Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Valves?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Valves? Reply with quote

Does anyone have a source for the intake and exhaust valves for a NA? I talked to SI Valves and the said haven't had the 9mm stem ones for a couple of years although in the 2016 catalog. They referred me to KPMI who make a lot of hot rod specialty parts particularly for bikes and UTV's and they haven't returned calls or emails. I can't go the the large valve setup.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use whatever is available (thinner) and get custom valve guides, this is also a noticeable performance upgrade since more air will get into the engine as less volume is occupied by the valve.
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morghen
Would like to go that way, found from SI catalog both BMW and Fiat 8mm valves guides with the same OD and close length, nothing in the 7mm tho. This is sort of an interim motor to get the car running and learn how to drive it. A lot of this is the learning curve for building a reasonably powerful, but reliable motor without spending $10-$15k with one of the 2 or 3 folks in this country who know what to do with this motor.

Today, I'm sending parts off to a local race car machinist who has done this type of thing before. His comment was that he has a 196-- Citroen running on Mitsubishi valves, so it should be doable.

'67 MG Midget Dp
gegge  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used $25 6mm Ferrea valves from the Competition Plus series, long blanks. The spring was a Ferrea beehive made for Ford SOHC 24V. So was the reatiner.

924 turbo -81 Carrera GT RESTOMOD
924 turbo -80 Dolomite De Luxe
924 -85 DP kit, BBS RS, M030 and tuned engine
924s -86 Black on black turbo with Fuchs
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked into that setup and appears that both intake and exhaust will have to be made smaller, intake by 2mm and exhaust by 1mm. For valve guides I could only find rough 6mm blanks by SI that would have to be turned down to size and shortened. It would provide a much lighter valve train and also solve the problem I have found with NA motors with the valves wearing out on the valve guides. I'm going to look further into this scheme.

I have taken apart 4 NA heads and valve stem wear has been a problem with all of them. It is probably due to the motor sitting at an angle along with very heavy valves. With the last head I did I had a total of 10 or 11 intake valves to work with including 2 or 3 new ones. My stash is now 3 so out of 2 heads I got nmt 2 reusable valves. On the exhausts I had 16 valves and have 3 left, some of them were burned rather than worn out. The one 931 head I have the valves appear to be good.

'67 MG Midget Dp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: