Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Cooling fan operation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bureau13  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Cooling fan operation Reply with quote

I've recently started overheating, but only at idle or stop and go traffic. Long open roads at speed, no problem. Sounds like fans, right? Only, I hear them running after I shut the car off, as they usually do.

I found a fan troubleshooting guide on Clark's garage for early 944s...and that indicated that the driver's side fan runs at two speeds, and the passenger side fan depending on AC operation. I have definitely had overheating issues with AC both on and off, although I can't really see the fans that easily so I can't say which is running, or how fast. But first things first...does the 924/931 work that way? Or is that 944 info not applicable here?
2007 Hummer H3 (Daily Driver)

Past lives (I miss them all):
2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1987 RX-7 Turbo II (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbo rads are near their limit of efficiency whilst new. Old coolant systems get furred up. Rads get less efficient. When slow or stopped the rad fan (singular) will always come on assuming the rad switch is working as there is no air flow. Fan will operate when needed, not all the time, not always when shutting down, unless the system is not optimal.
bureau13  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...I most definitely have two fans, and I have the cooling fan relay described in the early 944 material.

My working assumption at this point is that my cooling fan relay is bad. I need to test it to make sure, but it makes perfect sense if I assume I have the same configuration as the early 944s, which everything I have seen on my car indicates that I do.

Carrera RSR wrote:
Turbo rads are near their limit of efficiency whilst new. Old coolant systems get furred up. Rads get less efficient. When slow or stopped the rad fan (singular) will always come on assuming the rad switch is working as there is no air flow. Fan will operate when needed, not all the time, not always when shutting down, unless the system is not optimal.

2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My temp will definitely shoot up after coming off the highway to stop at a light... often I'll switch the AC on as I'm coming to a stop, in hot weather, just to run the fans early (instead of waiting for the temp spike)...

But a flush of the cooling system might not hurt too. Though yes, first step verify proper power supply to the fans.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
bureau13  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to wrap this up and put a bow on it...it was the relay.

Some things I learned (for the dual fan AC-equipped cars):

The driver's side fan runs at slow speed if the temp switch on the radiator is closed. With ignition on, if that switch is closed, it runs at high speed (I think) and if the AC is on, the passenger-side fan runs at high speed. Both fans run if AC is on, regardless of that temp switch.

There are two relays that play a big role here: The AC relay (position 3) and the cooling fan relay (position 1...this one was my problem). I'm not sure what relay is REALLY needed in position 3, since I didn't have to remove that one, but in position 1 you need 944 615 113 00 (or 01 or 02). It has six pins, and closes two switches (one for each fan) when it is triggered. Early 944s use this same relay (and same fan setup in general). There is a lot of stuff on the internet...and possibly factory documentation...that says this should be a 4-pin 53 generic relay. THEY'RE LYING.

Anyway, long story short, a friend of a friend had a dead '83 944, and we pulled the relay from that. No more overheating!

2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
1980NC931  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i was having issues with my 1980 924 turbo cooling system.

the temperature switch was messed up but once i fixed that it was revealed that the relay was also not right.

I've got the 5 part manual for the car but every option detailed for the relays seemed wrong. relay 1 taking care of A/C AND being a part of the radiator circuit makes the books make sense.

I guess the logic there is that the A/C automatically turns on the radiator fan so they had to wire it in to the circuit somewhere?
bureau13  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took some staring and thinking, but once I had the schematic straight it all made sense, more or less. There's a lot of misinformation out there about exactly what relay is needed. In this case, I pulled it from the same location in an early 944, and it was perfect.

1980NC931 wrote:
yeah i was having issues with my 1980 924 turbo cooling system.

the temperature switch was messed up but once i fixed that it was revealed that the relay was also not right.

I've got the 5 part manual for the car but every option detailed for the relays seemed wrong. relay 1 taking care of A/C AND being a part of the radiator circuit makes the books make sense.

I guess the logic there is that the A/C automatically turns on the radiator fan so they had to wire it in to the circuit somewhere?

2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's a little confusing, because on the NA, the fans ground through the temp switch, real simple.

The same circuit exists with the Turbo/AC, but they needed to add the extra ground path for when the AC's on... so whereas a relay will normally switch power, this time it's switching the ground path (turning on the extra circuit with AC on)...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: