Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

New 924S owner with speedometer, cooling system questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/?year=&make=porsche&model=944&search_str=944.606.201&p=catalog&mode=search&scat=&search_in=all

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/auto-parts/1987/porsche/924/s-trim/2-5l-l4-gas-engine/electrical-cat/senders-scat

I'll look tomorrow to see if I have any used ones. It will be best to call Sunset and verify the part since some years had a spade connector, others had a round connector.
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
austinporsche  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks Paul. BTW, nice collection (assume all those water cools have the IMS upgrade?).

For all these years (since 1993) I've kept these two huge black 3 ring binders with the entire parts catalogue for my long hood 911. Now I have it online without scanning it. Stupid that I never checked. But still have to keep the original shop manuals I guess

It doesn't say anything about being specific to a turbo or S2, so I am assuming that it's the same part for all the 2.5L models (remember 1st three letters of assume).

Looks like it's about $70 from Porsche (not too bad), $35 elsewhere (but not Pelican: hmm?). That 944 606 201 00 number really helps with the search.

BTW, stupid me. My brother reminded me that I have 4 complete albeit non-running 944s lying around, so I am going to "borrow" the temp switch off of one of those first to see if that corrects the high temp reading. If it does, then I'll buy a new one (and return the 2 spade Bosch version for DME input to Rock as well as the 2 spade Bosch injector style connector I was going to use to retrofit it -- don;t worry, I was going to test the resistance of it first and would have discovered that it was a DME temp sensor).

While I am at it, do you think I should put in the 160F thermostat in as well independent of what happens with the temp gauge? It has moved from Seattle to Austin after, and we all know how snowflakes melt when they get down here from the PNW.
Paul  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd keep the stock temp fan switch and thermostat.

The 98 Boxster has a 2005 Porsche remanufactured motor so yes.

The 01 Boxster has a LNS ceramic IMS bearing that I installed.

The 911 Turbo is based on the air cooled 911 block and does not have any IMS bearing issues.

Please verify the part number with a dealer, there have been lots of issues with getting the correct part number. It could be the $30 one in my previous post.
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.

Last edited by Paul on Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Daniel12  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps sourcing one, in addition to the Porsche part number given above, it is stamped "VDO Germany", "120 (degree) C Max", "6-24V", "801/1/50", "1 87"

In addition to the metal tube entering the air duct near the throttle body, there is a plastic elbow entering from below near the air sensor. With the clamps removed they should come out, though a little Wurth Rubber Care used like penetrating oil might help (plus it's good for the rubber). The engine in the picture I posted is a salvage yard unit out of an '87 924S. The idiots removed all of the soft pieces with a hammer, bolt cutters and the fork lift arms.

To post an image, paste the web address of your picture between the [img] and the [/img]

1987 924S Red ITS #12
1995 993 Polar Silver
austinporsche  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul and Daniel.

I'll be sure to confirm that the sensor is the spade type and not the post type.

Thanks again for saving me the indignity of splicing in a two spade connector onto the wiring harness where none belonged.

Once I temporarily cannibalize one of the 944s (they are all normally aspirated versions), I'll post what I found out.
Daniel12  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, the Porsche part number Paul posted is the exact number stamped into the sensor in my photo, which came out of an '87 924S engine. The salvage '87 924S engine I have has the same sensor as does the '88 short block I bought new from Porsche (which is now in the car because the previous engine went BOOM in a most spectacular fashion).
1987 924S Red ITS #12
1995 993 Polar Silver
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: