Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Attention Bob Dodd

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was refered here and to you by Eric Lynch, in any case I have found really decent 81 924 turbo. Needs some love on the paint, and some minor interior fixes. As I was walking around giving a quick inspection I noticed when i pulled the hood.... NO MOTOR. Not sure what else its missing as of yet. Soo. Ive been trying to find a complete motor that works. with turbo, etc.

Also does the 924 have a transaxle or a transmission? cause if its a transmission it needs it as well.

I live around Huntsville Alabama. thats middle northern alabama. If anyone can help me out let me know.

Thanks!
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing is how much are they wanting for the car.

And do you care if it is orginal?

No Motor (does it have the electronics under the dash, was the AC compressor removed or AC system opened?)
bad paint (how bad)
interior good ( what is missing?)

What about rims and tires?

That car will have a 5 speed AUDI transaxle, take a look and if possible jack it off the ground and spin the wheels to determine if it has limited slip, grab the center of the cv axle and twist to see how much play they have. Look at exhaust and underneath for damage.

I have spare motors and I'm sure the guys on the list might have one too.

But back to the first question. If you can't get the car real cheap I mean like 200 to 300 bucks they are wanting too much. One in california on ebay same situation, is going or has gone for real cheap.

I have an 80S for example that needs paint and body but is all there I would sell for 1100 or Best offer.

If you want a turbo and have the space. Buy this car for a parts car and keep looking. You might find a wrecked car to put this one back or a sad car that is complete that you can use this car for parts.

You have to determine your skill level and commitment on whether you want a big project that will take some money and lots of time or a driver that needs attention and can be worked on a little as you go.

There are alot of guys here that have or are doing both and from the amount of aggravation I hear from the ground up rebuilds it might be better to find one more complete.

Of course if your doing a track car, an incomplete car might be the ticket as your more than likely going to tear it all down and put it back together.

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
Ben  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.

I dont car if motor is original, I would want a decent running daily driver type motor.

I have no clue about the behind dsah electronics or a/c equipment. Ill check if i can.

The bad paint is purely oxidation from hell, most will buff out with some compound, but i know for sure some areas are going to be down to the factory primer because of this.

It has 5 lug wheels, that appear to be just like the spoked 4 lugs of the 924. Im sorry i dont know the name.

Its posted as $500, but its been sitting for about a year. I think if I were to walk up throw $100 down they would gladly let me have it.

Now about my own experinces.
I have owned 2 88 toyota supras , both turbos. If you know anything about these cars you know they didnt age well, and have been abused, in anycase to make a long story short I bought the first one for $4200 which was in decent condition. Then later ended up doing a motor change amonst about $5k in other work on my own to make it run....The last I bought for $500 and it had the infamaus Blown head gasket and about 225k on the motor, I once again went through the trouble to fix a car that was clearly DEAD. Im done with Toyotas.

Ive always been a big fan of porches, of course who hasnt. I really started to consider owning one when I drove my friends 944 turbo. NICE! I understand the maintence costs as well. He spent $1k on the clutch alone and another $600 on labor getting it in, much less the normal maintence costs which I also got to witness.

Ok so what I was thinking was that Id buy the 924 turbo from this shop and then talk to him about putting in a motor for me and making it a dependable driver. Then see how much it will cost if I provide the missing motor.

I would rather just skip all this and buy a running dependable 924 or 944 n/a

Lets see what everyone has to say about that.

THx
Ben  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea almost forgot, The interior looked 100% complete. And in my opionion it was in ok to good condition for a car made in 1981.

Zuffen  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can find you a motor or sell you one of mine.

I think that after your car owning history you won't be happy with a 924NA. A 924T is a better car than a 944 as the 924T gives you a lot more tinkering room. And it seems like you are interested in that aspect, and if you do your own performance work you'll have more fun. The 944T is a different car all together and something you might consider as you can find one in the 3-3500K range that will need work.

I'll email you off the list for your phone number so we can talk and help you find what you want. You just think about your initial budget and what your expectation is, I think we can find you something in short order.

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: