Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Cupronickle Brake Line Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Cupronickle Brake Line Advice Reply with quote

Since I need to replace the brake lines on Sabine with a set from a 944, to accommodate the 951 big black brakes I have I was thinking of using some cupronickle line and forming them myself.

Now, I do have a full set from a 944 but they are almost as old as Sabine and who knows what the insides look like. After having a brake line burst on Olive on the highway in Denver (scary as F*** incident that was) I really like the idea of 'new' and trustworthy....

Has anyone here done this or have any experience or tips ?

Me
1996 Ford E-350 ex-FedEx Van
2014 Mazda CX-5 (Kinderwagon)
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my track car with it. It bends easily and is quite legal. Getting the bubble flare ends to work takes a bit of practice. I got a flaring tool from Eastwood, I think about $125 and it works quite well. Don't even bother trying to use the little cheap flaring tools for bubble flares it is just an exercise in frustration. I used about 30-35' of 3/16" line it is so close to the metric size it is interchangeable(if I recall right about .0004" different). I also threw away a couple of lines that didn't work so have some extra. Also just buy all new fittings, 10 end pieces and one Tee, available at any FLAPS. Look at utube and follow the directions for making the flares as tube end preparation is very important.

Trying to route it like the factory will probably be the most trying part as with a track only car it is a very simple layout.

I might be able to send you my flaring tool as long as it doesn't interfere with getting my car running which hopefully will be April.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, that is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I was looking to get 2x 25' rolls of the 3/16" and was going to get new fittings as well, they are cheap.

If you want to lend me your tool I would greatly appreciate it and obviously cover any shipping charges. When you get a chance please let me know.

Leigh
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
Brockoli  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We replaced all the brake lines on our 944 chumpcar with pre-made Cupronickle lines from canadian tire. The overall lengths were not exactly the same as stock but a couple extra bends took up the slack. The nice thing with the premade lines is that you dont have to worry about making the flared ends. I bought three princess auto (PA) flaring tools and they kept breaking. I know PA tools arent great but I didnt want to spend the $$$ on a flare tool that I doubt I would ever use again. The cheap brake line bender from PA worked great to make nice smooth radius bends. I highly recommend it for the $8 it cost. For a track car it turned out really good but not exactly the same as stock.

We probably have some pics in our build thread that is in my signature...

25% of a '87 944 Chumpcar http://straightpipe.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2454

'79 924 Sebring Edition(Sitting)
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Broc. I bought the line, new ends and a straightening device from Car Builder Solutions in the UK. Shipped today so I should see it all next week. With shipping it turned out to be about the same price as buying here but they had some unique things I wanted so I call it a push.

A Board member is lending me his professional flare tool so that's awesome and I will go to PA and grab a cheap-o bender this week. Then....951 big brakes on the rear of Sabine !

Cheers all,
Leigh
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunch of nice extra brake line in 10mmx1mm bubble flare off German cars accumulated to eventually one day change my brakes to F/R split from the OEM diagonal split and install the incabin adjustable prop valve (wilwood 260-12627 in 10mmX1mm bubble flare) I aquired.

I looked at the brake lines and thought that I could leave much of the original lines and just change their connections around to accomplish the split change.

Their is already a Tee there by the rear brake lines and I thought that I could take the one side off that goes to the front, cut nut and flare the other rear brake line there next to the Tee and connect both rear lines to the Tee right there pretty easily..

Then I would only need to make make a brake line to go from the MC to the prop valve on the interior center console, and then from the prop valve to the Tee down there for the rear lines.

For the front lines IIRC one line would have been usable as is and for the other I would make a short section of line to go from the MC to the line I just took of of the Tee under the car. Maybe rebending that line from under the car more toward up the firewall and closer to the MC and adding to its length with a coupler and more line..

One day.. It will be sweet..
Still need to pick up some 4 lug 924 front calipers some day though to complete the package..

I still haven't picked up a flare tool though because when I need lines flared I just take them up to the only auto parts store within reasonable distance of me and make them earn back some of the price gouging they get off of me by having them flare my lines for me for free..

They have a very nice tool, won't let it leave the store, but will make whatever lines I want on the spot even if I didn't buy the pieces there..

But I need to do that one under the car while it's still on the car so need to figure something out for that..

MikeJinCO wrote:

Trying to route it like the factory will probably be the most trying part as with a track only car it is a very simple layout.

This is why I want to use as much of the original lines as I can and just add to them or modify them, the least that I can, to accomplish the split change and prop valve plumbing instead of running ALL new lines

I can do some stuff but I can't do as good a job as the factory nicely packaging and bending up all of those lines. No way..
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought 50' of the line and all new fittings, should be here next week. As well I bought a 'tubing straightener'. This handy little device makes coiled line dead straight with a simple pull thru. Should be easy-peasy to make all new lines in a day. New lines, new fittings, new SS flex hoses. Also have new brake line 'holder' pieces from Porsche so when I remove the brittle old one with the original lines I can replace them with new supple holders. Should be pretty slick me thinks.

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/brake-pipe-straightener-tool316

Wham-Bam ! (thank you Ma'am)

Lea
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look like a pretty cool gadget to play with and sounds like you have what you need in line to do a great job..
safe  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenodog wrote:
I bought 50' of the line and all new fittings, should be here next week. As well I bought a 'tubing straightener'. This handy little device makes coiled line dead straight with a simple pull thru. Should be easy-peasy to make all new lines in a day. New lines, new fittings, new SS flex hoses. Also have new brake line 'holder' pieces from Porsche so when I remove the brittle old one with the original lines I can replace them with new supple holders. Should be pretty slick me thinks.

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/brake-pipe-straightener-tool316

Wham-Bam ! (thank you Ma'am)

Lea

Got to get me one of those!
I replaces all my brakelines last year on my 924 with copper lines and a cheep handheld flare tool.
Later I also replaced all the fuel lines with copper tubing...
MikesCoupeGT  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at this thread, I am thinking I may need to get me some of this Cupronickle brake line for my 944 build. I was going to do the fuel line replacement for the fuel lines, any one know if this would work for fuel lines as well? I have a current stop gap of high pressure rubber line connecting to replace a part that was leaking.

Thanks.
'83 944
''19 Elantra GT N-Line
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the line, fittings, straightner and a nice little grommet pack in the mail yesterday. I will start planning the lines this weekend and get going next week. Need to get these in asap so I can swap out the rear trailing arms for aluminum units and clamp on the Brembos...

Me
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: