Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Inner Sill Rust Video - Fix options?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiny  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Inner Sill Rust Video - Fix options? Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

My O/S Inner Sill is toasted. What are my best economical options to get this fixed?

Here's a video of the area:

https://youtu.be/Eo-jTl9GBg8

Thanks for any help and suggestions. I'm in the UK by the way.
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my, thats some rust !
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only economical way to fix that is to have a close family member with a serious skill in metalwork and owes you his life!! Rear area is structural and will need to be done correctly if you fancy an mot in the future. It’s not just the rust you can see. It’s the extent of rust you can not see until you dig deeper. You cannot weld rust!
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might laugh but in all honesty it would be cheaper to fly here, buy a good shelled 924 and have it sent back to the UK. Cargo is about $2500 to send a car from Canada / USA to the UK and it only cost $500-$750 for really good car / shell. Those are prices in dollars mind. My guess is you will spend more than that to fix what you have and even then you're left with a franken monster that has been chopped, beaten, hacked and welded 9 times over. Then it still needs paint !

Flights are cheap this time of the year...

Me
1996 Ford E-350 ex-FedEx Van
2014 Mazda CX-5 (Kinderwagon)
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
safe  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best option it to part it put and get another car...

That is rust in a complicated area with suspension pickup points etc

If you have the space, time and desire to evolve your skills you could try to fix it yourself. Most of it doesn't need to be pretty, only sturdy. The puter skin needs some skill to get nice, but that part can be outsouced.
If you fail you have lost nothing more than time and investment in tools, you will need a good mig welder, griding tools, some tool to bend metal properly etc.
But there is little economic sense in trying to fix it.
Tiny  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank so far for entertaining and insightful suggestions!

I wondered....would it be easier if I got a scrap car like this and removed (assuming it is good/not rusted ) just what is required to fix the inner structurally defected area of mine?

Apologies I'm not an expert with the chasis / bodywork knowledge on this part of a 924.

Would it be slightly simpler if I removed what I needed from something like this?

safe  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiny wrote:
Thank so far for entertaining and insightful suggestions!

I wondered....would it be easier if I got a scrap car like this and removed (assuming it is good/not rusted ) just what is required to fix the inner structurally defected area of mine?

Yes, you cut around the VIN number on your car, save that piece, scrap the rest. Then weld it into the junker.

Seriously, it gets a little easier if you have something to cut pieces out from.
But seeing the amount of rust on your car, I doubt that it is the only rust you will find. Its unusual that they rust that badly. Not worth saving IMHO.

I recently "saved" a really badly rusted 924.Most of the right sill and most of the right floor was was replaced. Apart from that I found tons of rust in other places that I did not expect. I found 11 rust holes in the car that I had to repair. I count the right sill and floor as 1... Luckily all suspension points on mine was fine.

What is worth it? Not by a long shot in any conventional sense. But it was a nice learning experience.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiny,

Sorry but that unibody is definitely not worth an attempt to repair. Sell the thing as a parts car & buy something better.

Or if you like wrenching than replace the body. But repairing is not an option.

Good video footage though.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

… to further explain:
When welding a new panel onto an old panel, the old panel has to be sturdy enough to handle the welding or else it just burns through and usually this means removing a lot more metal than you expected to. Even replacing the body would be a bitch because of the rust.

Rust sucks
kondzi  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you definitely can repair that! The only thing is price effectiveness... 924 is not worth doing such bodyworks, unless it's a Carrera GT or so.
'88 Mustang 5.0 LX Convertible (factory specs)
'84 911 Carrera 3.2 RoW (factory specs)
'81 931 RoW (TBD)
'81 Ford Capri 2.8i (factory specs)
'79 Ford Capri 2.9 (heavily modded)
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything can be done, but replacing suspension mounts should be done by a shop that knows what they are doing. If you botch it up you end up with the rear wheels sitting at the wrong angle and not be able to adjust them.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy another with a straight body and put the best stuff in/on the straight body..
I think 80 and on bodys are fully galvanized, get one..

I wouldn't sell anything until you had the one done..
I think this is a very easy car to do a body swap on.. Lift the whole shell off the drive train and suspension, interior is relatively easy too..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: