Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Seatbelt upper mounting point/B-pillar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eliza  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Seatbelt upper mounting point/B-pillar Reply with quote

Good morning all,

I need the accumulated wisdom and in-depth knowledge of the board .

I hate it how the stock seatbelt grazes the side of my neck in summer, when wearing just a T-shirt. I am considering a lower, static mounting point.

Is this doable? I want to ensure safety isn't compromised. I know there are weld-in nuts, just not certain how these would be placed, and would the B-pillar be strong enough after placement?

Anyone else have that same issue and come up with a solution?

Fire away

Thanks in advance,

Elisabeth
snakoil  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option would be to swap to a harness bar using the oem holes with a harness.
I had that setup in my car for a short while and the belt would come from behind at a straight angle if I remember well.
Be aware that I switched back to regular seatbelts since because I couldn't reach the radio and other buttons once strapped in
Eliza  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, though I find this a slightly "overkilly" solution.

Then again, considering I have 12 way power seats with lumbar and seat heaters (late 928 seats ) in the car, and after a full suspension overhaul last fall decided to upgrade the driver seat back to a sport seat back without losing any of the full-fledged comfort, overkill may be my middle name

No, I'd love to stick with the stock belt.

Let's see what other fascinating suggestions find their way here

Eliza
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, I hate race harnesses in street cars...

Anyway, I feel like there are some simple straps probably available in the US that will hold the strap tighter/lower, for better comfort in normal driving, while still not impairing the normal function of the belt in a potential crash...

For sure, there are at least pads that can snap or velcro on to the strap to pad it and reduce chafing...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Eliza  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to raise the issue with my mech ( who also does the roadworthiness checks for my car ). We will fab a bracket out of 3 mm steel to lower the mounting point about 4 cm which will be completely removable if needed/wanted.

This bracket will be mounted into the original mounting point and have an inverted T-shape to ensure fitment around the B-pillar so it doesn't become dislocated in case of an impact.

Thanks for your suggestions, but I want to solve the issue rather than work around it. Hooray to my P-car whisperer who humours my every crazy idea

Eliza
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have seat raisers installed?
Maybe those will help and you don't have to do this mod.
That fabbed anchor and bolt...i'd like to see the design of it.

I'm not saying you should not move the anchor of the seatbelt but i'm saying that the system has been tested and calibrated with a certain geometry.
In case of a crash the results may be different.
Now this is probably not going to make a difference since your modification falls inside the positional tolerance of the testing rig but be advised that some authorities may amend you for doing mods on the safety system of your car.
Eliza  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Morghen,

thanks for your concern . I want to avoid unpleasantness of course - both with authorities AND potential crash issues. That's why I asked the person who will MOT my car. He will NOT approve anything unless he deems it failsafe. PITA sometimes, but in the end, my own safety is at stake.

Seat raisers? Nah... I swapped, as stated, to 12 way power 928 seats that are height adjustable at a touch of a button. And they even work Ah, the little luxuries...
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I don't trust your MOT guy, but I worked as a design engineer for seatbelt systems for 7 years.
Can you show me a sketch or the finished product?

I hope no welding is involved..also any fasteners must be class 8.8 and mimimum size is 7/16" UNF20 thread with the bolts being free of Hidrogen molecules, that's a special kind of bolt.
The sheet metal used must be 3mm thick as a minimum and the steel inside must be according to the 550MC type specification.

All potentially loaded sections of the sheet metal must be at full material thickness and offer a minimum of 8mm width as projected to a plane.
Eliza  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, we decided on 3mm thickness, as stated above.

I can send you a sketch once we've entered the planning phase ( probably next week's friday ).

Good to know you have insight, something to store for future reference!
How's the "other" P-car?

Eliza
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They Cayman is a great driving machine.
I miss the 924s though, quite a bit.
Eliza  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you. So sad. All the work, sweat tears, joy, money, memories.

But you know, at some point another one will find you. I'm almost certain
Eliza  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: The solution Reply with quote

Hi all!

Long time in the making, but should anyone ever have the same issue, here's my solution.

As always, it was totally different from what I thought.

No intricate and potentially risky fiddle involved ( Morghen will be glad to hear ).

Thing is, I had installed 928 power seats at one point, which sit considerably higher than the manual seats. I did leave the 924 seat belt buckles in place, and mounted on the tunnel as opposed to the seat itself. Now... apparently, the buckles for the power seats/sports seats are 5 cm longer ( and NLA ).

So I bought an aftermarket, E4 approved, longer belt buckle which completely changes the geometry of the closed seat belt back to where it should be, and no more neck grazing! Happy bunny here!

Eliza
morghen  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, isnt the steering wheel too close to your legs now?
By the wat, I bought another 924 and its currently being painted
Eliza  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Morghen!

Good to hear! Post pictures!

Yep, had an issue with the steering wheel and getting into the car to begin with. One of the first things I did was get rid of the 3 spoke steer. I had a Momo for a while, but now I have a 4 spoke 944 steer. That one is mounted off-centre and works fine. No more undignified scrambling getting in and out

Eliza
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: