Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Turbo oil drain pipe breather removal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddyendo  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Turbo oil drain pipe breather removal Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
So recently rebuilt the turbo on my car but now the oil drain to sump pipe is leaking.
I’ve sources a replacement, however it does not have the inline breather box as is off a later 81 car. Mine is a 79.
Can I simply do without the breather box and blank off the pipe by the purolator?

The pipe up from the breather is a pain to route so seems like I’d be better off without it?

Thanks
Edd
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s a sump/turbo drain and breather upgrade by Porsche. Some turbos had the upgrade, some did not. It’s supposed to avoid oil foaming and restricting lubrication of the turbo. It’s also an added element to the breather system. I would be inclined to continue to reuse the same set up rather than not. The top pipe should be going to the head, not the purolator.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's leaking at the rubber I think a hydraulic hose shop can replace the hose on it..
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also reading this again, the pipe from the Purolator should be going to the air filer box and not the turbo oil drain pipe/air separator you speak of. Seems yours may not be plumbed in 100% as per Porsche configuration?
Eddyendo  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info guys.
Upon removing the old one I found that the pipe that goes into the top of the breather box had fractured, perhaps from being knocked when we were re-installing the turbo.

I've sourced 2 replacement hoses, both with and without the breather box, so I will try and keep it. Although routing the 90degree solid pipe may be a struggle with turbo in situe as the old one was a pain to remove.

I think as mentioned my lines aren't connected quite as Porsche intended. My car is running a large k&n type filter with no air box, so I think at some stage someone has linked the breather up to the Purolator.
I did think it seemed like a rather long run of pipework!

Cheers
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its possible with the turbo in place, even though it do feel impossible when you try it, it will finally pop into place. I would try to keep the updated one to get the best possible life out of my turbo. Even my S1 engine had the updated breather installed some time during its life, so they obviously thought it was important.
Eddyendo  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine too is an S1 engine. So, ok Ill definitely try to keep the updated line then.

The replacement I received looks to have been over brazed in the area where the old on cracked and split, so perhaps this is a known point of failure?

Having done only about 10 miles to my village fete on my freshly rebuilt turbo, I want to avoid potentially damaging it!

Many Thanks
Edd
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbo issues back in the day were mainly down to poor fossil based oil. Make sure today you are using a really good fully synth oil that can deal with the heat of the turbo.

The turbo engine had oil breathing issues. The upgraded breather system was introduced to improve positive crankcase pressure and improve oil draining from the turbo back to the sump. The line from the Purlator should not be connected to the oil drain top pipe. The oil drain top pipe should be going to a vent drilled into the head.
MOTANUL  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if my breather system is old or new (1980 931).
If the pictures are not conclusive - I will do other pictures.

Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the new system, same as the s2 engine.
MOTANUL  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S2 breather system
Two good news in one day!

The second: Turbo is oil leak free. It looks like all the oil was leaking from above.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbo is a K26 2660GA 4.10 according to the plate. Also series 2 spec. The intake system is series 1. So like many turbos, its probably had a mix of dealer applied updates and previous owner/garage repairs. So you can never assume you have what you think you should have.
peterld  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the intake S1? Can't tell whether the throttle body is round or oval, etc.
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats my old 931.
It has a Carrera GT spec turbo, the #6 turbine, S2 compressor housing and billet compressor wheel.
The engine is the original S1 engine(intake included) but the breather system has been updated to the S2 version, except the metering head housing which on the S2 sucks the crank case gases after the air filter, this car still has the original air metering unit that sucks the crank case gases before the air filter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: