Joined: 01 Oct 2004
Location: Woodstock IL
|Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:59 am Post subject: 1988 924S Special Edition Club Racer Package Deal
One of only 500 produced for the US market
Lightweight "club racer" configuration from the factory
Car has been tastefully modified but ALL ORIGINAL PARTS have been preserved and come with the sale.
Car is located in Woodstock IL 60098, 1 hour northwest of Chicago / O'Hare International Airport
Price is FIRM unless you want to quibble over the "extras".
Transmission: 5-speed Manual (short fifth 016 Audi Gearbox)
Warranty: Vehicle does NOT have an existing warranty
Engine: 2.5L inline four
Vehicle Title: Clear
Drive Type: RWD
OEM Options List
C02: catalytic converter
030: M030 suspension package
160: Charleston head unit
360: rear mud guards
526: cloth door panels
573: air conditioning
657: power steering
756: special edition package
990: cloth seats
The car is rock solid mechanically. Complete FOES, oil change, etc. were all performed in 2016 when engine modifications were installed. Work done by reputable local independent Porsche repair facility, BTR-Chicago. New tires. Brakes and struts have plenty of life remaining. PS and AC have been deleted (see notes below), but otherwise, all mechanicals work as expected. The car has not been tracked or auto-crossed in my ownership, nor by the owner from whom I acquired the car. It does not appear to have been abused at any time during its life.
The paint is all original. There are a handful of small dings here and there that could be removed by a paintless ding repair specialist. The front badge panel, bumper, and chin valance have expected stone chips accumulated from 110K miles. There is a small dent in the badge panel on the thin piece that extends under the driver side headlight cover. The rear "924S" decal is deteriorating. Otherwise, the exterior is in good condition.
The interior is in fair condition. Usual cracks on the dash, with a plastic dash cover installed. The "Special Edition" package included the Can Can red carpet kit (all original, although driver side is badly worn), the grey and red pin-striped cloth door cards and seat inserts, manual window winders, rear wiper delete, sunroof delete, driver-side-only manual GTS-style lightweight side mirror, 3-spoke sport steering wheel, and the later 944-style wider rub mouldings on the doors.
I have replaced the original 15" 3-spoke steering wheel with the smaller 14" 4-spoke sport steering wheel (OEM, leather wrapped). Both steering wheels come with the car. The previous owner installed a 912-style plastic manual side mirror on the passenger door. The original Blaupunkt head unit was replaced by PO with an aftermarket Sony unit that does not currently work (powers up but no sound). At some point prior to my ownership, the original seat fabric was replaced with some nice grey corduroy-like fabric. It is not correct for the car nor OEM material, but the seats appear to be the original correct seats, and the quality of the workmanship is very nice, including the correct burgundy piping. There is some light staining on the passenger seat bolster that I have not attempted to clean.
The original under-hood foam insulation is intact with some minor deterioration. I replaced the front hood struts and the rear hatch struts upon acquisition.
In 2016, several performance modifications were added to this car. I have not had the car dynoed, but it is much quicker and more responsive than stock. Modifications include:
- Estimated BHP: ~200BHP (stock 1988 motor produced 160BHP)
- Shaved head to increase CR from 10.2:1 to 10.8:1
- Port-matched head and intake
- Performance 5-angle valve job
- Rogue Tuning MAF+NATune Conversion
- MSDS Gen-2 Tubular Header
- 951 oil filter console and cooler conversion
- Power steering & A/C delete
- Lightweight underdrive pulley kit
- Lightweight crank and balance shaft gears
- Dansk sport exhaust
- F-Tech solid state DMR relay
- Semi-solid motor mounts
- Weltmeister strut brace
- Staggered 7J&8Jx16 ATS Phone Dials, freshly powder coated
- Continental Extreme Contact DW Tuned Tires (205/55 fr x 225/50 rr) <1000 miles currently on tires
All of the OEM components that were removed for performance mods have been preserved and come with the car for posterity / originality, including:
- Cam tower (original 9R cam and lifters were re-used)
- Original motronic DME + AFM (a second DME was acquired for the NATune conversion)
- All original sprockets, pulleys, P/S pump, A/C components, etc.
- Original 3-spoke sport steering wheel
- All related ancillaries
Several additional parts come with the car that I haven't had time to finish installing:
- Extra set of M030 freshly powder coated front springs
- Complete SPEC Stage 2 clutch pack with lightweight alu flywheel (lightly used)
- MSD Digital 6AL ignition box with MSD blaster coil and fresh NGK spark plugs
- Used OEM manual steering rack with rod ends and intermediate steering shaft
- Poly urethane steering rack bushings
- Only944 complete Audi-based short shift kit and linkage
- Complete set of 6x15 ATS Phone Dials, rattle-canned red, shod with used BFGoodrich Comp T/A R1s
- Complete set of 6x15 ATS Phone Dials, original finish, shod with used Michelin Energy MXV5 Plus
- Original set of 6J&7JX15 ATS Phone Dials, original to the car with air-tight but worn street tires
Available for add'l $$$
- Complete Euro bumper set, front and rear, fully loaded with correct Euro side markers and driving lights
- Charleston head unit purchased a couple of years ago from a reputable eBay reseller who claims it is in good working order.
15 981 GTS | 88 924S SE | 82 931 Holbert | 82 931 Rallye | 81 937 | 81 Euro 931 | 81 Weissach | 80 US 928 | 80 US 931 '941' | 80 US 931 | 80 931 GTR | 79 Sebring | 78 D-Prod Replica | 78 w/D-Prod kit | 78 Poli-Form | 78 Limited Edition | 77 Martini
Last edited by ideola on Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total