Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Lost keys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raize  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Lost keys Reply with quote

I lost the only keys for my 924. I can pry the door to get in, but still no key to start it.

What's the easiest cheapest and quickest route to being able to start it with a screwdriver or button and turn off the steering lock. I don't care if it involves permanently breaking the ignition lock or steering lock. I just need this car driveable as it is my only transport and I have no money right now.

Getting a locksmith to make a new key or more likely replace the locks is not an option as it'll be more than the car is worth.
Qik Nip  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Lost keys Reply with quote

Raize wrote:
I lost the only keys for my 924. I can pry the door to get in, but still no key to start it.

What's the easiest cheapest and quickest route to being able to start it with a screwdriver or button and turn off the steering lock. I don't care if it involves permanently breaking the ignition lock or steering lock. I just need this car driveable as it is my only transport and I have no money right now.

Getting a locksmith to make a new key or more likely replace the locks is not an option as it'll be more than the car is worth.

Sounds bad Mate. And my input isn't going to make it better. To remove the steering lock, you have to first turn on the key (to retract it the pin) and then it can be disabled. I fear your only recourse is that locksmith. I hate being the bearer of bad news.
Great Lakes SCCA SM points champion '09,'10,'11
Raize  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's unfortunate. Plan B then.

I managed to remove one of the locks, so in theory a key could be cut to fit it. However with the lock off the car I doubt any shop will touch it. And mobile call out is too expensive.

I have read some online guides and it doesn't sound particularly hard to "impression" a new key from the lock I have myself.

Could someone please measure the dimensions of a 924 ignition key so I know what size of key blank I need?
Raize  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've disassembled the fuel filler cap so now I just have the lock barrel inside a white plastic moulding.

Is there any way to see the wafers now without destroying this thing?
Raize  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just pulls out. Now I can see all the wafers and easily cut a key to fit once I find some blank.

Actually kinda terrifying how easy this was to do. Gonna fit a hidden kill switch on my car once I get the key problem sorted 😬
Ozzie  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locksmiths used to be able to cut a key from a number on the barrel.
Not sure this practice worked on 924 or is still in use.
Engineer of Electro/Mechanical Systems Maintenance
Raize  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still haven't solved this. Its easy to duplicate any key but the ignition without even using a proper blank. But the ignition lock has a different wafer layout.

I've learned to impression locks to try to make a working ignition key however it didn't work.

Does anyone have information on the number / spacing / layout of the tumblers in the ignition lock barrel? I had seven impression marks on the key I tried to make but I think there may be more tumblers than that, especially towards the end of the key the features seem more complex.
Eliza  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Raize,

if you're still looking to solve this, pm me. I can send you a couple of photos that may help ( ignition lock cylinder and tumblers off of my car, taken a few months ago while cleaning ).

Eliza
scm924s  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally the ignition/door/hatch and fuel cap are identical keys, an early VW Beetle or Golf blank is the same, so the ignition key shouldn't have any different features to a door lock key. Always assuming all the locks haven't been changed somewhere.
1984 n/a Black - sold
1980 n/a Le Mans#1 - sold
1980 n/a Le Mans#2- sold
1977 Martini - sold
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: