Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Injector lines repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeneese  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Injector lines repair Reply with quote

Cant find any earlier posts on this subject. I have a 1982 Euro spec big valve 924 brought here from Germany by Air force officer. I have owned this car for of 20 years. Needs all injector lines and pressure control lines replaced as the flexible part of the steel lines have the black rubber part of the flex lines failing. Is there a repair for this or do I need to replace the entire line assemblies assuming I can locate them?
Thanks.. BTW removing engine for new clutch.

Porsche 1982 Euro Spec 924
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outer rubber is sacrificial and often cracks. The inner hard line is unlikely to be damaged but check to make sure. I removed all the nasty rubber from mine and reused.
Porver9two4  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ as above. The injector lines themselves are actually hard nylon and are incredibly hard wearing and long lived. The rubber covering is just that - a protective rubber covering. Deterioration is common and not of concern.
bear924  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refreshed theae last year when i completed my engine rebuild. I believe I added a write up on this forum in how i did it. I woild post link etc however i only have access to my phone atm. Suggest your search my posts and see what you find.
bureau13  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a recommendation for replacing that rubber sheath? It may not cause actual problems but it doesn't look very good.

Preferably something that doesn't require disconnecting the lines...like a split-loom heat shrink? Does that exist? I have some split-look mesh stuff that I used on exposed wire bundles in a different car, but it would look wrong in this application.
2007 Hummer H3 (Daily Driver)

Past lives (I miss them all):
2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1987 RX-7 Turbo II (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
kingzetts  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used high-ratio glue-lined heat shrink, after carefully removing the perished rubber outer. It needs to be about 6:1 shrink ratio to get it over the fittings and bends in the steel line sections. Lines would have to be disconnected to fit, obviously.

It works well but the downside is the OD of the lines is increased somewhat (from about 6mm to around 9mm) which has the side effect that you will not get all 4 injector lines through the side-by-side clamp bracket near the front of the head.

I was unable to find any higher-ratio shrink material. A ratio of about 8:1 in non-glue-lined would be ideal if such a thing exists.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: