Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Got a new car, a GTI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldwolf  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:58 am    Post subject: Got a new car, a GTI Reply with quote

Not specifically 924 related, but I think these cars were born and conceived around the same time. The histories are definitely linked. I wanted an everyday Porsche but not in the budget. I think this is the closest I could get.

Maybe what the 924 should have become, could you imagine how many Porsche could have sold?

This thing is pretty quick.

There is a shop in Atlanta that transplants the Audi 1.8 Turbo engines into 924's and 944's. Not saying that is the best swap, but it would be fun.

The GTI has the 2.0 liter, 220HP stock.

Shadows on the seats, the pic looks bad, but they are clean.
1981 Weissach Edition #179
Savethe924.com
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ! My buddy just bought an R version. That thing is pretty quick with the launch control on.

Lee
2008 GS500
1996 Dodge Caravan (DJV)
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very tunable, I drove a chipped version that felt like it was up into the 270-280 range. Had a bigger intercooler as well, as I recall.

• Red (1987 924S) - Pro44/Spec944
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks cool!
I like the color, the styling ans especially the wheels.. Looks like it has nice big breaks (red)..
The steering wheel is sweet with the chrome and the red stitching.
I like the tarten-esque pattern too..

It looks like a great car.
Much better (more sporty) than what most normies would buy, but it's not quite me..

It's too new for me. Too much depreciation, too expensive to pay cash for so I would lose even more money on the loan, and a little too autoFWD.

But hey, you probably have a warranty so that is worth something, but I prefer to buy them broken and fix them anyway so I'm immediately right-side-up on them if I can..

You probably won't have to work on it at all and that is a major bonus if you don't want to or can't tinker with it all the time and automatic might be what's right for you. Maybe you have another driver to think about that doesn't drive stick, or a daily drive where you prefer an auto.
It's 2019 and most everything practical is fwd auto..

I'm sure it's a heck of a lot more fun to dive, better looking, and faster than my X5, but I bought that for some not-me reasons too, so we all have our compromises..

I/we drive in/through some serious snow regularly, not that your VW couldn't hack it, but it would require more driver skill, bravery, and effort that she wouldn't prefer..
That and she wanted it for the crash safety and airbags, and looks, and it's an automatic too because manuals are so rare, much less a good buy on a manual.
I got it decently cheap and with pretty low miles because it had a pretty scary shifting issue that I thought I might be able to solve with my laptop so I took quite a gamble on possibly having to put a trans in it.. I was indeed able to fix it perfectly with the laptop. It was/is clean, the right colors, and the right engine.
Other than that it got a new MAF, wheels/tires, some new suspension stuff, and will always continuously need more new suspension stuff until the end of time.

I think you did darn well getting maximum sportiness in there while compromising for the real world.

One of my best friends has a newer jetta 6cyl auto that he has had for like 5 years and beaten the crap out of..
I think he got it somewhere around 100k and it now has like 240k and still going, but it is sitting with a bent rear trailing arm right now until spring because it got very stuck and I guess they tried pulling it out by the wheel so I'll be fixing that soon.
He has lost probably $13-15k on the car by now because he paid a bit too much for it and got it on some terrible bad credit financing thing, and it will never start going back up in the future, and ragged it out..

The car has stood up pretty well though. He drives all over the place all the time racking up huge miles, puts it through hell in the winter, drives like a maniac regularly takeing it up to speeds I will not say, takes his dogs in it, gives it quite a rough life and it has stood up to the abuse better than I expected it to so it is a pretty solid car.
I think it has also done quite well as far as rust. Comparatively it has gotten a lot less rust than some other cars for sure.. The interior has stood up better than average despite the dogs too..
Overall it's been a more than decent car so yours should be too. Decently fast too..

Watch when you do the breaks on that car you might have the calipers like his where you have to turn the piston as you push it back into the caliper to fit new pads. They don't just press in you have to spin them at the same time..
Goldwolf  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't buy new cars either. This one is a 2015, but it does have a 2 year bumper to bumper from VW.

Auto is a double clutch designed by Porsche 😁.

I drive to Atlanta, so the manual would have been torture some days.

Old car was. 99 Accord my wife bought new.
Savethe924.com
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldwolf wrote:

Auto is a double clutch designed by Porsche 😁.

Well heck yeah that should be real good then if its a real double clutch box, sweet!
Very nice upgrade you got yourself there from the accord..
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the buy! The modern GTI is a really nice car with a pretty good smile factor and materials & amenities that put it at the top of it's class. Shame about the DSG though.. Beats the auto in my daily though

I'm with Eddie on this one...
Fasteddie313 wrote:
I like the tarten-esque pattern too..

1981 Porsche 924 Weissach
1981 VW Vanagon Westfalia
1990 Audi V8 Quattro
2008 VW Passat VR6 4Motion Estate
Goldwolf  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys for the comments.

The DSG auto shifts faster than the manual, but driving conditions warranted the auto.

The "stage 1" tune brings it to 290hp, no other mods needed. It's nuts really.

I love the plaid seats
Savethe924.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: