Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Battery mounting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric P  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Battery mounting Reply with quote

I've noticed that there are two different battery mounting configurations on our cars.

I can't really find much info on it, but it appears that at some point Porsche switched from mounting the battery with both terminals facing the firewall to both terminals facing the driver side (on a LHD anyway).

The later configuration has some issues. One is that the positive post of the battery is dangerously close to the windshield frame. My 924S has a chunk of the windshield frame missing due to the battery grounding on it before I bought the car. I'm not sure if this is from a loose battery mount or the previous owner grounding a wrench when he took the battery off. The other issue is that water runs off the windshield and onto the battery washing acid into the tray. It seems to me that the later configuration is worse in pretty much every way possible?

Since I'm repairing my battery tray, I have the battery mount cut out for now. I'm replacing the cables anyway so I rotated the battery 90 degrees to the early configuration. Are there any downsides to doing this that I'm not seeing? I don't want to run into any issues after I fiberglass my new mount into the new tray.

This is the stock (late) configuration:

(image stolen from Ericv on the pelican forums)

This is my battery now. Are there any reasons this might a bad idea? Porsche must have changed it for a reason. Everything else I've seen on this car seems very well thought out.

snakoil  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after so much time and effort to repair the battery tray on mine there was no way I would make holes in the bottom of it to hold the battery.

I went a bit creative and bought some bracket metal and created this tie down that is bolted to the firewall using butterfly nuts

no way I was going to put a huge battery back in there, always trying to add lightness.
Removing the dust in there would also add lightness...
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt the same way after all that rust repair work so I put mine in the right rear fender well..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: