Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Sunroof Conversion to Manual From Electric

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJC  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:34 am    Post subject: Sunroof Conversion to Manual From Electric Reply with quote

Does anyone know what may be involved in converting the electric sunroof operation to the early manual style?
What parts would be required and are they readily available?
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
edredas  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need the manual latches and the latch striker plate that goes on the body where the lifting arms are. Remove the screws that hold the parts on the roof and the manual latches screw directly one. As for the body, just remove the arm housing then and screw the plates on. Without the plates the roof won't be held closed snugly... that said, the hardest part is removing the bulky cover behind the sunroof and not ripping the headliner. Cars with manual roofs didn't have that so you won't be needing that cover anymore.

Good Luck!
'87 924S -Red, 300hp 951 swap
'87 924S -Red, Project Car
'88 924S -Red, Daily Driver
TJC  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edredas wrote:
You just need the manual latches and the latch striker plate that goes on the body where the lifting arms are. Remove the screws that hold the parts on the roof and the manual latches screw directly one. As for the body, just remove the arm housing then and screw the plates on. Without the plates the roof won't be held closed snugly... that said, the hardest part is removing the bulky cover behind the sunroof and not ripping the headliner. Cars with manual roofs didn't have that so you won't be needing that cover anymore.

Good Luck!

Seems easy enough! I already have the plastic roof panel removed because I was going to repair the "electric" system that's already there. The drive cable has completely reversed into the hatch well area and needs to be re-installed and I already have new plastic gears for it as I'm betting the old ones are probably trash. The limit switches were just dangling by their wires and the tiny nuts that fasten to the screws that hold them together were laying on top of the sunroof motor. At this point I may put it all back together and re-adjust everything and hope that the relays are okay, but I'm also very tempted just to revert back to Porsche's original KISS method of operating the sunroof and be done with it forever and that's why I'm searching for the manual latch assemblies!!!
I've watched some of your videos and I, like many others I'm sure, thank you for making them available. And I thank you for your response here!
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
edredas  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, if this is a car you drive a lot it would be worth it to keep the electronic stuff. I once converted one of my cars to manual just to not deal with fixing it but its so easy that I should have just kept it. I really do like the electric sunroof so much better.

That said, if the cable has come out then that is what happens when the gears are stripped. Simply run the cable back in by trying to raise the roof then go in and replace the gears...

Setting the limit switches and the slip clutch isn't hard at all... I've been planning on making a video on it but I haven't had time yet.

Thanks, and again,
Good luck!
TJC  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edredas wrote:
Honestly, if this is a car you drive a lot it would be worth it to keep the electronic stuff. I once converted one of my cars to manual just to not deal with fixing it but its so easy that I should have just kept it. I really do like the electric sunroof so much better.

That said, if the cable has come out then that is what happens when the gears are stripped. Simply run the cable back in by trying to raise the roof then go in and replace the gears...

Setting the limit switches and the slip clutch isn't hard at all... I've been planning on making a video on it but I haven't had time yet.

Thanks, and again,
Good luck!

I know I may regret not keeping the original setup and I'm not really intimidated about repairing it as I've certainly dug into deeper mysteries on automobiles!!! Perhaps I'll still obtain the manual bits though as a backup for future use while it's on my mind. I have some time to think about it as the front seats are out right now getting re-upholstered and there are a few other things I want to attend to before I drive her again.
I appreciate your time and well wishes...thank you!

Oh, if I elect to keep it original and have a question I may need to rely on your expertise rather than muddle through the process, hahaha!!!
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
edredas  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good! I hope to have a video out on repairing the electric roof soon. I have one I need to fix but it isn't a rush. I also have everything to do the manual conversion, but haven't decided whether I want to part with it yet. If I do decide to sell it I'll be sure to make a video on doing the manual conversion. That said, considering the 924 came with manual roofs hopefully, you'll find a set soon!
TJC  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edredas wrote:
Sounds good! I hope to have a video out on repairing the electric roof soon. I have one I need to fix but it isn't a rush. I also have everything to do the manual conversion, but haven't decided whether I want to part with it yet. If I do decide to sell it I'll be sure to make a video on doing the manual conversion. That said, considering the 924 came with manual roofs hopefully, you'll find a set soon!

Two quick questions if I may.
I will need 4 pieces total to make this conversion if I'm understanding it correctly...2 latches and 2 strikers...right?

As I ponder going to manual I'm still in the process of repairing the electric since I have new gears and the car is apart. One of the problems with it is that due to the micro switches hanging loose the drive cable backed nearly all of the way out from the motor. Is there a clever process to get it back all of the into the roof again?

Thanks!
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
edredas  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, four parts! Some latches come without the strikers but it will not hold the roof down since it there will be a gap between the latch and the roof. The strikers fill in this gap and keep the latches from just rotating and releasing the roof.

To put the cable back in all you need to do is feed it back into the motor then try and raise the roof and it will pull the cable back to where it belongs! If you can't get it to work then make sure the top is in and microswitch at the interior light is pressed! Once the cable is in place the rest is easy... the arms will be set once the microswitches are installed and the motor thinks the top is down. Then you'll just set the slip-clutch... and you're done!
TJC  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! Perhaps the motor isn't drawing the cable in because the sunroof is out and the microswitch at the interior light isn't being closed...or something like that! I plan on working on it today and hopefully get it done so I can move on to other details such as ding removal, wheel choice and A/C O-rings. Some of the best driving weather is coming up in the next few months and I want to be ready!

If I can't get the motor to draw the cable in I'm pretty sure I can do it manually if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure I'll find out!!!

Thanks for the info on the latches. Looking at one of the factory 924 parts manuals that I have I was pretty sure it required all four parts for the sunroof to work properly and I'm glad you confirmed it.

Thanks again and I really appreciate your help!
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
TJC  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunroof now operational again, adjustments made and all relays, switches, cable and latches happy!
We'll see how long this honeymoon lasts, LOL!
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
curtisr  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently asked Mark Pleiman at https://plyhammersparts.com/ if he had any manual sunroof latches and he did. Forgot the price.
TJC  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtisr wrote:
I recently asked Mark Pleiman at https://plyhammersparts.com/ if he had any manual sunroof latches and he did. Forgot the price.

I may just hold off for now especially since I've done the repair the "next time" may be a lot easier!
Actually my main gripe will be solved as the right side latch would not "lock" and the sunroof lifted at highway speeds at the right rear with the windows closed. Crack open a window and it would settle back down!!!

Also I was looking for a burgundy sunroof bag on eBay the other day and saw that someone was marketing brass sunroof gears...hmmmmm!
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: