Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Engine angle, maybe motor mounts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DentalFlossTycoon  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Engine angle, maybe motor mounts Reply with quote

I spent the weekend under my ‘78 NA replacing the clutch. When it came time to reattach the bell housing, I found that there was a gap at the top of the bell housing when the bottom was aligned. I eventually closed the gap and bolted up the bell housing only by jacking up the front of the motor, which was visibly sagging.

The engine had spent some time on the hoist from the loop near the rear. I’m wondering if I crushed the mounts or if they were already kaput before I started the project.

The car has had some vibration at idle, and I would characterize it as ”agricultural,” but not alarming.

Now it seems that the engine is at least partially supported by the bell housing/torque tube carrier. I don’t have everything put together yet, so I don’t know how it is going to run and vibrate when the job is done.

Does it sound like I have an urgent motor mount replacement task ahead of me? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Russmw  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just gone through a clutch replacement (car back on the road yesterday) so the process\pain is still quite clear.

When you remove the torque tube the engine does indeed tilt forward so you need to lift the front of the engine to line everything back up. Couple of questions:

- Is yours 5 speed (so you removed the gearbox) or 4 speed (so you slid the torque tube\gearbox back)

- You say "I don’t have everything put together yet" so whats currently connected?

thanks
Russell
DentalFlossTycoon  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. It’s a 4-speed (so I slid the bell housing, central tube, and transaxle back). As of now I have the bell bolted back to the engine and the transaxle bolted back up to its mounts. The jack holding the trans and the engine hoist are no longer necessary. I still have to attach the axle shafts to the trans and remount the exhaust system from the cat back. Fortunately, all the relevant and tricky drivetrain bits are reassembled, and the engine seems to be back at a reasonable angle in that state of assembly.

This project has worked me over!
Russmw  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - totally agree with that. I did an hour a night over 14 days and I physically know I've done the work as mine a 5 speed I removed the gearbox, detached the torque tube\bell housing and slid the torque tube back then removed the bell housing.

When I removed the torque tube from the bellhousing I noticed it had a small gap at the top after removing the 4 bolts as the engine tilted forward - same as you've seen.

I dont think you'd put enough strain on the mounts to damage them. Without the drive shafts installed the gearbox has nothing to push against so I dont know if this might be causing some of the vibration?

Thanks
DentalFlossTycoon  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@russmw you’re making me feel better! I’m hoping to get the rest put back together tonight or tomorrow and take for a shakedown cruise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: