fuel tank note there are two fuel pumps in the 924 but most folks replace the in-tank pump with a screen, as the in-tank pump is a) very rare and b) very expensive.

I'm excited for you to work on and enjoy your car! These cars are the perfect vintage to work on, IMO. Most everything is pretty simple and well engineered.

As you get more into it you'll doubtless find more of these "thing is stuck" incidents... if you've disconnected all fasteners and something mechanical is stuck, chances are some penetrating fluid, heat, and/or a big hammer will be your friends. Trips me up to this day.. Enjoy the journey!
gml  

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much jacobroufa! Yep, that's me, I ended up with a 1982 model, I posted some pics in the previous thread

I have been really enjoying diving into the fuel tank removal. I'm lucky I can afford all the tools I need as they are what makes these jobs a lot easier I imagine. But my issue is usually questions like "should I hit this part with a torch", "should I blast it with penetrating fluid", or "how hard can I bang on this part with a hammer" because I can come up with (probably wrong) reasons why the heat/pressure/lube/whatever could damage the part.

Thanks a million for that fuel tank screen recommendation! I will have to look into that a bit more. I am getting my replacement fuel tank professionally cleaned/flushed right now. I was hoping to re-use as many components from the existing tank as possible and only replace stuff that looked bad. Is that a dumb idea? Any parts I should just order now and replace no matter what?
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gml wrote:
Any parts I should just order now and replace no matter what?

All the vacuum lines like the little one to your fuel distributor..
Check the pliability of your intake rubber boots, radiator hoses, everything rubber..
gml  

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fasteddie. Every time I see something rubber I test its pliability. Everything has seemed fine so far. The car had its fuel system redone (all except the tank apparently...) so there's a lot of fresh hose under the car.

For replacements I was more wondering fuel tank related since I'll be down there. For example the screen instead of the in-tank pump. Once I get the new tank in and get the car running I'll be carefully inspecting it and seeing what needs to be done.

But I realize vacuum lines are a big thing to get done quick. I am embarrassed to ask, but I have not found a guide that helps me make sense of it all. Without understanding vacuum lines fully I'm reading lots of posts here about it but there are a lot of old broken web links to hoses, missing photos, and unclear how to replace them. And the Lindsey racing hoses are not 924 compatible as far as I can see. Honestly don't know where to get started here! Any help much appreciated.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just replace them one at a time exactly where they were before..
gml  

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any tips on where to obtain the silicon hose? Is the Lindsey Racing 944 kit suitable? https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Porsche/LRA-944-VAC.html
peterld  

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virtually nothing from the 944 2.5 motor translates over to the earlier 924 2.0 motor. The 2.0 motor is not supported by the trade as such, however most, if not all, hoses can be cobbled up from measuring your existing hoses and checking carefully through interweb listings from major silicone hose suppliers.

I'm sure there are many in the States. Here in OZ we tend to use ASH in the UK, as USA suppliers are often reluctant to ship Downunder.

Just keep them all one colour, for aesthetic reasons; and it will keep the keyboard warriors off your back.
gml  

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, got a few questions:

1. Vacuum lines.

over here ideola wrote:
Let me see what I ordered for my 81 NA...

...the archives say 10 feet of 10mm and 10 feet of 4mm...

Is that inner diameter or outer diameter? Assuming inner. Here's an amazon link for 4mm ID and 10mm ID hose. Should I go ahead and grab this? Comes with clamps too. Edit: One reviewer said it isn't too strong under vacuum though, they used it for RV power brakes. I will keep looking.

2. What's this missing hose? https://imgur.com/a/kPoOTJI
I see sort of under the head there's a metal pipe (which is dented unfortunately), I assume there was once a hose bridging these two. Is it important to get that fixed ASAP?
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The missing hose there is a flex hose for alternator cooling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: