Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Vapor Blasting...WOW!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ras924  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Vapor Blasting...WOW!!! Reply with quote

Hey guys, just thought I would post some pictures of my N/A head after vapor blasting. I had it done by a guy here in Minnesota. His name is Clay and his place is Hydramoto Vapor Blasting. He's on Facebook...I highly recommend him!

image hosting 15mb

924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's gorgeous!!!
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! How much did they charge for the head?
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been vapour blasting for some years now. Far nicer finish compared to harsh media such as dry sand, glass etc. Leaves a smoother finish and less susceptible to dirty finger prints and dirt clinging to it.

Just make sure it is all really well rinsed, rinsed again and finally a really really good rinse for good measure. You do not want any remnants of glass bead slurry ending up in the motor.

ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, did you do anything afterward to protect the alu? I've heard (unsubstantiated) rumors that the cast alloy came with an anti-corrosion treatment from the factory. It seems any kind of blasting would remove any coating that might have been there. How have the parts stood up to weather and conditions in the engine bay?
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:
Steve, did you do anything afterward to protect the alu? I've heard (unsubstantiated) rumors that the cast alloy came with an anti-corrosion treatment from the factory. It seems any kind of blasting would remove any coating that might have been there. How have the parts stood up to weather and conditions in the engine bay?

Perhaps the "coating" comes from the agents they used for the molds, or perhaps its just a coincidental chemical reaction happening because of the sand they used or the type of agents they used in the molds.
Or perhaps the oxidation layer on top of the aluminium is formed directly in the mold and therefore could be special.
interesting information though.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:

I applied nothing. I do try to keep the bay clean and mop up any debris and fluids. I can't recall the name, but I know some restorers use a treatment on bare aluminium. I'll try and look it up.......Alublast???. But have to say, with vapour blasting the finish is smoother and less likely to tarnish or attract dirt. Its not has pin bright as it was 6-8 yrs ago, but still a good bay. Most bare metal you see was vapour blasted......

924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That is a gorgeous picture. Need to save that to my archive for the to-do list, for the intercooler install... can't wait to make and install that intake...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really interested in the vapor blast concept but not sure I totally understand the media. Is is a combo of glass bead, heat and chemicals blasted onto the part? If glass bead is involved I'm not sure I want to use it on 356 engine cases that have a lot of little internal passages. If no glass beads, I WANT!
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifty50Plus wrote:
not sure I totally understand the media

water-borne abrasives...
https://www.vaporblastingequipment.com/wet-blasting/what-wetblasting-guide-vapor-blasting-process
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe dry ice blasting would be better for the air-cooled stuff?
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used dry ice blasting on a lot of engine parts, and gear box, results are great with no media residues. The gearbox got at clear coat to keep it easy to clean.
Eric P  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Vapormate cabinet in my shop. We mainly use it for motorcycle parts but I've used it on some car bits too. we mix a rust preventative into the slurry. Vapor blasted steel parts flash rust very quickly and the rust preventative seems to help.

When finished, wash all the parts thoroughly. For some reason people seem to think that vapor blasting is ok on engine internals. If you wouldn't glass bead it, don't vapor blast it. Vapor blasting closes the metal pores unlike dry blasting, but you're still using an abrasive that gets stuck in everything. Grit still gets in all those tiny passages. You don't want glass beads working loose and getting in your oil.

Here's a fun experiment: the next time someone says they can vapor blast engine internals, hand them an old bearing and ask them to blast it for you. Trust me, it'll be crunchy when they hand it back.

Once the parts are washed, I usually use WD40 to protect the metal and get rid of any left over water.

You can get some really nice results with vapor blasting. I'm amazed that it isn't very common in the US. It seems much more common in europe for some reason.

Edit: it's probably worth noting that we don't paint or otherwise finish anything that comes out of our vapor blaster. Typically we use the dry cabinet as it produces a better surface for paint adhesion and it doesn't involve chemicals which could cause issues with paint bonding. Besides, why would you go through all that work just to paint the part?
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the feedback. I've got a glass bead cabinet and a soda blast cabinet and am looking for the ultimate treatment for old 356 Porsche engine cases. I'll search for a dry ice application to see how it works.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
ras924  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was charged $100.00 for the head. I did have him stay away from the cam saddles just to be safe, but yeah, it looks amazing!!!

In regards to any casting coating, I have been in manufacturing for over 30 years and IF there was anything put on it, it would probably have been a chromate conversion (MIL-DTL-5541), but that is heat sensitive and would burn off so I am guessing there was nothing on it from Porsche.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: