Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Driver's side window regulator replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bureau13  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Driver's side window regulator replacement Reply with quote

My window is stuck down. I can hear the motor running, but the glass doesn't move.

I removed the door card (and in the process butchered the interior latch surround...anyone know where I can get a replacement in brown? Also one of those little screw covers flew off and rolled away...I can't seem to find them but I don't know the official name) and looking down into the window, I can see the problem. The big gear turns when I press the switch, but part of the regulator metal frame snapped in half. Crazy.

I found a used one on Ebay and ordered it, but in the mean time...any thoughts on how to get it out with the window stuck in the down position? It won't budge...I thought maybe I could push it up from the bottom and then prop it up there, but no bueno...it is firmly stuck in place. All of the descriptions I've seen on how to remove the regulator have the window raised.
2007 Hummer H3 (Daily Driver)

Past lives (I miss them all):
2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1987 RX-7 Turbo II (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
bureau13  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got the regulator replaced. The problem was not a stripped gear, as I imagined, but part of the metal frame, near the center gear area, broke completely in half. Very weird.

For the record, there were some videos on youtube that really glossed over how to get the regulator in properly. Or, maybe I made it harder than I needed to. Getting the one wheel in the groove on the door, and the other two in the two grooves along the bottom of the window, without a helper, was a pain. I ended up propping up the window and then running the motor to get the regulator in approximately the right position for the window as it was being held in place, and was finally able to get this in correctly. I had to remove the screws holding it to the door several times to reposition slightly and replace. Pain in the ass. Plus, I hate working on stuff that doesn't move the ball down the field. This isn't me making the car better, it's fixing something that I (somehow) broke, which irritates me. But, such is old car ownership
2007 Hummer H3 (Daily Driver)

Past lives (I miss them all):
2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1987 RX-7 Turbo II (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: